Author Topic: Today In The News

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Re: Today In The News
« Reply #1770 on: December 27, 2016, 08:23:09 PM »
Yeah what an end to a year rotten with the deaths of so many major celebrities. I'm 34 and it is really strange having people like Carrie Fisher die. It is traggic because she was young (as were a lot of the artists that died recently were) but when you kind of grew up with that stuff it adds another dimension.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: December 28, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »
As some folks in my social media circles have been pointing out, constantly blaming 2016 is going to make you feel like absolute shit when 2017 turns out to be just as bad as 2016 or even worse. As far as the deaths are concerned, its reaching the point that the Baby Boom was long enough ago that we're going to start to see a Death Boom and the chances of those deaths being big name celebrities is still the same as ever.
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: December 28, 2016, 05:47:16 AM »
I kind of agree 2017 will be worse for a variety of reasons, well, for certain... kinds of people.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:58 PM »
No, this isn't just the generation coming to an end...this is some biblical plague type shit.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/12/debbie-reynolds-died-age-84?client=ms-android-att-us

Debbie Reynolds, mother of our dearly missed Princess Leia, just had a stroke and died.

TASTY!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: December 28, 2016, 09:47:59 PM »
Knowing Fisher, she'd probably make a joke about her mom stealing her death spotlight.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1775 on: December 29, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
For the past two years, I supported students in a Musical Theater class and both years the class favorite musical was Singin' in the Rain.  And I blew kids' minds when I told them that Debbie Reynolds, who played Kathy Selden, was the mother of Carrie Fisher aka Princess Leia. 
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 29, 2016, 07:54:11 PM »
For me, she will always be Charlotte.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: Yesterday at 08:27:39 PM »
In the midst of all this Trumpiness, Obama commutes Chelsea Manning's sentence. I'm sure opinions on this would be split even here, but I think of it as a positive.

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: Yesterday at 10:10:57 PM »
I kinda don't see his random acts of kindness as compensating for the other 8 years of crap though.. to be honest... not to be super-political but the Democrats set themselves up for a lot of the problems they have currently.

What I wouldn't give for a viable 3rd party...

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: Yesterday at 10:24:15 PM »
I doubt this is so much an act of kindness as it is them trying to call Assange on his bluff that he'd surrender himself if Manning received clemency. They simultaneously doubled down on how Snowden doesn't deserve such treatment because he didn't allow himself to be put in trial in front of the same sort groups of people that sentenced Manning to a prison sentence apparently deemed worthy of shortening, despite the fact that Snowden's actions were far more calculated than Manning's "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" method of releasing information. Doesn't take much looking to find most of those serving in the military are not happy with this decision.

And you are in many ways correct Dems set themselves up for the problems they face today, though I doubt I'd agree with any actual reasoning behind that you might have.

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: Yesterday at 10:26:28 PM »
Well I guess you just sort of made my point there... plus I just saw somewhere it was "Bulk" of the sentence. Plus, there's these other political bargaining etc.

The idea that you just do a spontaneous act of kindness for someone was never on the Dems checklist, I feel like it's always just been money and that's a shame.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: Yesterday at 10:38:24 PM »
She's served 7 years of her 35-year sentence, and she's getting released in a few months, so yes, bulk of the sentence gone.

It's rare to find politicians doing random acts of kindness, if they wanted to do that they wouldn't go into politics. I don't agree with the notion that all politicians only care about money, but it is often a high priority because money is needed to, like, do stuff. I'm curious for you to explain where releasing Chelsea Manning is going to magically make the Dems a bunch of money though. Lots of annoying realpolitik involved yes, I don't feel that takes away from doing an overall good thing.

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: Yesterday at 10:41:44 PM »
It's really not rare at all, just in more modern times perhaps, or in the US, nor does it have to be, it's a question of pride more often than not.

People that build up a lot of resentment within themselves eventually find they can no longer access emotions like love or affection, even if it might of been commonplace in their own life at one point.

By the time people ascend through the modern political ladders, the only pre-eminent force is resentment, how or why they got there isn't my concern, but it's certainly not inevitable or necessary.

The parts about Assange and also the fact that she was denied before (while Obama was still President) suggest that it's not necessarily monetary but certainly the result of calculation and not necessary native human empathy.

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: Today at 01:53:35 AM »
But anyway I just don't follow a lot of politics in the US a lot due to that cynicism, as oftentimes both parties I just end up very meh.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1784 on: Today at 06:27:28 PM »
I've been contacting my state legislators and trying to advocate against the choice of Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education.  She has ZERO experience in the classroom and basically wants to dismantle public schools in favor of for-profit charter schools.  Basically, she wants to sell out our students.  This is especially harmful for special needs students, the ones that I teach.  It's hard enough that society pretty much thinks they're unteachable lost causes, and I'm working hard to teach those deemed unteachable.  And someone like Betsy DeVos would completely undermine everything we special educators do.  When a New Hampshire senator asked DeVos a question about how her son (with cerebral palsy who attends public school) would be affected, all DeVos could respond was, "Hurr durr duhhhh."  A quality education is a right, not a privilege, and everyone should have the right to a quality public education.   

Trump himself is not the scary monster.  It's his cabinet/administration/the people he's surrounding himself with who is/are.  Impeaching Trump would merely give us Pence who, again, frightens me much much more.  His policy track record shows complete and utter disregard for the environment and for the rights of women, minorities, immigrants, the LGBTQ community, the working class, and those who follow different religions (if he ruled the land, there would be mandatory prayer in schools.  Sorry, but that goes against the principles this country was founded on.)  In the land of Mike Pence, I represent almost everything that's wrong with America.  I'm a minority, an immigrant-turned-citizen (and I earned that citizenship), working poor (serving under-served students in our nation's public schools), atheist, and environmentalist.  Were I an LGBTQ woman on top of that, I would be everything wrong with America (though I am obviously a strong supporter of women's and LGBTQ rights.) 

I'm honestly terrified about the direction the country is heading in.  And the Democrats are being complete idiots about it.  Boycotting the inauguration?  That just sounds like a petulant child crying, "Waaaah waaah waaah, I'm pissed off, I'm gonna go to my room and slam the door!"  If the Dems really want to make a statement, they should go to the inauguration, show some gumption, and fight!  Be a thorn in the side of the Trump administration to obstruct their policies that basically massage them while gut-punching us, the common people. 

Both parties, jackass and elephant, are disappointments.  One's a set of smug elitists who don't have our best interests at heart and the other's a set of smug elitists who can't govern for beans.  I'm a registered Independent now. 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60