Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 12:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331779 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Sausage Fest: Fourth Edition.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sausage Fest: Fourth Edition.  (Read 4718 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2008, 02:44:43 PM »

Anyone else EXCITED AS FUCK about Dungeons & Dragons: 4th Edition?

At first I was kinda skeptical and some of the things I have seen and heard do not sound like good choices.  IE -- The termination of CRs.  ...But a few things sound pretty cool, like new rules on levelling up and down monsters to provide differing challenges, new "Dragonborn" race, and new ways of multiclassing.

I haven't played D&D in years, but I may have to seek out some folks if 4E ends up being something that might be fun and not the mess I really hope it's not.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »

I only played the paper version once, and have always wanted to play more.  I just don't have any friends who I see offline who play it.  Or maybe they just don't want to admit it... ;)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »

I'm pretty excited about it. I only get to play a few times a year, but I still like it when I do. Some of the things I've seen for 4th edition are really cool. The revamped magic system, skill groups, and the new encounter system (where encounters are designed around parties of diverse monsters that work together to create a tough skirmish) are some of my most anticipated changes. I don't like that they've cut a lot of the more social classes out of the core PHB. The big problem that I've noticed is everything is defined in terms of comabt now. I just hope the game doesn't turn into hack n' slash with dice and paper. I tend to run a lot of heavy storytelling in my games. There is easily as much time spent outside of combat as there is spent in combat

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »

I'm reading the PHB right now. So far, so good. Some changes are downright strange but I think I'll get used to them. I just love people bitching about the skill system. These are probably the same people that bitched about the skill changes from 2e to 3e (personally 3e had way too many skills but since 2e required you to give your DM a handjob to know more than how to tie your shoes I overlooked it quite easily), when the skills in 4e are really a much better thought out version of the 2e skill system.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »

I am currently trying to find a group to play with. I haven't played in a long long time, and this seems like a good time to get back into it.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:32:15 AM »

I doubt I'll be changing over, at least for a long while. I've heard some nasty things about 4th edition, and there are classes absent from the PHB. A second one is going to be released with the rest of the classes, or so I've heard, maybe a year later.

Wizards are supposed to be generous.
The Wizards of the Coast are corrupt.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 01:54:54 PM »

I haven't read all the new books but I can say the missing stuff as compared to 3e really doesn't matter IMO. No one played gnomes and monks weren't ever the most popular classes. Actually considering the ridiculous amount of classes that they released in 3e the basica phb could be considered leaving out classes as well. I think the Warlock and Warlord classes stand up pretty well compared to if they just used the same basic races/classes from 3e.

I haven't actually played yet though, so that's the kicker. I'll leave all final conclusions until I actually get to bash the hell out of a goblin.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"
I am currently trying to find a group to play with. I haven't played in a long long time, and this seems like a good time to get back into it.

If we can somehow find the time, and Eve either A) Doesnt find out or B) doesnt give me loads of shit.....i MAY consider playing.

Seeing as how I've never played D&D, I am unawares as to what the major differences between the editions, but I hear 4th is supposed to be good for beginners and vets alike.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:29:05 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"

If we can somehow find the time, and Eve either A) Doesnt find out or B) doesnt give me loads of shit.....i MAY consider playing.

Seeing as how I've never played D&D, I am unawares as to what the major differences between the editions, but I hear 4th is supposed to be good for beginners and vets alike.

We should all play a game over Vent sometime.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »

www.meetup.com is a good place to find a gaming group. I'm pretty heavily into board games (the most nerdy gaming hobby) and I've had great luck meeting people to play with. Then again, I live in Chicago. But, depending on where you live, it's pretty cool.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:46:17 AM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

I cant tell if you're serious or not. If you are.....FUCK YES, I demand John play too.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 11:27:07 AM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

I cant tell if you're serious or not. If you are.....FUCK YES, I demand John play too.

Fuck no I'm not serious. :P  I thought the Vent part gave that way.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 11:59:52 AM »

It's okay, Dade, I'll play with you (ooer).  I'm also always a Cleric, so you don't need to try and track one down.  :P

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: