Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:09:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338101 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So X Edge (& Chaos Wars & crossover RPGs in general)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: So X Edge (& Chaos Wars & crossover RPGs in general)  (Read 2652 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2008, 06:18:45 PM »

http://rpgfan.com/news/2008/1165.html

I don't know about anyone else, but Morrigan and Felicia in an RPG?  I'm sold.  

There's speculation all over the place as to a potential US release of X Edge.  Sure it seems highly unlikely, but considering Chaos Wars is getting a US release and features IPs less known in the US than the ones in X Edge (Spectral Souls, Ar Tonelico, Disgaea, Mana Khemia, and Darkstalkers got US releases), here's hoping.  Speaking of Chaos Wars, anyone anticipating it?

But on the other hand, crossovers can be hit or miss for me.  The Super Robot Taisen games are good, but Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology was weak.  

So yeah, talk about X Edge, Chaos Wars, and crossover RPGs here.  Maybe talk about what characters you'd like to see in a crossover RPG.  The thread can go anywhere.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »

I'm not particularly fond of crossovers since they typically come at the expense of good storytelling...

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »

Do you think there is an effective way for a crossover to have a decent storyline while still maintaining its fanservice (which is the main selling point)?

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »

Kingdom Hearts was a great crossover in my opinion. Some didn't like the Disney aspect, but since I was a Disney lover as a kid the Disney aspect had more nostalgia for me than any of the Final Fantasy stuff.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:34:12 PM »

Crossovers can be alright if they're handled well, I'm just deeply skeptical about their ability to be integrated correctly in general.  Another issue is that if you haven't played the game that characters are from, you probably won't like them as much as someone who has, and often a series expects you to be familiar with said characters and thus skimp on the characterization that would be there otherwise.  One reason KH is ok is simply because they do go into it with telling the story on the assumption you may not have seen the original material.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 08:13:01 PM »

I have loads to say about this! :)

First of all, the key to a good crossover is setting up a new, original protagonist and somehow convincing the gamer to CARE about this person as you interact with the people from the other universes. Kingdom Hearts did this very well. Sora Riku and Kairi are almost as well-defined in our minds now as, say, Aladdin.

Second, Chaos Wars ... I have high hopes for it. But it might not be that great. We'll see. I have an advanced copy coming in (just one week before it hits retail stores...sigh...). So my review for it will come shortly.

As for X Edge, I am FREAKING OUT about it! I'm also fully convinced that it will come to North America. The big question is, who will get the rights to it for localization? Personally, I hope it isn't handled by the larger companies represented (Bandai Namco, Capcom). The smaller companies would do better, I'd think. I wouldn't be surprised to see NIS America handle it. But we'll see.

Interesting thing to notice about "X Edge" is the inclusion of Bandai *Namco* and *Capcom.* We've seen this before.

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/nxc-ost/index.html

Namco x Capcom never saw an English release, but I'm told the game was mediocre (despite having an awesome soundtrack). But Monolith was in charge of that one, and not everyone trusts Monolith. Compile Heart is an interesting company (see our interview with Yoshiteru Sato). I hope they'll do this one justice.

Ramza

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"

First of all, the key to a good crossover is setting up a new, original protagonist and somehow convincing the gamer to CARE about this person as you interact with the people from the other universes.

I could easily see Mary Sue-ism rearing its ugly head in the hands of less skilled crossover writers incorporating an original protagonist.

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »

Namco X Capcom was ok. Reiji and Shaomu make great leads (not to mention they're returning in Super Robot Wars Endless Saga as PCs).

The main gripe and main beef about NxC was its battle system. It was a nightmare during enemy turns as they get really damn monotonous and unbearable halfway and near endgame.

Oh and its fan translation is already at its open beta phase for those of you not so blessed in the Japanese language. So go ahead and give it a shot for a decent crossover. :/

However, for crossovers done right, the Super Robot series really can't be beat though. ^^;;

Regardless, i too, am looking forward to X Edge.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »

Never being released outside of Japan.  Namco x Capcom had quite a few tie ins with games released in NA and Europe and was never released anywhere in English.  This game has decidely less tie ins with games released in non-JP land.

Sounds exciting, but I'm not expecting to ever play it.  Even though I'd love to.  :P

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Never being released outside of Japan.  Namco x Capcom had quite a few tie ins with games released in NA and Europe and was never released anywhere in English.  This game has decidely less tie ins with games released in non-JP land.

Sounds exciting, but I'm not expecting to ever play it.  Even though I'd love to.  :P

...except for all the Gust and NIS characters. And considering Compile Heart (basically made of I!F staff) has that relationship with NISA...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 06:07:10 AM »

I think this is too obscure or Japan will think it's too obscure for NA. NamcoxCapcom set the precedent, it's not coming out here.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 06:33:08 AM »

Oh my. This sounds terrible.

I hear itís being made by the same guys who did Astonishia Story, which instantly sets off alarm bells for me.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 07:26:21 AM »

But as mentioned earlier, Chaos Wars has even MORE obscure crossover stuff that NA audiences would likely not be aware of and it's getting a US release.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 07:44:32 AM »

i actually enjoyed Namco x Capcom - i thought it was fun and sometimes funny, especially some of the play on words they do...

the battle system... abit meh, tho...
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »

The battle system ruined NxC actually, more then anything. Sure its nice having control of the beatdown... until its the enemy turn... then you'll start cussing from the monotony.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: