Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 12:53:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329212 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3 question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Persona 3 question  (Read 1490 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:59:20 PM »

i have been thinking of picking up FES since it includes the original game but i am still on the fence. as someone who values gameplay over story whats the likelyhood of me liking this game? normally i would jump on any game that is hyped here but personally the last 2 times i personally got burned. suikoden 5 and dragon quest 8 if you are curious.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »

Don't think about it.

It's a rerelease of a game with tons of extra content for a budget price.

Everyone here, including me, loves it overall.

Just get it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »

If you like dungeon crawlers yes....

But the game does take a bit before you can just jump into it.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »

The plot's good and interesting if you like anime and the game is dripping with style in both the visuals and music, but to be honest, I found the gameplay lacking compared to early Shin Megami Tensei games.  I still enjoyed it a fair bit (weak Megaten gameplay is still better than most games), but be warned that it's not as deep as previous games in the series.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »

I didn't find the plot all that intuitive and awesome.  Worked greatly for a real-world setting, I'll admit, though.

Pretty much.  Sell the original P3 and get this one, if you were that keen on the game.  Its definitely a worthy expansion.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Don't think about it.
Just get it.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:38:17 PM »

I really like the game but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. You have to be willing to put up with a LOT of cheap insta-deaths and there are a lot of times when there isn't as much to do as there could be (especially during the run-up to exams when most of the S-Links are inactive). Basically, the game requires a lot of patience, and based on you not liking DQVIII I get the impression that you're not a very patient gamer.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »

I haven't had any problems with instant deaths (though I'm only at the start of August in the original release) and there's homonculi to counteract that anyway, but it IS just $30 so it's not exactly a risky purchase. Plus any game that can win over people jaded with a genre is well worth looking into.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 10:52:16 PM »

Hard to say if you'll like it or not (depends on how much you like the simulation aspect and the dungeon crawling), but in a worst case scenario you could probably ebay it in a couple years for a hefty profit, considering the regular Atlus shortage. :P

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 11:33:40 PM »

I've thought about giving this a shot too, but the school sim aspect doesn't interest me at all.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 02:17:57 AM »

Quote from: "AJR"
I've thought about giving this a shot too, but the school sim aspect doesn't interest me at all.

This game has a lot of stuff people normally don't like (Party controlled by AI only, randomized dungeons, and a finite number of days to play) yet it's possibly the most universally loved RPG in a long, long time. It's not like a hardcore school simulator anyway, you occasionally get asked questions then mostly socialize.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 02:26:33 AM »

Quote from: "AJR"

I was in the same boat....trust me, it's handled well so you barely even realize it's a sim.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »

I wasn't big on the school sim idea either but it's not that bad. Kinda interesting so far even though I'm only on April 21st? I think? (I bought it yesterday.) Not like it's a love adventure. Have to say, I quite like it, but yeah, if you're not patient especially when it comes to story, you might not.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: