Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 05:57:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338700 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IV DS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IV DS  (Read 2488 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »

Things are pointing towards a NA release. It has a E10+ rating from the US ESRB. Heres the link:  http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp

I know I'll be getting it if it makes it across the border... Also has a subtitle, Chapters of the Chosen.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »

Nice find. The subtitle throws me off though. Most people agree the subtitle to the game should be something like "the people are shown the way." But whatevs...I'll take it. :)

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 06:16:21 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Nice find. The subtitle throws me off though. Most people agree the subtitle to the game should be something like "the people are shown the way." But whatevs...I'll take it. :)

Thanks :). Yeah, the subtitle throws me off also. Why do the main installments in this series always have to have a subtitle. Why can't it just be Dragon Quest IV. Final Fantasy only has subtitles for their spin-offs...

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »

The subtitle certainly fits, considering the game centers around a chapter system, and the original Japanese subtitle loosely translates as "The Chosen/Guided Ones". I'll certainly be getting this one, and hope we get the remakes of the fifth and sixth installments.

death919

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:17:47 AM »

Hey cool!  It's good to see they're going back and translating the DQ games that were never translated back in the day!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:35:05 AM »

Quote from: "death919"
Hey cool!  It's good to see they're going back and translating the DQ games that were never translated back in the day!

We didn't miss out on DQIV though. Its remake, yes, but the original came here, and was the last of the main games until VII.
death919

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 01:37:03 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "death919"

We didn't miss out on DQIV though. Its remake, yes, but the original came here, and was the last of the main games until VII.

Woah really?  I always thought that 4, 5, and 6 never ended up making it here... hmm well I guess I was wrong then but I still can't wait for this one! :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 01:40:52 AM »

It's probably because of the aforementioned remake that it'd seem like a game we lost (and the DS game looks very similar to that one). Nevertheless it did make it the least playable of the DQs since it's the only one that didn't have a release with an all-in-one button like all future installments and most every other RPG out there.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 02:56:53 AM »

I'm not as into the DQ series as some seem to be.  I only vaguely remember playing the first two way back when, never touched VII, and I don't think I'm even halfway through VIII (though I do like it).

Anyone care to sell me on the good/bad points of DQIVDS?  Is this a must play?  Give it a casual try?  Or should I just run away, far away and never come near the francise again?

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:01:09 AM »

Quote from: "Spoony Mage"
Or should I just run away, far away and never come near the francise again?

Only if you don't like this game. This is considered one of the top ones, plus it has a unique chapter system whose closest competition is SuikIII, and I'm pretty sure DQIV's infinitely more fun to play than that.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:14:59 AM »

I think this summer I'm going to attempt going through the whole DQ series (main installments only, no weird side-game stuff) just so I have a good footing with it (like I do with FF).

Maybe i should do that with Phantasy Star as well. :P

DQ IV DS looks hot.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 05:49:01 AM »

As a Dragon Quest fan, I should be getting this.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »

In the remakes, they gave you control over your other party members right?

Probably the biggest pain in the original.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 11:30:29 AM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
In the remakes, they gave you control over your other party members right?

Probably the biggest pain in the original.

I've played the PSX remake of DQ4 and there, they did allow you to manually input commands for your allies, and I would be surprised if they didn't allow this in the DS port.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 05:56:06 PM »

So before we even have a chance to worry about DQV, SE's trademarked what must be the subtitle. I can't think of anything else that could possibly use that, and it's very close to DQV's Japanese subtitle.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: