Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 08:31:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338610 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Horror RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Horror RPGs  (Read 7717 times)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 02:50:28 AM »

For Horror/Comedy I'd say Dead Rising.

[/url]
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 02:51:47 AM »

Shadow Madness for the PS1 definitely has some horror elements to it... creepy title, but blatant FF7 ripoff.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 05:40:14 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
The "Soylent System" in Xenogears gave me the creeps.

It initiated my gag reflex. Only game I've ever played that led me to throw up. I shit you not, friends. I was 14 years old, and as soon as that mutant thing fell through the chute screaming, and Citan explained that we just *drank* that shit...my mind couldn't get off the slurping sound effect, and then I ran to the bathroom and just let it all out. I couldn't drink a milkshake for months after that...

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 07:09:33 AM »

what about the first Shadow Hearts?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 09:59:17 AM »

I definitely agree, we need more horror in console rpgs. On the ps2 the only ones that come to mind are shadow hearts and the DDS games.
A rpg with a silent hill vibe would be welcome.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

The only horror in Shadow Hearts is the Sea Mother sequence...
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 01:00:51 PM »

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit 3:

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
The only horror in Shadow Hearts is the Sea Mother sequence...

Not a funny joke anymore. The actual horror in Shadow Hearts can be found mostly in Asia... Zhaoyang Village's cannibalism, Li Li and the Dalian creepiness, Kowloon Fortress and its twisted individuals...

Leading us into the Inquisition and the Mental Hospital in Europe. The hospital in particular creeped me out more than any other RPG locale.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »

Doesn't make it any less true....

Anyway, yes, Shadow Hearts has horror themes, but I haven't played an RPG yet that comes close to Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, or Fatal Frame.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »

Pretty much already been said here but

Koudelka
Shadow Hearts 1 (which was very Lovecraftian)
Persona games  (particularly Persona 2)
Parasite Eve 1 & 2

Which is a shame, because I'd like to see more of a blending of the two.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »

Horror is tricky because it's so dependent on atmosphere, and it doesn't take much to fuck that up.  That's why I never thought the first Shadow Hearts was all that horrific:  it'd hit you with something heavy, then turn right around with something ridiculous that would kill the mood, whether it be the silliness of Sea Mother or Margarete's James Bond bullshit or Yuri's whole "it's the early 20th century but I talk like a 1980s era surfer" thing.  Of course, as far as that goes, the sequels make the first game look like "The Castle of Otranto" in comparison. :P

System Shock 2 is the polar opposite of that:   you experience total immersion from the first minute of play, and it never lets up.  I don't really count it as a RPG, but I do consider it one of the very few examples of video game horror done right.

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 06:27:01 PM »

Snatcher for the Sega CD.

My God...  The most nauseating moment for me in any game ever was that poor fucking eviscerated dog.

The maggot filled head twisted and torn straight off that fellow was also intensely horrifying.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 08:27:23 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
Horror is tricky because it's so dependent on atmosphere, and it doesn't take much to fuck that up.  That's why I never thought the first Shadow Hearts was all that horrific:  it'd hit you with something heavy, then turn right around with something ridiculous that would kill the mood, whether it be the silliness of Sea Mother or Margarete's James Bond bullshit or Yuri's whole "it's the early 20th century but I talk like a 1980s era surfer" thing.  Of course, as far as that goes, the sequels make the first game look like "The Castle of Otranto" in comparison. :P

Weird you should mention Castle of Otranto, I just read that novel. In any case, I'm with you D-Rider. Too many games fuck up horror by liberally injecting silliness. Silliness is different from humor, lots of horror has humor (Nightmare on Elm Street is a perfect example) but silliness feels more like a cop out, like "We don't want to try to be scary and fail, so will add jokes so that way we don't have to try that hard." It cheapens the entire thing. Freddy's jokes are both funny and menacing, if anything they add to the horror rather than water it down.

And MeshGearFox, while I'm a personal fan of almost every game you've mentioned, I think you are confusing atmosphere with horror. X-Com has a strong sense of setting and atmosphere (and a certain amount of suspense) but it is not horrific. But, if you like that sort of tense, jumpy game play experience. You should give an old PC strategy game called Space Hulk (or its sequel Vengeance of the Blood Angels) a try. It's great, like Aliens, but a video game. It's based on a Games Workshop board game of the same name.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »

well... i only stated Shadow Hearts, not in comparison to other games, but only comparing it to other JRPGs... and I dont think other RPGs have succeeded, SH tries...

and no, I don't think Persona games are horror...
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »

What kind of horror are you talking about?

I'm talking more about Lovecraftian horror except I barely read anything by lovecraft so I don't like that term. There is something lurking here but we don't know what. Etc.?

Let's go with the wikipedia article here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_fiction.

"Horror fiction is, broadly, fiction in any medium intended to scare, unsettle, or horrify the audience. Historically, the cause of the "horror" experience has often been the intrusion of an evil - or, occasionally, misunderstood - supernatural element into everyday human experience."

It's that intrusion that I'm talking about. UFO Defense was scary because the aliens were on farms and in suburban environments.

And what I said about the biolab in SGF, or Apoc as a whole, in the sense of finding places that don't make any sense... they're not supernatural, but they're *things that shouldn't be* that *are* anyway.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: