Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 01:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334761 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Horror RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Horror RPGs  (Read 7685 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 11:48:29 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit 3:

Just wanted to say I catch the Earthbound reference. So twisted.

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:04 AM »

I'm gonna throw Bioshock into the mix.  I'm well aware it's not an RPG, but since we're talking about System Shock 1 and 2 as well, might as well.  It's got some decent RPGish elements to it, but the atmosphere in Bioshock is fucking perfect.  Dialogue, atmosphere, environment.  Everything is done so well.  Not to mention Houdini Splicer's, fake corpses that come to life when you're not looking, wax figures that aren't really wax figures, old hags hiding behind coffins, etc.

I can't really name any pure RPG's that are horror.  There's some fucked up shit in RPG's, but nothing that really has me on the edge of my seat totally scared.  Although when Dante chases you around in SMT: Nocturne that kinda had my heart pumping, but only because he's so damn fast and he's unloading Ebony & Ivory on you every second he can.

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter definitely has a horror vibe to it despite the lack of boo moments.  I'd also definitely include the King's Field series as a nice example of Horror/RPG.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »

Hey yeah, KF works, though I've only played Eternal Ring and the first one, and only the first one really extensively. I liked how in the first one, each weapon kind of felt different. I can't really describe it. I guess it's like, okay, you have a huge heavy swords. It's going to act like that. Compared to Oblivion where everything sort of feels weightless. Or Morrowind which was even worse about it (Who played Morrowind for the combat, though? Seriously).

Also thought the faceless, textureless NPCs and enemies helped the creepiness. Made everything seem alien.

Also, those stupid ghosts. Those things were peculiar.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 08:05:35 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
"Horror fiction is, broadly, fiction in any medium intended to scare, unsettle, or horrify the audience. Historically, the cause of the "horror" experience has often been the intrusion of an evil - or, occasionally, misunderstood - supernatural element into everyday human experience."

It's that intrusion that I'm talking about. UFO Defense was scary because the aliens were on farms and in suburban environments.

And what I said about the biolab in SGF, or Apoc as a whole, in the sense of finding places that don't make any sense... they're not supernatural, but they're *things that shouldn't be* that *are* anyway.

Okay, I'll buy that. What you identify with is a strong sense of the sublime and "uncanny" as used by Freud (as if either you or I truly cared about him). Make sense to me. That's an element of horror. Another aspect of horror (which most of the games in this thread seem to draw on) is the Gothic (as described by the Gothic movement in literature). This is a movement about supernatural terror and also romanticism (dreary castles, family curses, etc. etc. etc.) But you're right, both are part of "horror" equally.

Not to be too pretentious about the entire thing.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 09:16:10 PM »

Not to be too pretentious about the entire thing.

But that's what RPG BBSes are for!

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »

The most creepy, unsettling, and even scary location I've been to in a Japanese RPG is easily the sanitarium in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.  

But as far as creepy horror games go, System Shock 2 scared the piss out of me.  And graphic adventures have done the atmospheric horror/thriller thing very well.  I hear a sequel to Still Life is coming out later this year.  That game was pretty unsettling.  And as embarassing as this may sound, the Splatterhouse games were frightening to me.  

I usually tend to stay away from horror anything, though.  I get nightmares way too easily.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »

I thought the hospital in SMT: N was creepier than the one in Persona 2.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »

For me, there's just something about cryptic writing on walls, particularly in blood, that's unsettling to me.  Hence why I found the sanitarium in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and the first crime scene in Still Life chilling.  But that's just me.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56:47 AM »

What about the part in FFVII when Cloud has to dress up like a chick to get into Don Corneo's mansion? God, that was freaky!

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »

Quote from: "ShadowLaguna"
What about the part in FFVII when Cloud has to dress up like a chick to get into Don Corneo's mansion? God, that was freaky!

heh heh nice...

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 02:44:19 PM »

Quote from: "ShadowLaguna"

No.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: