Author Topic: Most anticipated JRPG of 2018?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Most anticipated JRPG of 2018?
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 11:51:35 PM »
Since Digimon: Hacker's Memories and Ni no Kuni II are both out (and both are reportedly good, but not as good as the first games in their respective series), and Kingdom Hearts 3 is no longer a 2018 game (to the surprise of no one, I'm sure), I'd say:

Metal Max Xeno and Dragon Quest XI. The former is from a niche series I've always loved, the latter is a much anticipated entry in a series that has been evolving at a snail's pace to the point where it usually scratches that retro itch while still offering a new modern experience.

EDIT:

Actually just read through the previews on this site, and I think Valkyria Chronicles 4 just jumped up a good deal higher on the list. It sounds like it'll be true to the series mechanically, and I'm looking forward to just getting to play more of it on the big screen again.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:00:51 AM by Mickeymac92 »

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »
My first post in this thread said "Valkyria Chronicles 4 and it isn't even close", but honestly I'm pretty well decided on focusing on Dragon Quest XI instead.  Not entirely sure what changed my mind, but there you go.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 11:25:55 PM »
I am 100% in agreement with myself from five months ago.  Although I didn't predict how much I ended up loving Monster Hunter World.

Dragon Quest XI. That game looks gorgeous and I adore Dragon Quest. Hopefully the worldwide release is on all three announced systems.

Octopath Traveler if that comes out in 2018. The demo was great and I really, REALLY liked the two Bravely games. Not sure if that working title should be changed or not, heh.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. If this counts as a JRPG then its near the top of my list. I love the IGA-style Castlevania games; I miss having them around; and Bloodstained looks like one in all but name.