Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:11:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top 5 RPGs everyone loves to hate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Top 5 RPGs everyone loves to hate  (Read 20048 times)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2008, 05:34:04 PM »

This is a thread for the top 5 rpgs that you think are unfairly "hated" by everyone. By that I mean gamers in general, /not/ everyone on these boards. And please give reasons, as I'm sure we all hate threads filled only with lists. Now let's hope I don't piss off too many people with my top 5:

1. Final Fantasy XII

2. Final Fantasy VIII
I think everyone knows FF 8 has its flaws, like the magic system or the money, but the SeeD rank wasn't that bad an idea, was it? The way some people hate this game with a passion, you'd think it was worse than FF 2. Nothing deserves to be compared to FF 2, I don't think. So if you want a game with MASSIVE flaws to complain about, choose FF 2, and leave 8 alone for once. I suspect the real reason people hate FF 8 is because it's not FF 7 (okay, that's a bit unfair). Which brings me to...

3. Final Fantasy IX
I've heard some FF "fans" - i.e. people who've played FF VII - say that IX isn't a proper Final Fantasy game. Which is funny cause 7 and 8 are the sci-fi anomalies and 9 is a real FF game, that references all the others, even 7. And it contains the only ability system that actually fuckin' WORKS out of all the FF games. So it must be because it's not FF 7. :P

4. Golden Sun & Golden Sun: The Lost Age
People could complain about the naff plot, or the shitty Djinn(i)(s) system, or the "speech", or the non-existent difficulty. But no, its the battles every 10 seconds, the staple of all rpgs since 1986, that they get at GS for.  What they neglect to mention in their "arguments" is that all battles can be won by pressing A over and over again. So that's not a real, valid criticism in my book. Until people think of a good reason to hate it, they should leave the only rpg on the gba that's neither a remake or an update well alone.

5. GBA Tales of Phantasia
The way I see it, haters of the gba hate it because it's an inferior remake of a remake, or because it's a Nintendo version of a Sony game, not because it's a bad game.

6. Baten Kaitos
We all know BK's not a good game, though I don't think it's AWFUL like some people say. Yes, it's flawed, but so is FF 7. All the gamecube rpgs have bad points - FE's too hard, Symphonia's cliche, TP's not even an rpg, BK is shit - but those rpgs are very few on GC, so people should stop moaning about them all the time. At least BK's card system WORKS...
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »

In no particular order (well, actually the order I think of them lol)

#5 Final Fantasy VIII

I think it was mainly because it was after Final Fantasy VII, which was universally hailed as one of the greatest games ever by critics at the time, but it was also because they changed quite a bit of stuff. Alot of fans hated the junction system, as well as the fact that you couldn't buy equipment, you had to upgrade them with items from enemies. It also had a huge love story, which some loved and some hated.

#4 Final Fantasy IX

I honestly don't understand this one that much. I loved this game a ton, it was an outstanding throwback. The biggest complaints I have heard are the plot, which I thought was actually a good plot (whatevs), but alot of people also didn't like the soundtrack. I also disagree and think the soundtrack was amazing.

#3 The Legend of Dragoon

Many critics slammed this game because it took so long to develop and they thought it was just a generic rip-off of Final Fantasy. I thought the combat system was unique and fun, but evidently they didn't. Many also complained that the plot was a bad episode of Power Rangers, which I disagree. I guess this is more of a critical hate than fan hate because everyone I have met that has played it adores it, including me.

#2 Final Fantasy II (Not IV for you who continue to number them in the wrong order)

I can understad this one because it was (and still is) a huge departure for the series (much like Zelda 2 was). I first tried it on the GBA version and enjoyed it. Many people hate the stat system, but I didn't think it was that bad. I liked the characters and music, and just plain had fun with it. May people abhor this game and say it is the worst of the main series, but I disagree.

#1 Xenosaga II

I am kind of one that does this, but people certainly blow this one out of proportion as well. They say the game was awful. The battle system was stupid, the game was too short, and it was too hard. I believe the difficulty helped because if the game would have been easy, it would have been even shorter. The story and characters were also great ad made the game worth playing despite some of the shortcomings. It isn't a supern game, but it was a decent one, unlike what many say.

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:12:35 PM »

Wait, people hated Baten Kaitos? I didn't know that more than a handful of people knew about that game and they all liked it. I can understand why LOD's on your list, I didn't understand why people thought the game was mediocre, it was awesome. I'm still baffled by the mixed reactions to VIII and IX. Those are my favorite Final Fantasies with IX being at the top. I haven't really seen anyone complain about Golden Sun, so I don't really understand that. I don't really want to make a list myself so I figured commenting on others would be the next best thing.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 07:35:58 PM »

That's about right.

Final Fantasy VIII
I agree with pretty much everything being said here. But I think there's more to it than that. I think FF8 represents one extreme of a gaming philosophy, which some people absolutely hate. It's incredibly character centric, and it purposefully stays away from highly charasmatic character architypes. FF8 is less about the "cool" factor, and more about subtle storytelling. Whether it succeeds in that is up for grabs. Many people think that games were moving too far away from their "fun and badass" roots, and FF8 personified that trend. It strayed so far away from the system and tactics of the other games in the series that many people (including myself) fail to see why it was a "final fantasy". However, it remaiins one of my very favorite RPGs and my favorite in the series, mainly because of its differences.

Final Fantasy IX
Not sure I agree with this. In my experience, FF9 seems to be probably the most universally excepted game in the series, along with FF6. Fans of the older games except it because it really plays to the series' roots. In extension, FF7 fans have to give it credit for similar reasons. At the same time, it continued a lot of the subtlety in characters and storytelling that we saw in FF8. It may not be at the top of everyone's favorite list (It's close to the top on mine however), but I've heard very few people that flat-out hate it.

Golden Sun
What? Someone dislikes this game? Who? I think about as many people hate Golden Sun as who hate Star Wars. Pretty much everyone I've ever talked to whose played it loves it. It got high ranking reviews too. I loved it, as well. Unfortunately, my dog chewed up my cartridge of Lost Age after I was a little past halfway :(

Baton Keitos
I'm sorry, but this is one game that *I* love to hate. I only got about 10 hour into it, but just about everything about it grated on me. The voice-acting was some of the worst I've ever heard, it was extremely linear, without letting me even FEEL like I was in control, and the dialog was absolutely horrible. The battle-system was interesting, but it didn't provide enough to offset how grating the rest of the experience was. It's understandable to me why so many abhore this game. I haven't played origins, and I've heard its quite a bit better, but I'd have to hear a damn convincing review to make me want to play it.

BTW: I disagree that the GameCube RPGs are all flawed. Skies of Arcadia was my favorite RPG of the generation, and Symphonia was about 3rd or 4th. Sure it was cliche, but at least it seemed to be aware of what it was and didn't attempt to be more than that, which I can appreciate. Batten Keitos was far-and-away the worst RPG on the 'Cube.

The Legend of Dragoon
Another one I love to hate. Pretty piss poor game. Cliche plot, cliche dialog, cliche character architypes with no depth. Once again, it had a slightly interesting battle system, but not enough to overcome all of its other shortcomings. Oh, and it had some of the flat-out worst music in the history of gaming.

Those aside. I actually tend to find myself agreeing with most reviewers of games, although I can't understand the recent hatred of Lost Odyssey, which I thought was great... maybe not the best thing ever, but pretty damned good. I'm a bit more of a skeptic though. Usually, if some aspect of the game is flawed, it can destroy the experience for me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 07:40:33 PM »

Its funny that you say you hated LOD soundtrack, because I actually loved it and so did my friends. We listen to it alot.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »

Quote from: "Jet16"
Wait, people hated Baten Kaitos? I didn't know that more than a handful of people knew about that game and they all liked it.

You should have been here when that game was fresh. :P

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »

Other than MetalGearStarFox I don't know of anyone who doesn't like Golden Sun.

Anyway, I don't feel like coming up with a list so I'll just bring up the entire SaGa series. I honestly can't defend them (but then I suck at defending anything, really) but I love 'em to death.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
Its funny that you say you hated LOD soundtrack, because I actually loved it and so did my friends. We listen to it alot.

Well......... you're wrong! ;)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »

I don't like Golden Sun. I like Golden Sun 2, but the first game was a trite, dry affair I could have done without. Poor show Camelot.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Wait, people hated Baten Kaitos?

What DR said, plus most of the love is for BKO, a prequel I can at least tolerate while I abhorred the original.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

You should have been here when that game was fresh. :P

Hmm, perhaps my unawareness of the hatred for BK is because I never actually tried to find anyone else who played this game aside from seeing a couple of posts on the page that I first saw the game on. Whatever, I still really liked it.

About LOD: I can see why people hate the soundtrack, because it isn't exactly the greatest, but I still enjoyed it. Although, in retrospect, if I were to go and buy every soundtrack of the games I own, Legend of Dragoon's would be near the bottom of the list. I don't think it's bad, it's just not great or good.

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I don't like Golden Sun. I like Golden Sun 2, but the first game was a trite, dry affair I could have done without. Poor show Camelot.

Aren't they both essentially the same game? Seemed like that to me. I don't remember if Golden Sun 2 had a story that was that much better to change someones view on the series. That's the only difference I can think of off the top of my head.
Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 08:32:45 PM »

1. FFVIII - I don't understand the complaint that you have to spend an eternity drawing spells from enemies, since I made it fine through most of the game without doing so...and besides, drawing spells from enemies is just *one* way to get spells (I mostly used GF abilities to get spells). Triple Triad is definitely good, as well, as long as you don't encounter/spread around some of the lousy rules (like Random, which unfortunately happened to me; guessed I should've just reset the game -_-).

2. FFX - I've seen a lot of people whining about this one solely because of the lack of a "world map," an argument that I just think is silly, considering the unrealism of explorable overworlds where you're some fifty-foot giant. I thought the Sphere Grid and battle system were well-done, and while some of the mini-games are frustrating, their difficulty is understandable since completing them successfully can break the game's balance.

3. FFX-2 - I'm somewhat tired of the people that absolutely refuse to play this because of the girlish content, since I thought it had one of the best implementations of active-time battles, and one of the best class systems in the franchise and RPGs in general. As far as I'm concerned, X-2 is vastly superior to FF5, the previous class-based Final Fantasy, in terms of mechanics (and on equal ground in terms of story, since neither had a great story in my opinion).

4. Breath of Fire III - It does have issues, for sure, such as a paper-thin plot, and the Master system could've been better implemented, but I thought the battle system was alright, if the encounter rate was a little high.

5. Tales of Legendia - I think a lot of people didn't like this one since it wasn't like Tales of Symphonia, but I thought it had a nice take on 2-D Tales battles, although I did use Holy Bottles to keep the encounter rate at a tolerable level.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 09:38:35 PM »

Aren't they both essentially the same game? Seemed like that to me. I don't remember if Golden Sun 2 had a story that was that much better to change someones view on the series. That's the only difference I can think of off the top of my head.

Where Golden Sun is concerned, that is all that matters. Everything else was just kinda hum-drum, so the story had to make up for it.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 09:49:08 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
2. FFX - I've seen a lot of people whining about this one solely because of the lack of a "world map," an argument that I just think is silly, considering the unrealism of explorable overworlds where you're some fifty-foot giant.

That would be me. I love my world maps, they add an expansiveness that you don't get with a game that doesn't have them. I don't mind about the 50foot giant thing, it's just a marker. It wouldn't make any difference if it was a little dot that you moved around the screen, as long as you have control of it and you can explore the map at your own descresion. It's also great to upgrade to bigger and better modes of transportation as you go, giving way to an ever expanding sense of power and freedom. Also, it serves a similar purpose as the "establishing shot" does for film... it gives you a sense of place and relation to the rest of what's going on. Since world-traversing games are so much more navigationally complex than movies, a simple establishing shot... which works fine for a game like Zelda, isn't enough for a series like Final Fantasy.

The complaint about scale is a silly one, because, as I said, it's just a marker. But it adds so much to the flow of the game, that it's really detrimental to negate it simply because of that fact. It's one of the main reasons why the Tales series seems to live on, in my mind, while the Final Fantasy series seems to be degrading.

Still, no game will compare to Skies of Arcadia for it's sheer expansiveness for world map, except for maybe Dragon Quest 8.

As for Golden Sun, I can see an arguement for not liking the first and loving the second. I like both games, but the second really hit its stride. I kinda prefer the characters of the first, but the dungeons are so much better in the second.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"

#2 Final Fantasy II (Not IV for you who continue to number them in the wrong order)

I can understad this one because it was (and still is) a huge departure for the series (much like Zelda 2 was). I first tried it on the GBA version and enjoyed it. Many people hate the stat system, but I didn't think it was that bad. I liked the characters and music, and just plain had fun with it. Many people abhor this game and say it is the worst of the main series, but I disagree.

#1 Xenosaga II

I am kind of one that does this, but people certainly blow this one out of proportion as well. They say the game was awful. The battle system was stupid, the game was too short, and it was too hard. I believe the difficulty helped because if the game would have been easy, it would have been even shorter. The story and characters were also great and made the game worth playing despite some of the shortcomings. It isn't a superb game, but it was a decent one, unlike what many say.

Agreed on XS2. Good game.

You are way off the mark on FFII. Waaay off. This isn't just a game everyone loves to hate; it's a game that ought to be hated. Let's consider:

1) the "stat up" system does work ... in other games. It's great in the various SaGa titles. But in FFII, it just outright fails. In the old NES version it was broken. In GBA/PSP versions they attempted a fix, but it's still broken, because magic is useless. The whole end quest is to get Ultima, which turns out to be a crappy spell now matter HOW high you level it.

2) Square Enix themselves let FFII be the butt of FF jokes. I've heard them myself, at E3. I won't say anymore than that.

3) you say FFII isn't the worst FF. If this one isn't, which one is?! main series only, no X-2 or Mystic Quest. FFII is, by far, the worst of the FF games.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: