Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 07:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337785 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3 question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Persona 3 question  (Read 1514 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:59:20 PM »

i have been thinking of picking up FES since it includes the original game but i am still on the fence. as someone who values gameplay over story whats the likelyhood of me liking this game? normally i would jump on any game that is hyped here but personally the last 2 times i personally got burned. suikoden 5 and dragon quest 8 if you are curious.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »

Don't think about it.

It's a rerelease of a game with tons of extra content for a budget price.

Everyone here, including me, loves it overall.

Just get it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »

If you like dungeon crawlers yes....

But the game does take a bit before you can just jump into it.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »

The plot's good and interesting if you like anime and the game is dripping with style in both the visuals and music, but to be honest, I found the gameplay lacking compared to early Shin Megami Tensei games.  I still enjoyed it a fair bit (weak Megaten gameplay is still better than most games), but be warned that it's not as deep as previous games in the series.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »

I didn't find the plot all that intuitive and awesome.  Worked greatly for a real-world setting, I'll admit, though.

Pretty much.  Sell the original P3 and get this one, if you were that keen on the game.  Its definitely a worthy expansion.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Don't think about it.
Just get it.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:38:17 PM »

I really like the game but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. You have to be willing to put up with a LOT of cheap insta-deaths and there are a lot of times when there isn't as much to do as there could be (especially during the run-up to exams when most of the S-Links are inactive). Basically, the game requires a lot of patience, and based on you not liking DQVIII I get the impression that you're not a very patient gamer.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »

I haven't had any problems with instant deaths (though I'm only at the start of August in the original release) and there's homonculi to counteract that anyway, but it IS just $30 so it's not exactly a risky purchase. Plus any game that can win over people jaded with a genre is well worth looking into.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 10:52:16 PM »

Hard to say if you'll like it or not (depends on how much you like the simulation aspect and the dungeon crawling), but in a worst case scenario you could probably ebay it in a couple years for a hefty profit, considering the regular Atlus shortage. :P

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 11:33:40 PM »

I've thought about giving this a shot too, but the school sim aspect doesn't interest me at all.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 02:17:57 AM »

Quote from: "AJR"
I've thought about giving this a shot too, but the school sim aspect doesn't interest me at all.

This game has a lot of stuff people normally don't like (Party controlled by AI only, randomized dungeons, and a finite number of days to play) yet it's possibly the most universally loved RPG in a long, long time. It's not like a hardcore school simulator anyway, you occasionally get asked questions then mostly socialize.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 02:26:33 AM »

Quote from: "AJR"

I was in the same boat....trust me, it's handled well so you barely even realize it's a sim.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »

I wasn't big on the school sim idea either but it's not that bad. Kinda interesting so far even though I'm only on April 21st? I think? (I bought it yesterday.) Not like it's a love adventure. Have to say, I quite like it, but yeah, if you're not patient especially when it comes to story, you might not.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: