Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329393 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top 5 RPGs everyone loves to hate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Top 5 RPGs everyone loves to hate  (Read 20273 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2008, 07:26:10 PM »

DOUBLE POST because I'm an idiot and didn't fully go over the prior posts. In regards to everyone 'hating' FFXII: remember that FF is a series that's mostly good. Someone could rank their games from best to worst but enjoy all but the very lowest. Heck, I'd say every installment's good in some fashion but FFII. Also, the 'it's easier' reasoning for being better is just so stupid I'm left at a loss for words.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
Why are you are all leaving X-2 off of your lists?
Maybe they are, but it's so far down the list it doesn't register. I'm never going to play it, but I haven't heard anything good about it.

You havenít heard anything good about it? I obviously havenít been posting loud enough.

Itís a great game dude. Probably has the best implementation of the ATB system Iíve seen.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

I've personally never thought of X-2 as a spinoff because it's a direct sequel to X.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2008, 08:37:56 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
I've personally never thought of X-2 as a spinoff because it's a direct sequel to X.

and again we ask, what about Revenant Wings? What about Dirge of Cerberus?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »

Damn, the FFVII spawn passed my mind. Yeah, you'd have to factor in DoC as well as Before Crisis and Crisis Core, and then there's FFvXIII coming out and I have no idea where that'd fit. If this ranking thing were done right after FFX-2 came out it may've been dumb to ignore it, but now you'd have to go down the slippery slope by including and ultimately wind up making a ranking of all games branded FF.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2008, 08:45:57 PM »

What's wrong with FF XII? Good reasons, I mean, not "there's no random battles".

I don't hate FFXII. But I rank it lower than other FFs for good reason.

Namely, I put a strong emphasis on plot and character development. FFXII starts out REALLY strong, then tapers, and then has the most lame, unexpected, un-epic ending in the history of FF titles.

Code:
Ashe: Oh sup where am I?
Occuria: Y hello thar! We R the rulers of teh universe. We are fate. How awesome is that?
(me, in my head: okay, this is getting good. Ethereal and weird, but good...)
Ashe: I guess that's awesome. So wassup with y'all?
Occuria: O Ashelia blahblahblah Dalmasca ... you must destroy the heretic!
Ashe: You mean Venant? Isn't he one of you?
Occuria: SHUN THE NONBELIEVER! SHUUUUUNNNN!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus
Ashe: uhhh...yeah okay maybe.
Occuria: Obey us!!!

Ashe: kthx, but nothx. I'll do as I please. Humans will control their own destiny.

(an hour later)

Vayne: See, that's what I've been saying! Humans should totally be in control, rather than these invisible deities!
Venant: Ya, tru that.
Ashe: Cool, I'm glad we agree on this. Now let's kill each other for *absolutely no reason.*

How does that make ANY sense? How are you defying the "will of the gods" with this solution? You're just doing what you were going to do in the first place, and you're following the will of the Occuria by doing this.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

My theory is that when Matsuno had to leave, no one knew how to end this game. And this was the result we got.

Endings, IMO, mean nearly everything to the plot. If you cannot effectively conclude your story, you never should've started telling the story in the first place. Tactics was great. Vagrant Story was great as well. XII was ... no. Just, no.

And that's why I rank XII lower than other FF games. Happy?

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »

Okay, you guys win the argument. :)

Anyway, I haven't played enough of the FF games to make a proper list, but I will say that I love V, VI, and X, and that VII and VIII seemed okay but didn't hold my interest for very long.
faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2008, 01:55:14 AM »

it si not that i hate games because for the sake of hating or because it poopuler or something, and i have to say FF XII sucks big time.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2008, 06:05:40 AM »

Most critizisme i have seen against FFXII is very vapid, that they didn't liked the characters, that the game plays "by itself" among other assorted dull comments.

The game is not without it's flaws, the annoying random chest system, and the story seems to get lost a bit towards the end (i also blame the left of Matsuno for that)
But all that aside, the game is a lot of fun and very well designed, challenging and with solid characters. It had vast zones to explore (unlike FFX linear maps) and the dungeons are quite well designed. A nice diversity of enemies (again: not like FFX and X-2 where you fight against the same damn stuff over and over) and overall, a other stuff that i liked a lot.

Good to see that not so many are still on the bandwagon of "let's hate FF8 cuz it's cool, lolz!". It's a flawed game for sure, but it was a lot of fun, and i still defend the junction system to this day.

As for my fav FF, in no specific order:

-FFT
-FFVI
-FFIV
-FFXII
-FFVIII
-FFXI

So far the only real fly in the soup would be FFX-2, not god-awful, but quite boring, dull and with nothing interesting to offer at all. Sutff like FF Crystal Chronicles, the FF7 spawns and the likes are more spin offs really, so i don't count them much.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2008, 06:27:55 AM »

Quote from: "ChevalierEagle"
So far the only real fly in the soup would be FFX-2, not god-awful, but quite boring, dull and with nothing interesting to offer at all.

The combat man, the combat

Also, I thought the mission based structure made for a nice change of pace.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2008, 06:46:41 AM »

Quote from: "AJR"
So far the only real fly in the soup would be FFX-2, not god-awful, but quite boring, dull and with nothing interesting to offer at all.

The combat man, the combat

Ah yes, everyone have used that as the main argument to defend FFX-2 lack of purpose to exist at all, but it's the same thing as FFX just, well, faster. And again, why in Jebus name couldn't they make different enemies and not the same damn fiends over and over? It made the fights tedious and repetitive.

I still see FFX-2 as just as a mere filler/fast cash in game, just like all those FF7 spin-offs, so i really don't care that much about it. If FF12 had turned out to be like that one, now that would be something to truly flame SE from here to eternity.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2008, 08:02:07 AM »

Ah yes, everyone have used that as the main argument to defend FFX-2 lack of purpose to exist at all, but it's the same thing as FFX just, well, faster. And again, why in Jebus name couldn't they make different enemies and not the same damn fiends over and over? It made the fights tedious and repetitive.

Not really...

I guess there are similarities in the way that different moves (or in X-2ís case different dress spheres) effected the amount of time between attacks. But the fact that X-2ís dresses worked as classes (that could be changed at will), whilst Final Fantasy X had a set path of growth for each character (that could eventually be broken) changed things significantly. The move from strict turn-based back to ATB also changed things up a bit. It was nice how every dress changed the rate that the ATB refilled, depending on said dresses abilities, making for an interesting balancing act between each dress sphere. Chaining attacks was a nice idea too, as was the ability to learn attacks during battle. Repeating enemy types from X was never a big deal to me, because there was a pretty big gap between playing the two, but I thought there were some great bosses in X-2.

I actually enjoyed a few of the mini games in X-2 as well. Changing the blitzball mini-game from directly controlling the action to managing made for a nice change. Sphere break, I thought, was one of the better board/card games in the Final Fantasy series.

I donít see spin offs as a problem like a lot of people do, provided said games are actually, yíknow good.  Crisis Core looks to be a pretty great addition to the PSP, despite being one of many tie ins to VII.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »

I still see FFX-2 as just as a mere filler/fast cash in game, just like all those FF7 spin-offs, so i really don't care that much about it. If FF12 had turned out to be like that one, now that would be something to truly flame SE from here to eternity.

You realize that Motomu Toriyama, who directed X-2, also directed FF12: Revenant Wings.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
As I said in the original post, this thread is for rpgs that are hated FOR NO APPARENT REASON. By that description, FF 9 belongs in this thread more than any game mentioned so far.

... Then this entire thread has no purpose since generally anything hated enough to be in this thread has good reasons for it. Even FFIX, which I just wound up being frequently bored with when I played (though this was years ago).
Who started this thread? I think I know more about what goes in it than you do. As I've said before, this thread is for UNFAIRLY hated rpgs. So whether there's good reasons for it (ex: FF VIII, Baten Kaitos) or not (ex: FF IX), they're still hated by an unnecessary amount of people, so I allow them in this thread. And if people put down games they think deserve to be hated, that ruins the point, doesn't it?

Quote from: "Eusis"
DOUBLE POST because I'm an idiot and didn't fully go over the prior posts. In regards to everyone 'hating' FFXII: remember that FF is a series that's mostly good. Someone could rank their games from best to worst but enjoy all but the very lowest. Heck, I'd say every installment's good in some fashion but FFII. Also, the 'it's easier' reasoning for being better is just so stupid I'm left at a loss for words.
Really? Cuz I thought I'd said it was easier than the game with the last boss that's impossible without invincibility items and the one whose idea of an uber-boss is one that does 999999999999 damage. So excuse me for being so fucking stupid, Eusis, but I thought that was a good thing. Yes, easier does not mean better, but neither does harder. And it's not like that was the /only/ reason i thought 12 was better - 8, 10 and 5 have plenty of flaws that it doesn't. I compared it to those three because I consider them to be the "worst" FF games - where the flaws are nothing to do with the hardware of the console they're on, unlike I to III - and everyone put them higher.

Ramza: Yeah, fair enough.

As for my FF ranking:
    1. FF VI
    2. FF IX
    3. FF VII
    4. FF XII
    5. FF IV

6. FF XI
    7. FF X
    8. FF VIII
    9. FF V
    10. FF III
    11. FF I
    12. FF II[/list]

I put 11 in the middle because, though I haven't played it, I've never heard anything bad about it.
    ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #104 on: May 05, 2008, 05:20:32 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

You realize that Motomu Toriyama, who directed X-2, also directed FF12: Revenant Wings.

FF12 Revenant Wings and X-2 are quite different from each other, both in gameplay and plot-wise. FFXIIRW is also quite different from the original FF12.
    Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
    « previous next »
    Jump to: