Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 05:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331655 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top 5 RPGs everyone loves to hate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Top 5 RPGs everyone loves to hate  (Read 20316 times)
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 10:16:56 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

4. GBA Tales of Phantasia
The way I see it, haters of the gba hate it because it's an inferior remake of a remake, not because it's a bad game.

And why is that a bad thing?  I think that's a justifiable reason.  My review of the GBA ToP port is basically that.  I think ToP is one of the best JRPGs ever created, but this ported GBA version US gamers finally got was very poorly done.  The SNES original was killer and the PSOne remake was exquisite.  This GBA version was like a bad cook's poor attempt at an amazing recipe.  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/top-gba/index.html

As for the love-to-hate RPGs, I always thought that since FF7, the trendy thing to do was to hate on Square Enix for being "too commercial" or "selling out."

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:53 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
5. Tales of Legendia - I think a lot of people didn't like this one since it wasn't like Tales of Symphonia, but I thought it had a nice take on 2-D Tales battles, although I did use Holy Bottles to keep the encounter rate at a tolerable level.

I liked ToL, but I see why people hated it so much. The character quests were brutal, it had random encounters, and the story seemed too much like Tales of Symphonia in the beginning (which isn't very original itself.) The battle system is fun, but you're cramped into a small area, unlike Symphonia and the Abyss where you have room to move around in.

--

I guess I'm also in the minority that likes the original BK. I liked the battle system, which was the main reason why I got it. My main gripe is that the game took forever to get going, but the locales in the game made up for the first disc. I have BKO, but I've yet to start it since I'm already playing enough games as it is.

--

Really, the only game I love to hate on is Super Robot Taisen: OG. I love the game as much as I hate it. The last few missions were too fucking hard, with bosses having insane amounts of HP, and the fact that the good skills eat up way too much SP, and you're bound to use up all the SP before you can really hurt the boss.

Guess I can also throw Fable in there, as that game is awful all around, or my computer just has a bad graphics card. The art and animation are ugly, the story is boring, and I hate quests, which is why I quit WoW, because questing is boring...
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
I guess I'm also in the minority that likes the original BK. I liked the battle system, which was the main reason why I got it. My main gripe is that the game took forever to get going, but the locales in the game made up for the first disc. I have BKO, but I've yet to start it since I'm already playing enough games as it is.

play BKO!!!

it's so superior to the original. I love that game with all my heart.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 10:51:21 PM »

I tried and failed to get into BKO for the same reason why I failed to get into Starcraft: those games just wouldn't give me time to think.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 12:44:09 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Quote from: "Blace"

#2 Final Fantasy II (Not IV for you who continue to number them in the wrong order)

I can understad this one because it was (and still is) a huge departure for the series (much like Zelda 2 was). I first tried it on the GBA version and enjoyed it. Many people hate the stat system, but I didn't think it was that bad. I liked the characters and music, and just plain had fun with it. Many people abhor this game and say it is the worst of the main series, but I disagree.

#1 Xenosaga II

I am kind of one that does this, but people certainly blow this one out of proportion as well. They say the game was awful. The battle system was stupid, the game was too short, and it was too hard. I believe the difficulty helped because if the game would have been easy, it would have been even shorter. The story and characters were also great and made the game worth playing despite some of the shortcomings. It isn't a superb game, but it was a decent one, unlike what many say.

Agreed on XS2. Good game.

You are way off the mark on FFII. Waaay off. This isn't just a game everyone loves to hate; it's a game that ought to be hated. Let's consider:

1) the "stat up" system does work ... in other games. It's great in the various SaGa titles. But in FFII, it just outright fails. In the old NES version it was broken. In GBA/PSP versions they attempted a fix, but it's still broken, because magic is useless. The whole end quest is to get Ultima, which turns out to be a crappy spell now matter HOW high you level it.

2) Square Enix themselves let FFII be the butt of FF jokes. I've heard them myself, at E3. I won't say anymore than that.

3) you say FFII isn't the worst FF. If this one isn't, which one is?! main series only, no X-2 or Mystic Quest. FFII is, by far, the worst of the FF games.

My least favorite FF is probably 3. Even in the remake I didn't like the story or characters as much as I did in FF2. I'm not saying I dislike FF3, because I still like it, but it could have been better. I still don't know whether I like FF2 better than FF1, but its close.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 01:06:33 AM »

I guess if there is one FF to dislike over II, it would be III. At least II has character development (talking originals, not remakes). So I guess I can see that.

But that was the first time the open "job" system was put into an FF (we'd see it again in V, Tactics, etc). That alone made it a much stronger option in my eyes. But you're right, the two are close in in their mediocrity.

I still say it's fun to hate on FFII though. :P

death919

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 01:25:00 AM »

#5:  Recent Pokemon games
A lot of people completely slam recent pokemon games, stating that "Red and Blue were the only good ones" but I couldn't disagree more.  I think that the series continues to make huge leaps each game that distinguish each new installment from the last.  I think that people just outgrew them and that is the reason why they don't like them anymore, but I'm one of the ones who thinks that each entry gets miles better than the last, the most recent Pokemon Pearl/Diamond being arguably the best (though I'd still probably go with Ruby as being my favourite of all time).

#4:  Final Fantasy X
Now this is a game that alot of us will agree was an awesome game!  In fact, this is my personal favourite Final Fantasy.  However, I always run into so many haters of this game and I don't know why.  Alot of people bash Sphere Grid but I think it was one of the coolest stat-building systems I've ever seen in an RPG!  I've heard so many times people say that FFX is all graphics and nothing else, and I hate that because it really was a great game!

#3:  Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Maybe it's just because I played this game before I'd played any of the "main" Final Fantasy games and so didn't really have something to benchmark against, but I personally thought that this was an EXTRAORDINARY game!  Especially the music, some of the best I've ever heard in a video game.  I just loved everything about it, it was just a really fun game to play.

#2:  Xenosaga Episode 2
OK I'm probably the only one who thinks that this one was better than the first one, but yeah, I really loved this game!  3 was still definitely the best one, but honestly, 2 is what really got me into the series and hyped me for the 3rd one (arguably my favourite game of all time, tied with some Tales games).  Episode 1 really left me confused about what exactly was going on in the story, but episode 2 explained alot of things and made me think "Oh cool... I get it now... this story's pretty freaking SWEET!"  Also this is what I consider to be the hardest RPG that I've ever beaten, some of those boss fights too me 28 minutes!

#1:  Tales of Legendia
OK seriously WHAT IS UP with all the hate towards this game?  I don't even understand why everyone hates it and lists it as a "failure among Tales games".  By far one of my favourite storylines of all time, this game made me cry like 10 times throughout.  It was truly a masterpiece and I loved every second of it.  Norma is one of the greatest/most-hilarious video game characters of all time, as is Grune.  I honestly just loved this game from start to finish and rank it among my top 5 (and usually my top 3) games of all time.  There are very few things in life that I can honestly say are beautiful.  Tales of Legendia is a beautiful game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 01:37:00 AM »

If I had to choose between good gameplay or good story, it'll always be the gameplay... Especially when it's between two 8-bit games where the 'good story' is a more basic form of what would come with IV.

Late Addition: Plus I'd be surprised if III was worse than I, series start be damned.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 02:55:47 AM »

Quote from: "death919"
#5:  Recent Pokemon games
A lot of people completely slam recent pokemon games, stating that "Red and Blue were the only good ones" but I couldn't disagree more.

Who in the ever loving Earth said that?!

Out of all the claims in this thread so far, this is the least likely in my eyes to be true. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl were fucking phenomenal for portable RPGs. Anyone who said they didn't like them either lied or didn't play them.

Seriously.

[/url]
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 07:07:34 AM »

what's "love to hate" and just plain "hate"?

there's alot of RPGs I hate, and those aren't them... i'd rate those games as average, but not hate worthy...

i hated .hack games...
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 09:20:41 AM »

To be honest, when I read the thread title FFVII immediatly came to mind. The game reached that level of popularity where it suddenly becomes cool to say it sucks. Some people dedicate themselves to prove how much the game sucks and expose it's flaws.

It's been 11 years and I wonder if these people where around when the game was released. I already was a hardcore gamer and I'll never forget the first time I saw the game in motion. It blew my mind. And when I realized the scope of the game, combined with those insane production values, everything felt insignificant in comparison.
It's easy to look back now and critisize it, no matter how good a game is when it is released, ten years later you will see flaws you didn't see at the time.

FFVIII is my favorite rpg next to xenogears so it's an obvious choice.

FFIX, though not hated, is clearly underrated imo. It's all a FF fan could have asked for at the time.

I very recently played the whole XS saga and I can understand why people were disppointed with ep. 2 though it's not as bad as some people claim.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »

Anyone who said they didn't like them either lied or didn't play them.

I would be one of those people. Well, okay, I don't actually bash the games as I haven't played them. I'm just no longer interested in catching them all, especially as they continue to make more and more Poke'mon (many of which are just ridiculous imo) with each installment.

But as someone mentioned they do continue to make the games better. While my Blue version is still playable it's downright boring compared to say, Gold and Silver (which is where I left off) and I know newer games have even cooler features. I think this is the perfect series for this thread.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 05:12:36 PM »

Pokemone used to be something you loved to hate because after pokemon was cool, it became cool to hate it. But then after a few years most people stopped giving a damn and were like HM. GBA POKEMON GAMES. LET'S TRY THIS THING.

At least that's what happened to me.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 05:22:38 PM »

FF 8 - Deservedly so. Most ridiculous plot in the history of RPGs.

Legend of Dragoon - More generic than a Tales game and the worst fighting system in the history of RPGs. I like bits of the soundtrack though. (I own it)

Xenosaga II - Which is too bad. The first disc actually isn't that bad, and I liked the more "harder" sci fi feel of it. The second disc just drags and drags and the battle system gets sludgier and sludgier to use. Pretty disappointing.

FF X - Now this is the one I don't get. I understand why people found Tidus whiny, but the game itself was great. It seemed like they made a real effort to differentiate this game from the PS1 games and try new stuff. Voice acting was great, as was the battle system. This one I just don't get. I guess it was "cool" to bash Square at this point.

Suikoden III - Now this is another one I don't get. The story was the most "adult" of the three games. And there was a real payoff for people who had played all three games when they discovered who the villain was. Yet all people did was bitch about Thomas and the battle system. (Well, the battle system I can understand)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 06:15:27 PM »

FFX's main detractors were being overly linear, the few optional things you could do were sort of dumb (Butterfly catching?), and the sphere grid was also really linear so it made a lot of people wonder what the point even was, and then once you got past the linear bits everyone started becoming the same as you'd go down some other character's really linear development path. Also I don't recall ever fiddling with weapon or summon attributes much, or being particularly hurt by that. More or less, it seemed like it introduced a lot of new elements and never really developed them properly (Which I guess is a good summation of the series as a whole and why I like the dragon warrior method, where you DON'T completely ignore the last game in the series existing, better).

Actually, another main complaint was that it was all FMV or something which is complete nonsense because there were very few long FMV sequences in the game. Like, fourish? Most of them were "Character jumps in awesomely" or "Sin blows the shit out of shit the fuck up" or "Pacing while grumbling." Most of which were short.

I also seem to recall a lot of puzzle bosses that were less "find the strategy that works" and more "do something you have no reason to expect to work to beat this boss."

FF 8 - Deservedly so. Most ridiculous plot in the history of RPGs.

Nicht kaum, mein Eichhörnchen.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: