Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 04:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327545 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  What kind of music do you listen to?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What kind of music do you listen to?  (Read 13083 times)
Validus
Banninated

Validuss
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:27:14 PM »

i listen to Reggaeton becuz the beats sound like samples taken directly from SNES games and theres many RPGesque epic instruments used in them as well.

If you listen to 'Cruzito feat. Ken-Y - desperate for your love' you hear a Secret of Mana sample LOUND AND CLEAR within the first 12 seconds, the beat has a sample taken from the overworld map right outside the dwarfs cave.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:50:24 AM »

Not sure if this thread will stay open, but I'll go for it anyway.

My musical tastes are ridiculously diverse these days. Two years ago I would have called myself a metalhead, but now metal only makes up about 20% of my musical diet. I do still enjoy a good slab of fucking metal, which is what's important! Be it the likes of Maiden and Priest, to Opeth, Reverend Bizarre or The Crown.

Beyond that I listen to all sorts. Lots of prog-rock, Pink Floyd being my favourite band. The classics are amazing, Yes, ELP, Genesis etc. Then there's modern acts like Porcupine Tree, Oceansize, Devin Townsend.

I also like a lot of classic rock, The Who, Led Zep, Status Quo, AC/DC etc.

I also listen to lots of instrumental music, from post-rock to classical piano to ambient to drone. I'm also beginning to get into folk music, electro, and even very select things that come under the dance and dub genre.

Then there's my tastes for cheesy 80s pop. I'm a big ABBA fan :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:26:51 AM »

I'm pretty much all over the place too when it comes to musical preference.  I can go from Quo Vadis to Fleetwood Mac to Eminem.
Like Deg said above, I can also go for some Classical or even Electro from time to time.

Mostly Though, these days, I'm listening to early Van Halen, Zakk Wylde and Allman Bros. tunes. But, like I said, that's sure to change soon. I'm even starting to go a little country....must be gettin' old:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:50:49 AM »

I mainly listen to 80s rock in American music. I've tried getting into rap before, but the lyrics are the same in every song. I've tried getting into metal, but the vocals just turn me off with all that screaming, though I like the actual music the the songs.

Japanese music is what I listen to the most, mostly anime themes, but outside of those, I listen to RIP Slyme, Home Made Kazoku, nobodyknows+, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, FLOW, L'Arc~en~Ciel, High and Mighty Color and whoever else I feel like listening too.

I'd say HandMC's early music is the closest thing to metal I listen too...but their newer crap sucks, so I just pretend they don't exist.
Validus
Banninated

Validuss
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:34:38 AM »

why would it get closed Dragora?

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »

Rock and Metal I guess. I do listen to a bit of late 80's - early 90's hip hop every now and again.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Validus
Banninated

Validuss
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

i love 80s music also

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »

My favorite two bands are Modest Mouse and Cloud Cult. I'm not sure how either band would be classified. Clout Cult I guess can sometimes be described as having a sort of twee-indie aesthetic, but then half of their songs are about death, dying, or the front man's dead son. So there goes the twee part. And I'm not really one for considering "indie" its own genre; it means independent, but there are so many different variations that slapping the word "indie" on something doesn't really describe it at all.

Overall I listen to just about everything. Right now I've been listening to The Switches- Lay Down the Law a whole lot. They're pop rock.

I can enjoy a serving of metal now and again, but it's not a staple of my diet. Most metal to me sounds pretty similar, so my tastes in that regard aren't really developed.

I like prog rock. I like electronica, trance, techno. I like classical. I like hip hop. Not too huge a fan of R&B. Rap has its exceptions (Nas, Kanye, Danger Mouse, Jay Z), but I'm not really a fan of it (think shit like Lil Wayne and Flavor Flav).

The only genre that I can't stand (minus maybe two or three songs I've heard in my entire life) is country. Fuck country.

Having moved to Ohio from New York is like torture for someone who hates country music. Everybody here listens to it. Fuck everybody here.

[/url]
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »

Don't know if it would interest you or not, but as far as Metal goes I can't get enough of Devin Townsend's solo work. His album Terria quickly became a favourite of mine. This is one of my favourite songs from the album.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
I mainly listen to 80s rock in American music. I've tried getting into rap before, but the lyrics are the same in every song. I've tried getting into metal, but the vocals just turn me off with all that screaming, though I like the actual music the the songs.

Japanese music is what I listen to the most, mostly anime themes, but outside of those, I listen to RIP Slyme, Home Made Kazoku, nobodyknows+, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, FLOW, L'Arc~en~Ciel, High and Mighty Color and whoever else I feel like listening too.

I'd say HandMC's early music is the closest thing to metal I listen too...but their newer crap sucks, so I just pretend they don't exist.

Man, I hate when people make such blanket statements about an entire genre of music.  

As for me I listen to a pretty wide array of music though I do primarily listen to Hip Hop, mostly underground American and Korean.  I also listen to a bit of Jazz and things that fit into a genre I don't know if I could label but would be along the lines of Electronica/Jazz/Traditional Asian music
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:44:36 PM »

I <3 Devin Townsend.  Guy's a musical mad scientist.  I swear if he and Mike Patton did and album together, the world would implode.  Ocean Machine: Biomech is my fave Devy album.  Vai's Sex and Religion album was mostly panned, but I loved it because the singer was amazing.  It was Devy's debut and he slayed.  

As for my musical tastes, I like a wide variety.  "From Disney to Death Metal" I like to say.  I enjoy jazz, classical, some opera, electronic (like trip hop, some techno), funk, rock, hip-hop, R&B, old Motown, Asian pop, ethnic music, reggae, many kinds... my favorite style of music is easily progressive metal, be it stuff like Symphony X or more avant-garde stuff like Dysrhythmia or Behold... The Arctopus.  I love going to punk and ska shows, I always have so much fun at those.  New Brunswick NJ has a killer music scene and I love going to local shows.  

Music I'm not fond of are: anything intolerant/hateful (i.e. white power/neo-nazi hate rock), emo, overly twangy country/bluegrass, nu-metal, teenybopper pop (i.e. 'NSYNC), two of the worst bands I can think of are Fall Out Boy and Creed- they suck!

I'm a bass player, so I like to experiment with a variety of styles since I never know when/if I'll be called on to play a certain style since there are far fewer bassists running around than guitarists.  I want to try playing more Latin music since salsa style can make funky basslines even funkier.  Most fun I ever had was me and a drummer playing while a hip-hop artist freestyled over our rhythms.  I'd love to form a live instrument hip-hop band int he vein of Savin Ill, Aquavibe, Ozomatli, Arrested Development, The Roots, or somesuch, but every musician in my area either wants to do punk or hardcore.  

http://www.myspace.com/sullendoor is a band I used to play with.  I played on "I Need Hope" and "Old Friends."

I approve of this nonsense!
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »

Hip hop and r&b are my favorite music, my favorite rappers are currently Styles P, Lil Wayne (lol someone hated on him) and Juelz Santana... other than that i like soul, funk, jazz, reggae, afrobeat, reggaeton/dancehall, ambient, IDM/electronic, krautrock, psych, punk/post-punk, some classic rock, some newer rock (though most of it sucks these days), some post-rock, some metal...

in short, pretty much fucking everything. I just really like music.. a lot. It's somewhat rare for me to hear a song I don't like.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 05:42:13 PM »

Another Devy fan over here. I was just listening to Ocean Machine and Terria the other day, awesome stuff. I remember when Terria came out, it was in my player for months. I was so sad when he had to put his dog down, he released this little with him talking about his dog, and he was really sad... I almost cried, anyone remember that?

As for the rest: prog-rock all the way. Been a big prog head since highschool, with no end in sight. I grew up listening to a lot of late-19th and 20th century classical music (Muzzorgski, Ravel, Prokovief, John Adams, etc). I also grew up listening to a lot of Fusion Jazz and Cool Jazz: big Weather Report and Davis fan.

I'd say my favorite bands are probably The Flower Kings, Dream Theater (I just keep coming back to them), Weather Report, and Pain of Salvation. But I used to listen to a lot of Yes, Genesis, Rush, and Pink Floyd... just don't find myself listening to them as much these days.

I'll put up a few of my band's tunes here in a few weeks, once I get the drums tracked.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »

Rather than talk about what kinds of music I like I'll just list my favorite artists, which I think might give you a better idea of my overall tastes:

Arnold Schoenberg, Astor Piazzolla, Cecil Taylor, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Stravinsky, Bach, Miya Masaoka, Hamza el Din, pre-Black Album Metallica, Public Enemy, Terry Riley, Mal Waldron, Herbie Hancock, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland = my favorite album of all time), Yes, War, Marvin Gaye, Parliament/Funkadelic, Miyagi Michio, Mos Def, the Velvet Underground, Matt Molloy, Sergei Rachmaninov, Hassan Hakmoun, Toumani Diabate, ok I think I should stop now.

See what I mean? Just listing the different kinds of music would take all day, so I just listed my favorite artists which wound up having the same effect. :P
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 06:06:18 PM »

Metal.  If I can't kill a goat to it, I don't want to fucking hear it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: