Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 07:31:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341087 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A quick question about Persona 3.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A quick question about Persona 3.  (Read 1357 times)
temp user

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:48:33 PM »

I know there is already a persona 3 thread. I made this because I wanted a quick and direct answer. Once I have all the info I need, it will be locked and maybe even deleted.

Know, I want to know. Does Persona really deserve the rating it's been given? I checked ESRb, and it was rated M for four reasons:

1. blood: from what I've seen from videos, blood seems to be a minimum, with it only appearing rarely in cutscenes and backrounds.

2. violence: I have seen gameplay videos, The turn based battles, while having "violence" in the most general sense, lack any blood or gore. This could easily be placed in a T rating

3: Language: Allright, so the characters cuss. It's not like I haven't heard the exact same wording in a PG-13 movie. I don't think this section is that much of a problem.

which leads me to the proverbial poison apple in the bobbing for apples game (all I could think of)

4: Partial Nudity: according to the ESRB site, this indicates that there are "brief or mild instances of nudity" based on what I have heard and seen, the worst this game gets is just a rare bikini or towel. I trust there are no points where they show the unspeakable?

Anyways, it seems to me, the only reason that this game got the M rating was the evoker imagery that trademarks the game. Am I wrong on any of these points?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:57:40 PM »

My gut reaction was to vote Yes because I've played a fair few M rated games before I was actually 17 like MGS and consider them guidelines to loosely follow, and there isn't much offensive material I saw in the 30 hours I've played. HOWEVER, I forgot about the Penis Monster in the Fes version, you can look in the P3 thread for the picture and judge for yourself on that.

If it helps at all, in Japan the Fes release got a B, which is basically 12+. Games like GTA4 would get a Z over there so this is one of the milder M rated games.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:57:45 PM »

Mostly the evoker stuff if you ask me.  There were some anime fanservice-y type scenes in the game (two come to mind) but both were mild and showed nothing.

On violence, there was a couple bloody scenes towards the end.  Nothing too vivid or disturbing if you ask me.

However in episode aegis, there's a persona that looks like a giant demon cock.  Other than that, there's nothing that unacceptable.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »

I also want to note that the partial nudity was already there for P3. Fes had "Suggestive Themes" added, so I guess that's what Mara (the penis monster) falls under.

Admittedly the situation for M rated games isn't quite the same as when I was playing MGS. GTAIII hit shortly after I turned 17, and future MGS games pushed it a bit further and MGS3 had the really brutal torture scene. Still, I think someone whose, say, 15 should be more than ready to handle the game, and if you wanted to follow the Japanese rating 12 year olds are clear.
temp user

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:08:09 PM »

One problem is that, while I should be able to handle it (though I guess I would have to use extra effort to stomach "That thing"). One problem however, is that I don't live alone, and this sort of imagery may warrant me having to move a TV in my room. (a very difficult process)

Either that, or learn to have my computer screen connect to the PS2. Is that possible?
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »

Just don't fuse the demon cock persona.  It's that easy.  When you are fusing persona if you see a "Mara" pop up, just dont hit x.  It's possible it might be one of the random ones you pick up on the floors during your ascent.  If it's that way there's not much you can do until you pass those floors.

And I'm pretty sure you can connect your PS2 to your PC monitor.  No clue how though.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:48 PM »

For me, age ratings more refer to maturity level than actual age levels. I'm sure any moron with no touch on reality over 17 could be inspired to shoot themselves to death in the head after playing this game. I would never do such stupid crap, even if below 17, because I was *raised right*.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:54 PM »

If Mara's a huge deal (and does in fact randomly pop up), hunt down the original then either wait a bit to get Fes or read up on The Answer once you complete the original game.

Edit: And ultimately, Der Jermeister is right. There's also however the factor of the game's message, which is far more important than how gory it is. I'll trust a 12 year old to play MGS and Halo before something like Manhunt.
Act00

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 03:27:37 AM »

Suprisingly, this game in Europe, the age rating is 12+.

I found DDS1 and 2 more mature than this. But this game still have Mara and some fanservice stuff.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:06 AM »

I voted yes since everyone knows that you arent mature or can think as an adult until you are legally one.

Just like you cant legally drink until you're 21 in most states but can go off to die in war....so yes...this game is waaaaaay too much for the 17 and under audience.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 03:44:30 AM »

If your parents are okay with you seeing a giant blue-green penis with a bunch of tentacles on it, four tiny, tyrannosaurus rex like arms, riding around in a golden chariot made of knives, get FES.

If not, get regular Persona 3.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 06:37:16 AM »

I voted yes, DDS for example is way more disturbing with some genuinely violent moments. I'd say persona 3 is ok for people 15 and above. As others said the rating on other continents is 12+ so there you go.
Besides, the graphical style isn't very realistic, it's got a cartoony approach which makes the whole thing lighter.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »

I voted yes since theres barely anything that earns this game a MA rating.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »

I'd like to know who voted no and why. Was it a slip up? Dade sounds like he would've but he said he voted Yes.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »

I read on wiki that SMT Nocturne is the only game released in America with a Mature rating, but had essentially an E for Everybody rating in Japan.  Which would make sense to me, looking at the differences in culture/society.

As for Persona, it should probably be Teen rated.  The problem with T for Teen is that it's essentially the same as a PG-13 movie.  There's no requirement or law to actually physically check and make sure the kid is a teenager.  So I guess in the end it's make the game Mature and not risk it going into younger hands, or give it a Teen rating and anybody can buy it.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: