Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334691 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quarter, or "Save Nowhere!"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quarter, or "Save Nowhere!"  (Read 2204 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »

Ya know how we talk about games that are "save anywhere", where there are no save points, you can just open a menu at any time and hit save? Well, I'm playing Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter right now, and I think I've found the closest thing to the oposite of that. This game has to have the most screwed up, overcomplicated save/reload system I've ever seen. Save points every 3 hours that require tokens to operate, a quicksave system, and a reload system that bends you over and rapes you. The power in my cabin sucks, and I often get hit with power strikes and surges. Yesterday I played for over 3 hours, I was just at a town, buying goods before hitting the save station. I was literally 30 seconds away, when a spike hit my place and BOOM, 3 hours of gameplay down the drain. Needless to say, I was pissed.

Beyond that, I'm really liking this game. I really like the style (maybe not the character designs so much), and the adventure-game-like exploration system. The battle system is one of the best I've seen... it's sort of like a weird combination between Valkyrie Profile: Silmaria and Xenogears... both which I didn't particularly like, but this works really well. The music is superb, some of the best I've heard in a while, and the plot looks interesting enough for the time being. I guess it's just the save system that seems incredibly over complicated and broken to me. I also really hate Nina's character design, she's like a more waify Fina (Skies of Aracadia), wearing a curtain... I'm just not into that.

Actually I am getting a sort of Skies of Arcadia vibe in many ways. And since Skies is one of my favorite games, that's not a bad thing.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »

What I really liked about DQ was when I tried to load up a save and then discovered it somehow got corrupted and lost everything, thanks in part to the ingenious inability to copy save information.  And yeah, the whole no save situation in that game burned me once or twice along the way as well.  Combine it with the fact DQ's one of the tougher RPGs out there, and it's borderline cruel.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »

Don't forget to mention the difficulty! Some of those enemies can be total assholes.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »

Yeah, there's definitely plenty of moments where you feel cheated because of the save system. I remember going through some ice tunnel area, and encountering a mom and baby penguin as my enemies. Strategically, I of course killed off the weaker enemy, but then that activated some sort of trigger in the enemy's AI and caused the mom to flip out and cast an AoE ice attack on my party...twice in a row! Three hours down the drain for me, too. :P

Dragon Quarter was one of the most brutal experiences in gaming I've ever had, but I think the game is brilliant nonetheless. It's one of the only games I've ever played that has made me nervous, and has actually given me reason to be afraid of the gameover screen. The fact that I was on my toes the entire game because of this fear just adds to the game's genius, and I completely respect the game designers for forcing us to put up with that bitch of a save system. :P
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:02:19 PM »

Well, the game does have a quick-delete-save feature, which I think every RPG should has as it affects their balance in no way whatsoever. The game can certainly get brutal, although Dragon Powers can certainly get you out of tight situations. And it probably has the highest replay value of any RPG; I managed to get a perfect 1/4 D-Ratio ^^

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 07:03:39 PM »

I think your real problem is that you need to go buy a UPS when you have power outages that frequently. Plug your game system(s) into that, then you'd have no trouble with quick saving!

I think the system's perfectly fine though so long as factors like power outages or corrupt data aren't an issue. It means you h ave to play carefully and not simply fuck around. It isn't really THAT difficult, around the same level as SMT:N and at a fraction of the length.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »

One thing I liked about the challenge was it really made EVERY characters turn matter to the outcome of either the battle, or (to a smaller extent) the game.  Especially since item rations are as limited as they are.

As a Breath of Fire freak, I'm one of 35% who actually like the 180 the game took in its direction.  The game was completely different to the previous ones, and dealt with a very interesting story.  

Also cool to see Hitoshi Sakimoto tackle a more modern/techy soundtrack.  I would love to see him try something other than medevil/war/battlefield settings.

The art style suited the series and atmosphere, and surprisingly, for the limited appearances of each character, they still have quite a bit of depth and side story to them, enough to sympathize with them (Bosch made a great rival, imo).

Lastly, I love the irony of a muted Nina.  Mind you, Ryu's newly founded dialogue is nothing special, he says pretty much what you "imagine" the muted heroes would say.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »

Who's Ryu? They had me name the main character at the beginning, and didn't give me any default.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:20:24 PM »

Play more roguelikes, dinguses.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:59:19 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Play more roguelikes, dinguses.

QFT.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »

So, which BoF would you people recommend the must, besides this one, that saving issue doesn't sound right considering i don't have as much time to play these days.

I heard a lot of praise, and some mixed reviews too, about the third one. I played a bit of the second one and i did like it, simple and standard if you want, but not badly done at all.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 03:55:34 AM »

Quote from: "ChevalierEagle"
So, which BoF would you people recommend the must, besides this one, that saving issue doesn't sound right considering i don't have as much time to play these days.

I heard a lot of praise, and some mixed reviews too, about the third one. I played a bit of the second one and i did like it, simple and standard if you want, but not badly done at all.

Well, the third one is actually my favourite. I don't care what critics say, it still rocks. I also quite like BoF II.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »

In my opinion, II > I > IV > III > V.  I hated Dragon Quarter.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »

Dragon Quarter is easily my favourite RPG of last gen. Never was much of a fan of the BoF series, but I adore DQ.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Ya know how we talk about games that are "save anywhere", where there are no save points, you can just open a menu at any time and hit save? Well, I'm playing Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter right now, and I think I've found the closest thing to the oposite of that. This game has to have the most screwed up, overcomplicated save/reload system I've ever seen. Save points every 3 hours that require tokens to operate, a quicksave system, and a reload system that bends you over and rapes you. The power in my cabin sucks, and I often get hit with power strikes and surges. Yesterday I played for over 3 hours, I was just at a town, buying goods before hitting the save station. I was literally 30 seconds away, when a spike hit my place and BOOM, 3 hours of gameplay down the drain. Needless to say, I was pissed.

God knows how much I hate it when that happens! You literally throw away 3 hours of your live man, they just don't have the right to put us through that. So little time to play and when you finally find a 3 hour (or 2 or whatever) window and in the end lose everything, zero progress, it's just damn frustrating. And sometimes it's so cheap!
In FFXII, when I was playing that dungeon that looks like a bunch of oil platforms in the desert, I explored the whole thing, no stone unturned, it's fuckin' huge, took me about 2 hours. Then, at the end, with the save point already in sight, a new enemy comes along. Just one, it wasn't an elemental, I already knew those were dangerous. I was clearly overleveled so when my team attacked it I wasn't worried. Well, it wiped me out, I tried to run but it chased me.
That was the only time I let that happen in that game though, sure taught me a lesson.
I hate losing progress. I mean, I don't want to defeat every boss on my first try, but I don't want to repeat a 2 hour long dungeon if I lose. I want to lose, learn from my mistakes, change my strategy and dive right into the battle again.

3 hours without a save point? Give me a break. What if after 2 hours you suddenly have to do something and turn off the game? Do the game designers think that people don't have anything else to do?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: