Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs and Homosexuality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: RPGs and Homosexuality  (Read 15588 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 06:44:59 AM »

Quote from: "Spoony Mage"
Quote from: "CDFN"
The salesmen in shadow hearts covenant are the only ones that come to mind.

Oh geez!  I can't believe I forgot about those two.  They made shopping in that game fun!  Not to mention the masseuse from the first SH game.

Also, if we're going to do it I think it has to be dudes. A girl-girl romance would be too easy, not to mention it's already been done in other games.

I am intrigued by this.  Care to share a few examples?

Oh yeah, the masseuse! I forgot that one!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 09:03:06 AM »

My personal opinion is that Enchanted Arms does the "gay stereotypes" intentionally to sort of get it out of the way (out of the player's system, have a good laugh), and then go BEYOND that and present some more believable material.

IMO, it's better than having gay biker/shopkeeps (*cough* Shadow Hearts FTNW).

I'd recommend you try out Enchanted Arms, Kyle. :)

This is interesting. I didn't mind the gay shopkeeps in SH (I thought they were kind of cool, actually), or Joachim (spelling?), but it was a bit of comic relief. This bit about Enchanted Arms though... I'll have to play it now. Thanks for the recommendation.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »

As long as they are really subtle about it and not have the protagonist be a walking stereotype, I fully support this. It's nice that some games even include homosexual characters in the first place, but if they are there purely for comic relief or some wow/surprise factor, it kinda ruins it for me. I still love Joachim though.

Gender/sexuality is one of those things I consider a secondary (maybe even tertiary) trait. Meaning, oh you're straight? bi? gay? That's nice, moving on! There's a plethora of other human characteristics that define one's personality, so if one were to create a homosexual protagonist, I just hope that the protagonist's gender/sexuality takes a backseat to some of the more interesting personality characteristics that could be addressed.

I think making a game that focuses primarily on the protagonist's homosexuality and things associated with that (gay discrimination, rights, identity issues, whatever) would be really, really interesting and progressive for video gaming, but sadly I don't think the world is ready for that just yet.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »

You have the female student NPC in Persona 3 who has a crush on Mitsuru.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 03:06:25 PM »

I always thought the gay shopkeeper in Nocturne was pretty funny.  Then again, the shopkeepers in SMT games usually are pretty unique.  I particularly liked the shopkeep in DDS2, that guy was awesome.  'The shop is wherever I say the shop is'.  He wasn't kiddin'.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 05:10:33 PM »

There's that guy in Phantasy Star II who teaches your party members skills, but charges female party members more for the service. In the Japanese version, the reason for that was because he is gay. In the American version, it's because he thinks men learn faster.
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »

Damn American censorship.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »

But think of the cheeljren! You don't want the cheeljren to learn about buggery, do you?

No, I'd much rather they learn that girls are stoopid.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »

the fire emblem series has tons of lesbian subtext,almost always involving pegasus knights. most notable to me was Lyn X Florina as well as heather in radiant dawn(she even says she joined your party to meet all the pretty girls :D). you could also make a case that there is some subtext between hrist and silmeria but thats a one way street. theres also Aelia in the original VP. i've heard that one of the saga games had an out lesbian character but her lines were censored in the us version.

ďNormal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.Ē
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
was awesome.  'The shop is wherever I say the shop is'.  

Yep, even when I'm dead

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 01:52:01 AM »

I am intrigued by this. Care to share a few examples?

I knew I'd regret saying this. I was thinking about Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix. Apparently there was a new character in this game that had a romantic relationship with one of the other females. I haven't actually played the game so I guess I shouldn't be talking but it seems like whenever I heard about the game hot and heavy relationship between the two was always brought up. I guess I just looked down on the game because it seemed like the sex thing was it's major selling point (or at least the major point of interest for most people) or something. You could compare it to that DOA volley ball game only a little bit better maybe. But again I haven't played the game so I really shouldn't be talking and I'm going to shut up now.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
As long as they are really subtle about it and not have the protagonist be a walking stereotype, I fully support this. It's nice that some games even include homosexual characters in the first place, but if they are there purely for comic relief or some wow/surprise factor, it kinda ruins it for me. I still love Joachim though.

Gender/sexuality is one of those things I consider a secondary (maybe even tertiary) trait. Meaning, oh you're straight? bi? gay? That's nice, moving on! There's a plethora of other human characteristics that define one's personality, so if one were to create a homosexual protagonist, I just hope that the protagonist's gender/sexuality takes a backseat to some of the more interesting personality characteristics that could be addressed.

it can be more complex than you make it out to be.

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
I think making a game that focuses primarily on the protagonist's homosexuality and things associated with that (gay discrimination, rights, identity issues, whatever) would be really, really interesting and progressive for video gaming, but sadly I don't think the world is ready for that just yet.

theres already some anime like this so it cant be that far away.

ďNormal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.Ē
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »

Let's pretend that the gargoyle/human conflict in Ultima 6 and 7 was a parable for gays vs. straights, also because there aren't any female gargoyles.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 10:43:29 AM »

I never said gender/sexual orientation/whatever is not complex. Of course it is. I'm just saying, personally for me, I look for other personality traits in people.

Being a gay person, I just get slightly irritated when LGBTQ people are attention whores about their orientation and have to let the whole world know about it. I know a LOT of people like this. I get even more irritated when they define themselves solely based upon their orientation, as if this is all they have to offer. I kinda understand why a lot of gay people are flamboyant with the way they act given the history of gays that have had to hide their sexual orientation from everyone at the risk of getting discriminated or hurt. But sometimes when I see a queeny flaming gay at the club strutting by, it's just a huge turn off and it's like... ugh, just stop.

I guess an ideal world for me would be one in which nobody gave a damn about sexual orientation anymore, that gay/bi/straight/tran/genderfuck/queer were all accepted and tolerated in society with attention being focused on other social issues.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

See, thatís exactly how Iíd want to see a homosexual protagonist represented in an RPG. No controversy, not big flashlight on the subject, itís just a dude/chick who wants to save the world and just so happens to be attracted to members of the same sex. Itís there, itís a part of their personality, but itís not the single most defining aspect of that character.

But thatís just me.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: