Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:30:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331955 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Ultima Topic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Ultima Topic  (Read 5142 times)
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2006, 10:11:09 PM »

So I've been playing the Ultima games again.  I got them a long time ago via EA's "The Ultima Collection."  I later got the two spinoff "Ultima Underworld" games via Interplay's "The Ultimate RPG Archives."

Is it just me or are these one of the best RPG series (if not THE best RPG series) ever?  Ultima IV in particular is more like a spiritual journey than an RPG.  So far, it's my favorite of the series.

So, what do you think?

For the sake of clarity, I'm disregarding Ultima Online, both because I haven't played it and because it probably isn't canonical anyway.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:25:47 PM »

UO is canon. As UU1. However, nothing really add much to the overarching part.

Non-canon games would be the console port of U7, the console exclusives, and the worlds of adventure game. Some also feel tha U9 has waaay to many contradictions to be considered genuinely valid.

Anyway, currently playing U7 (in dosbox :3). Excellent game, yeah? So many little details, and such excellent writing.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 04:37:22 PM »

Ultima IV would be my first RPG, on the Commodore 64/128.  I never did beat it due to a corrupted dungeon disk, but I enjoyed the game immensely.  It also happens to be the game that made me a game music fan, since the Commodore version of the game came complete with a full musical score by Kenneth Arnold.  Really beautiful, though short compositions.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 10:15:13 PM »

Ultima 5 also has great music. Shame it never came with it on the PC. Luckily, music patches exist.

and a graphics + sound patch for UIV. UIV never looked good. You could get some really pretty stuff with EGA -- see Wasteland, or Wizardry 6, or even U5. And some of Apogee's sidescrollers were *gorgeous* -- but UIV was not a pretty game. Ever. That was BAD EGA :(((

o/` I do not dream o/`

James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 12:16:28 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

Doesn't UO essentially have an "Alternate Universe" type setup to avoid it contradicting the single-player series?

Non-canon games would be the console port of U7,

Why only that one?

the console exclusives, and the worlds of adventure game. Some also feel tha U9 has waaay to many contradictions to be considered genuinely valid.

Yea, so I've heard, thanks to Hacki's Ultima Page.

Anyway, currently playing U7 (in dosbox :3). Excellent game, yeah? So many little details, and such excellent writing.

I have yet to get to that one.  I'm trying to complete the Ultimas in order (minus Akalabeth and the side-story games).

But speaking of Ultima VII, I was surprised to learn recently that someone actually did a Webcomic adaption of it.  From what I've viewed, it seems to be good, but I've avoided reading it until I've played the game.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 12:17:34 AM »

Doesn't UO essentially have an "Alternate Universe" type setup to avoid it contradicting the single-player series?

Non-canon games would be the console port of U7,

Why only that one?  Why not the rest of the console ports?

Ultima: Exodus I noticed had some things from the later games added to it when it was ported to the NES.  The Exotic weapons and armor are now called the Mystic weapons (like the ones Zircon made in Ultima 4) and you now need the Silver Horn.

the console exclusives, and the worlds of adventure game. Some also feel tha U9 has waaay to many contradictions to be considered genuinely valid.

Yea, so I've heard, thanks to Hacki's Ultima Page.

I have yet to get to that one.  I'm trying to complete the Ultimas in order (minus Akalabeth and the side-story games).

But speaking of Ultima VII, I was surprised to learn recently that someone actually did a Webcomic adaption of it.  From what I've viewed, it seems to be good, but I've avoided reading it until I've played the game.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 07:20:53 PM »

I actually liked the port of Ultima: Exodus. It genuinely added a great deal. For instance, NPCs generally said stuff in the port. In the original, they... didn't. Also, while it didn't look great, it looked much better than the PC version.

Ultima 4's port lost the cool dialogue system, and, erm, the enemies weren't visible on the world map. This is worse considering it was still somewhat real-time on the overworld and MUCH faster, meaning you could get attacked by not doing anything. Also, the color palette they chose sucked. Hard. Everything was just very off about it.

Ultima 5 changed a lot. Can't say much else. It's completely unplayable because it only runs at about three FPS.

Ultima 6 actually had, as I recall, a really nice port.

o/` I do not dream o/`

James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 01:44:37 AM »

I actually liked the port of Ultima: Exodus. It genuinely added a great deal. For instance, NPCs generally said stuff in the port. In the original, they... didn't. Also, while it didn't look great, it looked much better than the PC version.

Except for the rampant flicker, yea.

Exodus for NES started off as one game I loathed... but just today, I spent all day playing it, and now I'm on the verge of winning.  I just have to max out my stats then visit the Time Lord before going to Exodus' castle.

I do notice, though.... well, you're supposed to be able to learn Keywords (like "Bribe" to use on the guards in Devil Gulch) but I haven't been able to learn any of them even after talking to everyone.  Also the boats in Ambrosia don't seem to move from their starting locations (this has caused me to have to take a detour when going to the Shrine of Dexterity because that Shrine's pirate ship starts on the shore opposite me).

Ultima 4's port lost the cool dialogue system, and, erm, the enemies weren't visible on the world map. This is worse considering it was still somewhat real-time on the overworld and MUCH faster, meaning you could get attacked by not doing anything. Also, the color palette they chose sucked. Hard. Everything was just very off about it.

I admit I didn't play the NES Ultima IV very extensively but I remember liking it.  Then again, it was also my first Ultima experience.

Ultima 5 changed a lot. Can't say much else. It's completely unplayable because it only runs at about three FPS.

I'm not so sure about it being unplayable, but I did notice it seemed to have been rebuilt from the ground up to be more like Ultima VI.

Ultima 6 actually had, as I recall, a really nice port.

I only got to play a bit of this in an emulator.  I agree, it seemed solid.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 04:01:27 AM »

Maybe Ultima 5 was emulating poorly, but, as I said, I never was able to get it running at more than a few frames per second. Too slow to be playable at all.

o/` I do not dream o/`

James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 06:40:37 AM »

I'll have to try it myself.  Personally I think RPGs should be a little slow in most instances.

I just completed the NES version of Ultima III... and... I must say I found the NES version's ending to be interesting, to say the least.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 01:08:04 PM »

I actually ran with it adifferent emu. Speeds fine (almost) now. However, the controls are VERY unresponsive. The music is still really bad, though, and, erm... themap change makes the game almost innavigable :/ It also seems like they arranged things different.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Jest

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 03:37:33 AM »

Quote from: "James8BitStar"
I'll have to try it myself.  Personally I think RPGs should be a little slow in most instances.

I just completed the NES version of Ultima III... and... I must say I found the NES version's ending to be interesting, to say the least.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...that really is just too funny. Considering how freaking hard it is to get to the end of that game (though it was many, many years ago), I really was expecting something else.

Peace Out
Jest
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 07:49:20 AM »

Quote from: "Jest"
Quote from: "James8BitStar"

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...that really is just too funny. Considering how freaking hard it is to get to the end of that game (though it was many, many years ago), I really was expecting something else.

Peace Out
Jest

Yea, the NES version is a pain, especially at the beginning of the game.  It's actually much harder than the original PC version, in which creatures like Manes could easily be beaten by a group of level one rangers armed with Slings (this ain't gonna work on the Nintendo.  I've tried).

Speaking of which, did anyone but me notice that the Devils in the NES version look like they were inspired by a certain Go Nagai manga?
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 11:43:14 AM »

Has anyone played the ultima 5 remake using the dungeon siege engine??
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 08:45:01 PM »

That'd require people to own Dungeon Siege.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: