Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  What kind of music do you listen to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What kind of music do you listen to?  (Read 12676 times)
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 07:58:54 PM »

Alt Nation 21 and Madison.

She is so fly.

JP
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 09:57:37 PM »

Metal
Jazz
Drum & Bass
"Classic" Rock
Prog Rock
"Alternative" (though half of those bands are turning into classic rock)
Punk

Pretty much anything but opera and country, which lick goat's balls.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 02:14:24 AM »

Very favorite artists/bands:

Agalloch, Anathallo, Arcade Fire, The Beatles, Boris, Coheed and Cambria, Miles Davis, The Dear Hunter, Dream Theater, dredg, Eluvium, Envy, Explosions in the Sky, Genesis, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Gregor Samsa, Isis, Jaga Jazzist, Kayo Dot, King Crimson, The Mars Volta, Joanna Newsom, Pain of Salvation, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Protest the Hero, Radiohead, The Receiving End of Sirens, Red House Painters, Talk Talk's last two albums, Shiina Ringo, Shpongle, Sigur Rós, A Silver Mt. Zion, Slowdive, Sufjan Stevens, Thrice, Ulver

I will listen to anything enthustiastically recommended to me from anybody that I trust will get me into good music. There are a few communities I turn to for people like that.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 03:03:36 AM »

Talk Talk's last two albums

Yes!
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 05:56:16 AM »

Quote from: "SonicDeathMonkey"
Talk Talk's last two albums

Yes!

I've been meaning to pick those up for an insane amount of time now.

I'd also like to show my enormous appreciation for Devin Townsend. Terria is my favourite album of his. It's so damned powerful. I remember the moment it clicked with me and I realised just how incredible it was. I tend to lean towards later Devy albums, so I like Synchestra and Ziltoid a lot. I also have one of his ambient albums, and it's really rather good!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »

I once covered (badly) a Devy tune at a live event. I prefaced it by saying, "Now, this next song goes out to all my friends, it's called 'Bastard'"

It's my ultimate "fuck you" song, I love it so much. But to this day, probably my favorite track of his is Regulator... HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 07:04:15 PM »

Laughing Stock in particular is just phenomenal... so goddamn good....

Well this thread is giving me recs up the arse good thing I have what and waffles now :D

One thing though... I have to say that my all time favorite musician, of any kind ever, has to be Bob Dylan. So much great material, from his first record to his last. Plus all the Bootleg series releases... I know I still haven't heard all of his material which just blows my mind. The No Direction Home album is currently my favorite, some of the alternate takes and live versions blow the originals out of the water ("When the Ship Comes In" and "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues," in particular).

Arcade Fire's first album was terrific but I was somewhat disappointed by Neon Bible... it lacked some of the originality of Funeral, there was something about that record that was really unique and awesome. "Bad Vibrations/Black Wave" (I think that's what it was called) was a great song, though. I dunno, NB wasn't bad... I still consider them a great band. Can't wait for the third album.... Radiohead, on the other hand... I don't have so many good words about. Other than a couple tracks from The Bends and OK Computer, their only album that I really dug was Kid A, which really got a lot of its style from Aphex Twin, which I was okay with since they pulled it off so well. Since then, though, I haven't enjoyed ANY song from ANY of their subsequent albums, and I've listened to them all. Most overrated band ever in my opinion....

Wow that's kind of a long post, I guess I just felt like typing about music for a minute there heh.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 09:02:26 PM »

A lot of old punk rock. The usual faces (The Clash, Sex Pistols,) to the lesser known stuff (Gang of Four, Richard Hell, Television).

Proto-punk bands like the Stooges and the Velvet Underground. The Velvets are a favorite of mine. White Light/White Heat is a masterpiece.

I guess I'll call it Alternative. Sonic Youth (probably my single favorite band), Dinosaur Jr. (did anybody catch the awesomeness that is Beyond?), The Pixies. The first CD I ever owned was Nirvana Nevermind . In second grade I traded a Hulk game for the Genesis for a copy, which I still have (and still works) to this day. I'm 20 now.

The Beatles.

A lot of other 60's inspired pop like Belle and Sebastian, The Shins, and The Boy Least Likely To.

Reggae. While Bob Marley is alright, I tend to like the other two parts of the Wailers more. Bunny Wailer's Blackheart Man and Peter Tosh's Equal Rights are my favorite of the trio's work. Burning Spear, Augustus Pablo, and Buju Banton get honorable mentions too.

Ska. All three waves. The Skatalites are really phenomenal. The Toasters, The Slackers, RX Bandits, Satori.

Classical. I really dig John Cage's theory of Music=Noise so Noise=Music.

My favorite band of the moment is Animal Collective. I like how they use sounds that are not musical in nature, but are essential parts of the compositions. Panda Bear's vocal style (singing very melodically and then switching without warning to a bloddcurdling scream that is still melodic) is just impressive.

A tiny bit of Folk. I haven't really explored a lot of this genre yet. Favorites are: Bob Dylan (early acoustic in particular), MV + EE, and Billy Brag.

There's more. A lot more, but this is a pretty good sample.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »

i mainly listen to dance ,hip hop and um techno but thats kinda the same thing as dance i guess. i listen to some pop too. when i was in high school i was into britney spears more upbeat stuff. i also listen to music from videogames. but that mostly falls under the category of megaman(1-8,and some from the X series)super robot wars(only from original characters) phantasy star online and universe(epiosde 3 has great music) and FFXI has some great music as well. i used to listen to rap when i was younger but that was back when coolio's fantastic voyage was new lol. i listen to rhianna but that probally falls under hip hop or pop.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 10:34:28 AM »

Just for shits and giggles, my favourite bands are (sort of in order):

Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theater
The Beatles
Iron Maiden

Although I've decided that from now on I am going to listen to Hawkwind and nothing else.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:25 AM »

I enjoy rhythm and blues.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »

Quote from: "Degolas"

Although I've decided that from now on I am going to listen to Hawkwind and nothing else.

Well, it's not like you'll run out of shit to listen to anytime soon.  I approve of this. :P

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »

Quote from: "Vanguard"
Classical. I really dig John Cage's theory of Music=Noise so Noise=Music.

Seconded.
valentine08
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »

<3 nightwish ^^

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »

Fuck Metal, Fuck Dance/Techno/whatever else lame name you want to give the electronic shit. Fuck mainstream rap. Did I mention fuck Metal? Fuck it in it's dirty smelly ass.

Give me Ska, Punk, "pop punk" and Nerdcore. Skatalites, Operation Ivy, Less Than Jake(mostly the older stuff), NoFx, MXPX, Schaffer the Darklord, MC Frontalot, Optimus Rhyme. Just to name a few.

PS. Those who know me know that I really don't hate all metal...I just like fucking with the Metalheads. As the title of a Less than Jake song says "All My Best Friends are Metalheads" Fuck you DR and Losfer.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: