Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 09:57:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327879 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Converting to PC - Need Guidance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Converting to PC - Need Guidance  (Read 128 times)
MacGamer

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »

If you can't tell by my user name, I have been a Mac computer guy since 2006.  I run a 2010 iMac with a third gen i5 quad core processor.  It has served me well as an art and animation tool (aka my career) and for the longest time, I've also gamed on it.  Steam and GOG have been boosting support for Mac OSX over the last few years.
But a while ago, I noticed that having my cpu run not only the Creative Suite but also Steam, my GOG downloads, and the basic apps on OSX was making it harder and harder for my animations to run smoothly.  While working in Flash or After Effects on it's own, the cpu would idle at about 10%.  So, I uninstalled steam and every one of the games I had from GOG and other download services . . . and I immediately noticed a jump in processing quality.

This has lead me to thinking that perhaps I should invest in a PC that's sole purpose is web surfing and gaming, freeing up my Mac for art and animation only.  However, I am completely naive to Windows or Linux based PCs and have no idea where to start.  I'm also on a fairly tight budget and am only willing to invest $500-$700 on a PC tower (already have a spare monitor).  While I know building a PC would probably be best, I've also been looking at pre-built rigs at Newegg and Best Buy.  But it's all so foreign to me, I'm not really sure what kind of computer I should buy for my needs.

Any suggestions, recommendations or assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Please help this poor lost Mac soul and guide him to the glorious realm of PC gaming :D

Much obliged!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »

I've also been looking at pre-built rigs at Newegg and Best Buy.

Oh God please not Best Buy. Newegg is probably alright as they are a great place to shop parts but I'll do ya one better.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/vanquish-ii.asp   -- Scroll to the bottom and there is one for $699 (and one for $779 if you wanted to spend a tad more) that is probably a good start.  I love and swear by Digital Storm and I'm confident that it's more than likely better than what BB or Newegg will offer for a similar price (though admittedly I've never browsed the full built pc section on Newegg).

Kinda weird about Steam and GoG doing that to your mac.  Did it do that even if the Steam app was completely closed in the background?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MacGamer

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 03:48:52 PM »

Kinda weird about Steam and GoG doing that to your mac.  Did it do that even if the Steam app was completely closed in the background?

Yeah, it was bizarre.  I'd have nothing else open while working in After Effects and I'd start getting slowdown on my renders or ram preview.  I'd pop open Activity Monitor and see that a good chunk of my cpu and memory was being used up by Steam or GOG Downloader . . . that wasn't even open.  It actually made me worried that something was wrong with my processor.  But, after I uninstalled everything, it was fine. 
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »

Macs are PCs too.

I'm just saying...

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »

Yeah, it was bizarre.  I'd have nothing else open while working in After Effects and I'd start getting slowdown on my renders or ram preview.  I'd pop open Activity Monitor and see that a good chunk of my cpu and memory was being used up by Steam or GOG Downloader . . . that wasn't even open.  It actually made me worried that something was wrong with my processor.  But, after I uninstalled everything, it was fine. 

Sounds like Steam/GoG weren't completely closed just minimized and perhaps were downloading patches as Steam seems to always do that once you build up a decent game library.  Were you hitting the X in the corner to close steam/gog or ctrl+q (i think that is the shortcut it has been awhile)?

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »

Macs are PCs too.

I'm just saying...

MacGamer

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »

Sounds like Steam/GoG weren't completely closed just minimized and perhaps were downloading patches as Steam seems to always do that once you build up a decent game library.  Were you hitting the X in the corner to close steam/gog or ctrl+q (i think that is the shortcut it has been awhile)?

That could be it.  I'm kind of bad about minimizing or hiding an app as opposed to quitting.  Also, kind of a sidebar, whenever I'd boot up my Mac, Steam would automatically launch and do an update 75% of the time.  Origin did the same thing (for the 5 seconds I had Origin on my computer lol) and I could never find a preference setting to stop it from doing it.  I also found that once I uninstalled Steam and Origin, my Mac would boot up a lot faster.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »

I can't speak for Origin as I've never had it, but there is an option to stop Steam from loading at launch as it doesn't load on launch for me.  Between that option so it doesn't load on boot and making sure to quit the apps, you might not even need a separate computer.  Though if you still do want one, http://www.digitalstormonline.com/vanquish-ii.asp is worth checking out.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

Macs are PCs too.

I'm just saying...

FUCKING THANK YOU.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »

Macs aren't PCs though, 'cause a Mac user never keep it to theyself.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »

Macs are PCs too.

I'm just saying...

Yeah, but he's looking for a system to play games on.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:18 PM »

Macs aren't PCs though, 'cause a Mac user never keep it to theyself.

You work 8 days a week
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:48:57 AM »

Is there a specific objection to Boot Camp?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: