Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 214372 times)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« Reply #1305 on: August 08, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
Right.  But Chickens AND Frogs?  Totally Tactics.  :P

Further Thoughts on Random Encounter 114 - "Diet Thief"

- Something to remember about Pokemon Go: it's a free app.  A more traditional Pokemon with a normal price tag is not going to sell a console to every Go user or anything.

-....aaaand that's actually it.  Would have liked to hear a little bit more from Dice, but oh well.  Great episode everyone and thanks as always for all your hard work on the podcasts/reviews/site/twitter feed!
Current RPG - Pokemon Sun, Atelier Rorona, Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f

Embryon

• RPGFan Editor
  • モナドの力
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 08, 2016, 04:05:16 PM »
You're right, Arvis, I totally missed the Tactics link! As an update, I finished running through the dungeon and got my reward (a shiny book for my Summoner) in about a week of playing casually, so it's not a huge timesink. Pretty cool concept-- I hope they expand upon it thoughtfully in the future.

And yeah, we need to get Dice to talk more! I think we're too used to jumping in and piggybacking off of each other. She's too polite to talk over us, haha.
"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #1307 on: August 12, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
I haven't been on the forums in a long time and was wanting to write a letter to you guys, but which e-mail am I supposed to send it to? :)
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing: The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, Resident Evil

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Persona 5, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Nioh, NieR: Automata

Embryon

• RPGFan Editor
  • モナドの力
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 12, 2016, 12:25:53 PM »
Hey! Good to hear from you, Ivalice Alliance! :) You can write to us at podcast(at)RPGFan(dot)com.

Marshmallow

• OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 28, 2016, 08:53:10 PM »
On the most recent episode, you guys were mentioning how you'd rather play Trails of Cold Steel 2/3 on PS3/4 instead of Vita. I feel the opposite--I played ToCS 1 on Vita and could barely put it down. It helps that that game basically checks every box for me to enjoy it, but I feel as though having a portable option for good RPGs nowadays feels more rare than I'd like it to.  In general, if an RPG goes multiplatform and has a Vita release, that's the version I will buy.  I love that little system, despite Sony obviously not feeling the same way.

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 29, 2016, 11:57:40 AM »
On the most recent episode, you guys were mentioning how you'd rather play Trails of Cold Steel 2/3 on PS3/4 instead of Vita. I feel the opposite--I played ToCS 1 on Vita and could barely put it down. It helps that that game basically checks every box for me to enjoy it, but I feel as though having a portable option for good RPGs nowadays feels more rare than I'd like it to.  In general, if an RPG goes multiplatform and has a Vita release, that's the version I will buy.  I love that little system, despite Sony obviously not feeling the same way.

The Vita's a great system! I'd honestly prefer to play Cold Steel on Vita, but I'm concerned about the purported performance issues (which, if Derek is to be believed, are a tad more egregious in CSII- and I see no reason to doubt his assessment!), and would prefer the most optimal performance.

Gotta love having an RPG on the go, though!

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Podcast Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 29, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »

I'm of a similar mentality, at least when it comes to PS3 and Vita. There's something amazing about having a full-fledged console-quality game that you can take with you on the go and play whenever you want. I used to lug a console with me when visiting my dad; now, I just bring the Vita and work on my portable backlog. It's great!

I'll be getting CSII on Vita, partly because I have the first game on Vita but mostly because that's where I'd prefer to play it. I have so many console games to get through already, and I can only play them when I'm home; having CSII on Vita means I can play it at work, when traveling, visiting family, sick in bed, etc.

The performance issues on Vita are certainly not ideal, but the first Cold Steel had noticeable slow down in certain areas too, so I don't think it'll bother me that much. Honestly, what I find most annoying about the first game's performance on Vita is that it doesn't run at native resolution, which makes things a little blurry at times.

As for Cold Steel III, we'll have to see what the graphics look like on PS4 versus Vita (assuming it even comes out on Vita; last I heard, Falcom is kind of up in the air about that). If it's a significant improvement, I'll probably get it on PS4 first and then get the Vita version later. If not, I may just get the Vita version.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:28:28 PM by Lian_Kazairl »
I'm the Dark Souls of Xeno-everything and FFXII. YES, I CAN BE BOTH.

Marshmallow

• OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 30, 2016, 04:51:49 PM »
Another reason I feel like I probably won't regret the Vita version is that I didn't even notice any of the performance issues in CS1. I assume despite the report of the slowdown in CS2 being worse, that if I do notice it, it won't bother me as much as someone who's more chiefly concerned with performance.  Also I played through Drakengard 3 and I don't think another game can ever top the chuggs I had to experience in that.

Towns Car Marty

• RPGFan Editor
  • for  play  in  town  &  car
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #1313 on: August 31, 2016, 05:56:24 AM »
It'll be fine, I'm sure. I ended up double-dipping on Vita and PS3 for the first game, something I rarely do. I didn't see a vast difference between them.

Embryon

• RPGFan Editor
  • モナドの力
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 31, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »
The slowdown is noticeable, but it's not enough to make the game unplayable by any means. I do feel like CSII runs a bit worse than CSI on Vita, though. It's prone to having many more characters on-screen at once and the engine rather obviously taxes the Vita's CPU.

Don't let that stop you from getting the Vita version if portability is paramount for you-- it's the same great game, after all! :)

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: Yesterday at 12:50:13 PM »
PROTIP FOR ROB'S XV CONTROL ISSUES: Switch to control option C (Attack R2, Defend L2) in the options menu. It gives you control of the camera while you are sprinting and helped me get into a mindset in battles where R2 is the "gas pedal" and L2 is the "brakes." No crab claw necessary WHATSOEVER

The only thing it makes more difficult is button mashing for if you get grabbed by an enemy.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:54:15 PM by Arklight »
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"