Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 05:23:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341083 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Operation Darkness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Operation Darkness  (Read 3513 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »

Well, I'm a big survival horror fan so I've got quite the experience in overlooking annoyances and focusing on the strong points of games.  It looks like Operation Darkness might be a good game that just has a very harsh learning curve.  Now, I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case, but I haven't played enough of it to tell one way or the other.  Plus it's been my general experience that demos aren't very useful when it comes to RPGs: I know I'm not the only one who hated the Blue Dragon demo but loved the actual game.

Now, I'm not saying that Operation Darkness is necessarily a good game, but it does seem like people are being harsher on it than it deserves.  A 1/10 for graphics?  Really?  A score that bad implies that this game looks like a bad PS1 game which is not even close to the case.  Rather it looks like an average PS2 Strategy/RPG albeit with the benefit of high def.

Will I buy Operation Darkness at launch?  No.  But I might pick it up in the bargain bin a few months later and give it a whirl then.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »

A game has to be a special kind of garbage when the official Xbox magazine can't apologize for it and gives it an overall of 20%.

But hey, apologists made excuses for this too a generation ago on the PlayStation 2:

Comparatively speaking, Operation Darkness and Ephemeral Fantasia share much in common.  They both suffer from amateur art direction that barely cuts it on the previous generation of consoles, much less the current gen, they both contain unappealing gameplay to the average gamer, they've both received terrible reviews as a result, and they both have the gall to charge full retail price at launch.  Operation Darkness deserves whatever miserable scores it receives.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 11:58:44 PM »

I'd save a 1 for something atrociously broken, possibly to the point to make someone physically ill yet has no redeeming qualities (I'm pretty sure Two Worlds started giving me a headache because of the horrible and erratic framerate), but whatever. It's just a score.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »

Review could've certainly had a bit more detail and have done without lines like "added bonus" (just "bonus" since bonuses aren't anything but added), but I'll certainly be staying away from this one if I get an Xbox 360.

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »

Are we even looking at the same game here?  I look at Operation Darkness and see attractive character designs and a clean interface combined with bland (but realistic) environments and lame enemies, all in HD. It's not oh-my-gosh impressive, but I would say it looks at least as good as any of the PS2 Strategy/RPGs I can think of (I just looked up some Front Mission pics and I was shocked at how ugly that game was).  I think people are bashing the game's visuals just because they dislike the gameplay.

In any case, I'm almost positive that Disgaea 3 won't be receiving any 1/10s for its visuals despite looking like a handheld game simply because most people like the series and are likely to be lenient on its shortcomings.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Are we even looking at the same game here?  I look at Operation Darkness and see attractive character designs

The character art looks pretty good, but the actual character models?

I mean, just look at that face. Doesn't that give you nightmares?

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »

Her one titty is about the same size as her head goddamn.

Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 04:23:36 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
In any case, I'm almost positive that Disgaea 3 won't be receiving any 1/10s for its visuals despite looking like a handheld game simply because most people like the series and are likely to be lenient on its shortcomings.
While I agree that will likely be the case, Disgaea's art is far more interesting than what I have seen from this game. Even if you threw in all graphical tech that the most critically acclaimed next gen games make use of, it still would look...meh.  Not trying to insult anyone but when it comes to this game's graphics it is both technically and artistically uninteresting.

It's a shame because I think the whole WWII premise with or without the werewolves and vampires would be a perfect fit for the console's current install base. It's a concept that has been better realized in VC on PS3(I know it's not WWII but it basically still fits.).
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »

I still wonder what kind of criteria does atlus have to choose what games to bring... I mean Im grateful  of their work, but they should try to bring better games...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »

The game felt like it had a solid core of gameplay if you could look past the annoyances.

I really couldn't give a flying fuck about this game because it's for some expensive future technology I'll NEVER, EVER OWN, but "solid gameplay mechanics if you can look past some annoyances" applies to, uh, most of the games your average RPG fan would consider canonical.

Especially considering how annoying grinding is and how many are from the grindfest era. FF4 much?

Just one example, though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »

Quote from: "macirex"
I still wonder what kind of criteria does atlus have to choose what games to bring... I mean Im grateful  of their work, but they should try to bring better games...

I've actually been wondering that for sometime now.
Atlus has brought probably some of the best gems to a few consoles.... but fuck, they're usually diamonds in a mine shaft of rough.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »

There was a post on the Atlus forums regarding the low review scores of this game and basically nailed what's going on here. Atlus is no longer the only company to bring over niche titles anymore. As other companies have seen the rampant success of such games (Persona 3, for example), they've started bringing over Japanese titles that wouldn't make their way over here any other way. Therefore, Atlus is left with... well, titles like this. Titles that nobody else would touch.

Which is a damn shame, because I could tell Atlus tried with this game (even leaving in full German names for the skills...).
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 01:09:40 AM »

Atlus also brought over Growlanser V: Generations, which is, by far, the worst title in the entire series.  I, too, really wonder what the hell they're thinking sometimes.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 01:20:37 AM »

Probably leadup to GrowVI, or at least if it did well.

... Actually, it is still $50 at stores while Magna Carta plummeted very, very fast so maybe they'd still bring over VI?
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 02:58:23 AM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
Her one titty is about the same size as her head goddamn.

rofl
so true...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: