Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2015, 01:07:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
360396 Posts in 14629 Topics by 2274 Members
Latest Member: DucretAlex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print
Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.  (Read 9124 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »

I agree that StarTropics 2 has better controls, but the lives system and more generally frustrating platforming made it a weaker game overall, IMO....or did the first game have limited continues, too? I can't remember anymore and I can't find anybody talking about it. >_<

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »

I honestly can't remember. Star Tropics mostly bring to mind images of tiles and the frustration that came with it, which is kind of weird, because I do remember liking the game. Not that Star Tropics 2 is an easy game, but movements were more fluid and to me that made it more tolerable.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2015, 09:57:45 PM »

The first game had lives, but no limited continues. Apparently the second game does that as well. Or at least that's what I'm assuming since no one ever mentions the clear lives system that I can see in screenshots, but then again, do I really trust the internet?

EDIT: Oh hey, I remembered one of my old forumites from another site did a video review of the game, and he actually does bring up the lives thing. Yeah, that wasn't the bad part, it was the "5 stars to earn back a single piece of your health" thing that hurt the game. I plum forgot, there were times when you were better off dying than trying to grind for health...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

Not really a recommend me a game issue, quite the contrary in fact.

Having a really hard time keeping my wallet closed with the most recent PSN flash sale. The two temptations being Okami HD and Mass Effect Trilogy, as the sale implies both are under $5.

Okami HD is the harder of the two to say no to. I love that game, and the argument I have against getting it is do I really want to take time away from my backlog to play through a game I've already completed with 100% of everything.

Mass Effect Trilogy is a little easier to say no to, since I've never been a huge fan of Bioware games. HOWEVER, $5 for 3 games is a hard deal to say no to, and not playing through the Mass Effect games has left me out of the loop in a lot of situations within the gaming community. Still, again, that's a big time commitment for something I don't even particularly care for.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »

Necroing this thread to ask if Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth (the Vita remake) is worth the 6 dollars it will cost me during the current PSN flash sale.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: June 27, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »

Speaking of which, is Mind Zero worth $10?

EDIT: Decided to grab it, alongside Neptunia and Monster Monpiece. Now I just need space to download them...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:11:47 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »

Looking for a recommendation again! Right now, there are two things going on for me:
1. Heat wave, which means I want to stay indoors and play games on a console. (Handhelds get uncomfortably warm in summer and my laptop isn't much better.)
2. I'm (sorta) playing Oreshika on my Vita and that has unusual/unfamiliar systems. I don't feel like playing another game that makes me learn new things. It's way too hot to learn new things.

So, what I want is a console game I can get into with an absolute minimum amount of adjusting. Looking at my 'to play' shelf, I figure these are my options:
Grandia Xtreme
Star Ocean 4
Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~
Blue Dragon
Enchanted Arms

Oh, and I'm just looking for reasons to play one of these games, they don't have to be good reasons. "Play Blue Dragon, because you need a reminder that Mistwalker never had much potential anyway" is good enough for me. 
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »

I've not played Blue Dragon, but I've heard the combat system is fairly simple so if that's true, it would fulfill your desire for something not too complex. Star Ocean 4 is paced way too slow to be an enjoyable distraction from the heat.
zergrav
Software Artist
Administrator

csparks.project sparksine
View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »

Whenever I'm down, seeing this persistent thread on the forums always raises my spirits. This is probably among the "neatest" uses of the forum I've seen.

I wouldn't be surprised if some asshole thought it would be a good idea to integrate right into the site ^^

If it ain't broke, *start* outsourcing your QA department.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2015, 08:03:31 PM »

Looking for a recommendation again! Right now, there are two things going on for me:
1. Heat wave, which means I want to stay indoors and play games on a console. (Handhelds get uncomfortably warm in summer and my laptop isn't much better.)
2. I'm (sorta) playing Oreshika on my Vita and that has unusual/unfamiliar systems. I don't feel like playing another game that makes me learn new things. It's way too hot to learn new things.

So, what I want is a console game I can get into with an absolute minimum amount of adjusting. Looking at my 'to play' shelf, I figure these are my options:
Grandia Xtreme
Star Ocean 4
Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~
Blue Dragon
Enchanted Arms

Oh, and I'm just looking for reasons to play one of these games, they don't have to be good reasons. "Play Blue Dragon, because you need a reminder that Mistwalker never had much potential anyway" is good enough for me. 

Sakura Wars is good if you want to get all hot and steamy with your designated harem (also steampunk robot SRPG).

Enchanted Arms has a Metal Wolf Chaos cameo, that's about it.

Grandia Xtreme is the 'at least its a Grandia game' of the Grandia series.

Blue Dragon is the 'at least its a JRPG' of the 360's library.

Star Ocean 4: <this space intentionally left blank>

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »

I think SO4 is one of the few RPGs I actually had FUN playing past (current?) gen. At least in terms of gameplay design and providing you're playing the PS3 version. It's stupid yes, so not recommended for the "I-play-for-the-story" -type people.

I guess borrowing from above "at least its a Star Ocean game" is somewhat accurate.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: