Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:35:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329452 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Your Opinion: Mass Effect's DRM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Your Opinion: Mass Effect's DRM  (Read 2654 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »

Man, am I glad I bought the 360 version.

Discuss.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 03:59:49 PM »

Should've brought that up earlier!

Still prefer to have the relatively DRM-free less console version though.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »

Same here, I mean I get them trying to stop pirating, but in the end, you really can't.  And for the few people you may stop, your possibly hurting plenty of paying customers.  And to be honest, especially for games without demos of any kind for the PC, having no protection can mean some free marketing, in terms of someone who "tries" it, likes it, and then goes and picks it up.

I myself am not keen on the whole pirating thing, and I do my best to buy every game I truly thought was worth supporting.  To know I, as a paying customer, don't have to go through a jumble of DRM crap just to play or keep playing my game, is something thats a big plus in my book.

And I know everyone seems to hate EA, but I have to admit its pretty nice that they listened to what gamers were saying and loosened it up.  Even if the developers of the games pushed it on EA, EA could have just said F U but they didn't.  So I think thats kinda cool.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26385172

Issue settled.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:03:38 PM »

Not settled...you still need to activate and authenticate your install with EA...

LAME.

Pirates will always be pirates, but legit gamers just get pissed off and go play the Wii...
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »

Well, if you had a computer that could run this game full spec and you don't have internet at all for it, then something's seriously wrong really. -.-;;
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:42:44 PM »

Why is internet a requirement?

DRM is pointless on any media format.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"

I posted the same thing two posts earlier. Two days earlier too.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Blace"

I posted the same thing two posts earlier. Two days earlier too.

Ah, my bad I didn't see it.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 05:59:55 PM »

Quote from: "Silverwolf X"
Well, if you had a computer that could run this game full spec and you don't have internet at all for it, then something's seriously wrong really. -.-;;

That's not the point.  DRM is anti-consumer because it punishes paying customers.  Pirates always find ways to circumvent copy protection, and cracked versions of the software get distributed across networks to people who had no interest in paying for the product in the first place.  In essence, pirates end up with a superior version of the product... they don't have to deal with DRM.

Your argument is not unlike what's used to justify invasion of privacy... "well, if you weren't doing anything wrong, then you shouldn't care."
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 07:11:06 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
Quote from: "Silverwolf X"

That's not the point.  DRM is anti-consumer because it punishes paying customers.  Pirates always find ways to circumvent copy protection, and cracked versions of the software get distributed across networks to people who had no interest in paying for the product in the first place.  In essence, pirates end up with a superior version of the product... they don't have to deal with DRM.

Your argument is not unlike what's used to justify invasion of privacy... "well, if you weren't doing anything wrong, then you shouldn't care."

Oh I wasn't saying anything abouut DRM, I was just pointing out a fact to people who complain about having to connect to the internet to activate the game. I should have elaborated. :p

Besides, this method of drm checking isn't the first time and didn't start in the states. You can blame Taiwan companies for this bs. Alot of their games have to be registered online and can only be installed 10 times exactly no matter which computer you use it on. UserJoy is the biggest prick about this.

That isn't the only problem though. The authentication server for older games tend to die or have alot of downtime, so people who reinstall an old game and still have install count will find they cannot authenticate the game regardless.

UserJoy got a severe whupping by alot of very angry buyers. Even then they just continue and ignored the complaints.

Now recently they complain of recent piracy increase for their games (Fantasia Sango etc). I wonder why? :P
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: