Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  IGN's GTA IV Review
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: IGN's GTA IV Review  (Read 8096 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:21:50 PM »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/869/869541p1.html

Dear god that is the most biased review I have ever seen in my life.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »

I do expect the game to be nothing short of awesome-fucken-fun.  But yeah, the review is shedding more love than a fat kid for candy.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »

A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect -- it means a game is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond its competitors that they overshadows any flaws.

Bullshit.  It's gonna play exactly like every other GTA minus the first one.

PS -- Idolizing gangs is why kids these days are violent little shit heads.

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »

Meh. I never really liked GTA. The gangster setting is not one that I care for in video games. It's cool to see them in movies(I'm talking about stuff like Goodfellas, not 'gangstas'), but I just don't care enough about it to play it. No amount of super violence can change that. And when I tried out GTA III it wasn't just that aspect that bothered me. My opinion hasn't changed and I'm just gonna pass this up.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »

I'm sure the game is fine and all...but Christ, that review read like something from Ain't It Cool News:  one part informative, nine parts fanboy wank.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
I'm sure the game is fine and all...but Christ, that review read like something from Ain't It Cool News:  one part informative, nine parts fanboy wank.

I agree completely.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:07:23 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Bullshit.  It's gonna play exactly like every other GTA minus the first one.

I've never been a lover of the GTA games, but I have to defend the new one from this charge.  From what I've seen of the new targeting and cover abilities, this one will have a plotline may like the others, but the actual moment-to-moment gameplay will be significantly different, and in a good way.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »

I'm surprised points weren't taken off for PS2-ish graphics.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »

I smell payoff.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »

Oh no, did someone write a positive review about a videogame they really, really liked.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »

Or they decided to suck off Rockstar Games in lieu of critiquing a game in a positive manner.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

I dunno why this review is getting such a bashing, maybe because this is an RPG forum?  Have any of you doubters played GTA IV yet?  It's not an RPG, but it is a pretty damn good game.  To say it's the exact same as the others is wrong.  It's got similarities of course, but a lot has changed.  Throw on the apparently awesome multiplayer and the fact that the game is going to break all kinds of entertainment records (the ones that Halo 3 just set) and I can easily see why this game got a perfect score.

Don't get me wrong, either.  I'm not a huge GTA fan, I've never even played San Andreas, but Rockstar puts a lot of content in their games and I really can't see what else they could include in GTA IV.  You even get an achievement for the first time you take a girl back to her house, it's called Warm Coffee.

What exactly is the issue to be had with this review?  The fact that it's a perfect score, or the fact that it's IGN giving a perfect score which means they are clearly paid off?

Edit:  I would also like to note that I did not read any of the 7 pages of the review, just the final score and the reasoning.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 12:42:54 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
I dunno why this review is getting such a bashing, maybe because this is an RPG forum?  Have any of you doubters played GTA IV yet?  It's not an RPG, but it is a pretty damn good game.  To say it's the exact same as the others is wrong.  It's got similarities of course, but a lot has changed.  Throw on the apparently awesome multiplayer and the fact that the game is going to break all kinds of entertainment records (the ones that Halo 3 just set) and I can easily see why this game got a perfect score.

Don't get me wrong, either.  I'm not a huge GTA fan, I've never even played San Andreas, but Rockstar puts a lot of content in their games and I really can't see what else they could include in GTA IV.  You even get an achievement for the first time you take a girl back to her house, it's called Warm Coffee.

What exactly is the issue to be had with this review?  The fact that it's a perfect score, or the fact that it's IGN giving a perfect score which means they are clearly paid off?

Edit:  I would also like to note that I did not read any of the 7 pages of the review, just the final score and the reasoning.

The issue IS the reasoning behing it. For example, they say in the review that the game has some framerate issues, even more on the 360 version than the PS3 version, plus there is pop-up on textures etc... yet they say despite this they are willing to give the graphics category a 10?! Thats bull crap, especially considering Mass Effect got nailed on graphics for stuff like that...

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

Those double standards on IGN have almost always been there.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
Quote from: "Masamune"

The issue IS the reasoning behing it. For example, they say in the review that the game has some framerate issues, even more on the 360 version than the PS3 version, plus there is pop-up on textures etc... yet they say despite this they are willing to give the graphics category a 10?! Thats bull crap, especially considering Mass Effect got nailed on graphics for stuff like that...

That's not really a double standard though.  He had to atleast mention that the game wasn't -flawless- looking, but I can say personally it looks better then Mass Effect.  Mass Effect had that lame bloomy/hazey look to it.  The framerate issues aren't on the same level as ME's either.  I'm not sure you can make GTA IV look any better then it is, especially on 360 considering the limitations they have.  Plus that's the PS3 review and the PS3 version does look slightly better then the 360 version.  I know, they both got 10's, but that's because they are the same game essentially.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: