Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 05:09:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327632 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The World Ends with You
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: The World Ends with You  (Read 10106 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2008, 02:45:00 AM »

Yeah, the more stuff I see opening up for Shiki, the more I realize...

Well, stuff opens up as you go along. I *like* that.

I really need to start using the "sub" setting for certain pins so that I like, LAUNCH said motorcycle at the enemy instead of attacking it.

---edit---

also what the hell why are people complaining about Persona 3 music but not http://youtube.com/watch?v=sCNyNmuFSlw

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
also what the hell why are people complaining about Persona 3 music but not http://youtube.com/watch?v=sCNyNmuFSlw

You're KIDDING me right? You're comparing Persona 3's crap to one of the better power metal boss battle themes that Uematsu has created?

Seriously, the singing may be annoying, but the music is pretty damned cool. I'd take it over Persona 3s music ANY DAY. Then again, I hate contemporary R&B.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2008, 06:31:08 PM »

I'm not one to usually do this but I'm going to assume you're either sarcastic or just have bad taste in music.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I'm not one to usually do this but I'm going to assume you're either sarcastic or just have bad taste in music.

He probably means it. Personally, I kinda like it because of how stupidly bad it is, but it's far from being a favorite track of Uematsu's.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 07:26:57 PM »

I liked that Blue Dragon track (save for the singing; it wasn't theatrical enough.)  I grew up on 80s metal and love power metal (I love Sonata Arctica) so it's the kind of music that turns my knobs.  And you know what?  Those spandex-clad, high-haired mofos in bands like Dokken could fucking shred on guitar.  I'll take 80s glam metal over modern day popular "rock" music any day.

Anyway, it's interesting how much context can really change a soundtrack.  When I listened to the samples on Pat's review of TWEWY, I thought they were horrible.  But while playing the game, the music's growing on me.  I simply cannot imagine the game having any other type of soundtrack.  And some of the tracks like "Calling" are quite good.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2008, 07:58:44 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I liked that Blue Dragon track (save for the singing; it wasn't theatrical enough.)  I grew up on 80s metal and love power metal (I love Sonata Arctica) so it's the kind of music that turns my knobs.  And you know what?  Those spandex-clad, high-haired mofos in bands like Dokken could fucking shred on guitar.  I'll take 80s glam metal over modern day popular "rock" music any day.

Anyway, it's interesting how much context can really change a soundtrack.  When I listened to the samples on Pat's review of TWEWY, I thought they were horrible.  But while playing the game, the music's growing on me.  I simply cannot imagine the game having any other type of soundtrack.  And some of the tracks like "Calling" are quite good.

I agree, the soundtrack is growing on me too. It's by the same person that did the Crisis Core soundtrack, which I thought was superb (see my review if you don't know what I mean).

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »

I like Three Minutes Clapping, as well as Calling.  Twister is just fun, but makes a lick of sense.

I'm actually quite surprised by the games dialogue.  Even though sometimes the slang seems forced, a lot of it is quite appropriate and characters are certainly well spoken when need be (or in order to match their appearance).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2008, 02:40:02 AM »

Being finals week (and being supposed to be working on a Russian ePortfolio which is going slowly and I have no idea how to use Powerpoint to create attractive looking whateverthehells it makes OH god) I haven't had a chance to play the game much recently but I will say that Neku's assholishness is kind of bizarre.

Entirely speculation so I'm not spoilering this out but it's like since he has amnesia from the beginning of the game, he just picked up some sort of random personality. He's a douche, but in a really dissociated and emptyish sort of way -- like he's just existing and not actually doing anything beyond that.

I THINK that's what they were trying to do with Cloud in FFVII, really, but who knows.

Ну, мне надо заниматься...

---edit---

also, for the record, I honestly think P3's battle system has far more in common with highlife than straight-up rap or R&B. Yeah, the singing bits are rapped, but the horn sections are straight up highlife. I think you could make an argument for ska too, maybe, but ska seems to almost require a piano anymore, and skat mixed with rap are something you're far more likely to hear in highlife than ska. That, and the guitar skronk-mimicing-a-bass thing makes me think highlife too, though I don't know why.

For people that saying WEWY's music works better in context, not that the composer started out a synth programmer. There's probably a connection there.

In the case of Blue Dragon's boss theme, it's not so much that it's a Dragonforce ripoff (Which is silly as Dragonforce is perfectly capable of ripping off themselves) with terrible singing overtop. It's the complete lack of cohesion between the elements. The singing doesn't sound like it's PART of the song. There's a random-ass organ solo in there for some reason. In regards to the singing, it's not even that the lyrics are stupid and sound like the guy's making them up as he goes along. It's the complete disregard for rhythm. Or lyrics that take advantage of the natural rhythmic properties of the English language.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2008, 08:15:57 AM »

FWIW, the WEWY soundtrack is available on iTunes.  Sweet.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2008, 06:16:09 AM »

yeah, its crazy, but yahtzee (aka zero punctuation) finally reviews a JRPG

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/67-The-World-Ends-With-You

...as with almost everygame he reviews, he doesn't like it

hilarious!
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2008, 07:13:49 AM »

Yahtzee’s almost always entertaining, even when I completely disagree with his reviews.

I think I’ll grab this game tomorrow. It’s been a while since I played an RPG, and something fast paced like this seems just perfect.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2008, 07:21:09 AM »

Yahtzee's review was amusing, but I'm surprised he didn't rag on the game's music.  I'd have thought he'd have a field day doing that.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »

iirc, he doesn't really speak about any games music...

but agreed, something about this game's music that i didn't like...
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »

This is a bit off topic, and I apologize, but since we're talking about Blue Dragon's boss music, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5eW9g5sOZY

I'm sorry, but that track is one of the worst I've ever heard. In anything. You can't excuse the lyrics/vocals! I can't figure out if it's better or worse than the final boss music...
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »

Yahtzee did a review of TWEWY and I don't think he played it very far 'cause all of his complaints are valid for the first couple of days and almost made me quit playing but said problems sort of dissapear around day 4.

But yeah, question. How can a professional singer from a real band that was popular completely miss the concepts of "singing along with the music," "not sounding like you're making up lyrics as you go along," and "not intonating words wrong or ending syllables on the wrong letter."

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: