Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:43:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338010 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IV DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IV DS  (Read 2479 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »

Well, maybe by the time DQIX rolls around we will have DQ IV, V here in the US, and possibly VI. That would be nice. Hopefully they get to do that worldwide release they keep hoping to do soon on all their games.

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 03:16:35 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Spoony Mage"
Or should I just run away, far away and never come near the francise again?

Only if you don't like this game. This is considered one of the top ones, plus it has a unique chapter system whose closest competition is SuikIII, and I'm pretty sure DQIV's infinitely more fun to play than that.

Seeing as I've never played Suikoden III, I've no basis for comparison.  Still, that's encouraging news.  I tend to see a lot of fanart for DSIV, so I figured it was popular in some way.

Not that fanart is a real basis for gauging popularity or anything.  But fan hype is fan hype.  :P

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 12:43:51 AM »

The Chapter system is basically just you playing as several different characters before finally playing the main character him/herself. It's not an exact comparison since SuikIII had you jumping back and forth between characters while DQIV only has a single chapter devoted to a character, but it gets the point across.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »

DQ4's chapter system is strictly linear while Suikoden III allows freedom of choice of different characters' chapters after completing each, so the comparison between them is faulty at best.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
DQ4's chapter system is strictly linear while Suikoden III allows freedom of choice of different characters' chapters after completing each, so the comparison between them is faulty at best.

Ok, come up with a better example then sir!

(I actually thought of one, Mother 3, but that unfortunately didn't come out here.)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 11:48:49 PM »

Ok, come up with a better example then sir!

A chapter book.

:v

:V

:\/

:\/

But seriously. How do you want to define chapters, here? In DQIV, chapters were story chunks, basically, with their own areas and characters. the gameplay wasn't radically different between them.

Also, technically, "chapter based" and "episodic" are very similar, which means you can throw in a lot of old shareware RPGs and, really, a lot of RPGs that let you transfer characters between games if you want to.

Or why not something like Persona 3? Months are pretty much chapters, in a fairly similar sense to DQ4.

Or PS3's generations.

Chapters are sort of an arbitrary demarcation for pretentious authors that have a proclivity towards large words.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 11:55:23 PM »

Chapter system, huh?  Sounds like what they did with Growlanser: Heritage of War, except they were called Roles but I guess it's the same idea.  You started with chapters featuring different characters before you get to the Main, then also had a few optional chapters later in the game.

Still, sounds like fun.  I'll have to try it, it'd be nice to have another DS RPG besides the upcoming FFIVDS.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 01:04:16 AM »

Quote from: "Spoony Mage"
Chapter system, huh?  Sounds like what they did with Growlanser: Heritage of War, except they were called Roles but I guess it's the same idea.  You started with chapters featuring different characters before you get to the Main, then also had a few optional chapters later in the game.

This is what I mean, switching perspectives with chapters then possibly landing behind a single lead in the end, not simply dividing up a game into chapters.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 01:16:05 AM »

BTW I know I'm alone on this one, but I loved how DW7 looked. The grainy spritse and texture sort of turned into this demented pointilist oil painted gestalt after a while.

Anyway though if this comes out this summer, awesome. FFIV looks like it fixes every problem I had with the original and then some, and DQIV would be another nice, summery game. I'm digging WEWY, but that's one of the most autumnal games I've played since like, goddamn Nocturne (And if I'm going to bleed the topic of music appropriateness to hear [I am] then it's more on a temporal and less location-wise basis that I find the music in WEWY and P3 appropriate. You could maybe make a case for spring -- spring and fall are sort of similar -- but we didn't have spring in Ohio this year and I'm rather pissed about that. Associative tendencies, wot-wot, I want to be a hyena eating glue).

Persona 3 was more of an august thing. That quesy, overheated, hay-scented bit between between real-summer and early-fall.

I wasn't even into Dragon Warrior till last summer and I've spent the most time on 7 and I've played that consistently and spread out over several months -- it's like watching TV. Playing DQ7 is just something I do in the evenings. It's not gaming. It's playing DQ7. I don't know why the overlap's not there -- so there's not particular time, except maybe the day before I picked it up when I was walking around town and renaming streets and fictionalizing locations and pretending I was watching airplanes fly across the surface of the moon (Eating pumpkin pie ice cream, rushing back to see a concert, being too tired to enjoy it, the concert sucking anyway. Why don't I feel like 2007 even happened, and another school year's almost gone). I don't have those associations. This'll be interesting.

I always liked the *idea* behind strictly ai-controlled characters in DW4. It's just that the AI was bad that was offputting about it. You wouldn't have even needed full on commands. Just general command sets like "Use your weapon's special power!" or "Use magic!" or "Heal me you goddamned betentacled blob!"

Still, though, as others have said I think the most exciting potential is in the future release of DQ5 and 6 here (Even though 6 was sort of offputting to me; I don't know why. I hear it's the best, but I enjoyed 7 and 8 more, and 5 sounds cooler. I didn't, admittedly, much play of it, but it never really clicked with me. I seem to recall getting somewhere and then realizing I'd need to leave and go level up for a bit. DQ8 only has a tiny bit of powerlevelling at the beginning. It's only annoying though if you get to the end of the dungeon and realize you have to go back. THAT'S what hurts).

I did love the way so many of the caves had little orange lanterns in them. I adore orange lanterns.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 08:27:01 AM »

That is the greatest post ever.

And I also dug DQVII's grafix. Coulda done without that fucking wretched FMV though.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »

Yeah. As someone who adores the oldschool 3D style where everything is fairly detailed but utterly textureless (SU27 Flanker, FFVII, Frontier: Elite 2, Mercenary 2: Damocles, Out of this World TECHNICALLY...) it doesn't really work when translated to FMV.

Not to mention DQVII's FMVs never occured when they'd make any sort of sense. Or without any sort of regularity. Although I guess that means they also mostly forgot to stop doing them entirely after a certain point which is good (as opposed to XG, who's little anime cutscenes I like because I think 70s-styled anime is just the absolute most).

By the way, what's up with DQIX now? I know some people aer miffed it's no longer an action RPG anymore -- which doesn't bug me much even though I tend to like more actiony RPGs -- mostly because Enix seems to know what they're doing with that kind of battle system, but what's all this hubub about online stuff?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »

I liked DQ7 but the graphics made it look far more like one of the first Playstation RPGs rather than one of the last.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: