Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 01:35:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330205 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs and Homosexuality
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: RPGs and Homosexuality  (Read 15511 times)
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »

I'm curious: how many RPGs, or video games in general, actually, have dealt with homosexuality? In particular, how many have included gay characters? I've yet to see a game with a gay protagonist, and I think it would be something interesting and compelling to see in a game. Some may argue that video games should reamain clear of real world issues, but I say there's nothing wrong with commenting on the human condition. It's called theme.

I believe Persona 2: Innocent Sin had a gay character, but this could be myth. A couple of Bioware's games have had gay characters, or potentially homosexual encounters. The Shadow Hearts series has some homosexuality.

Are there any more?
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »

Supposedly Brad in Wild ARMs 2...

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:08:49 PM »

The first (English) GBA Fire Emblem, had Raven and Lucius thought it might involve reading a little into their supports (also recalling that yes, Lucius is MALE, albeit with childbearing hips XD) but they were a little more...obvious in the Japanese version.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:35:30 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"

Speaking of which, one of the male characters that'd qualify became female in the US version. :S  In the case of an openly gay protagonist, Enchanted Arms qualifies, and is enough reason I'd suggest why it's probably for the best that jRPGs usually shy away from the topic.  

I think it's an interesting topic to cover, but only when dealt with maturely, which has been rather rare in general in Japanese culture.  Most of the gay characters I've seen in anime reflect the ridiculous stereotype shown in Enchanted Arms, for example.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »

I don't know if I'd want it, honestly. I can't really think of any way it would come up unless a love story was involved or the game relied on a bunch of stereotypes, and most love stories in RPGs are really poorly written.

anyway, some examples off the top of my head.

Jun in Innocent Sin could be gay (by extention, so could the main character) depending on what you did.

Something like half of the females in SaGa Frontier were lesbians.

You can have gay sex with brothel dudes in Ultima 7. I wouldn't say the Avatar is GAY exactly, but it's handled tastefully, in any case.

Fallout 2 also had lesbians but the handling of the subject was so... retarded that it doesn't really deserve mentioning (HOORAY LESBIANS! BOO GAY DUDES!) and I'm only bringing it up for completeness' sake.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:05:12 AM »

I think it could be brought up intelligently and without stereotypes. I mean, a gay protagonist could be "pretty" looking or whatever, but if a romance was present, it could be mature. I think that would be a really fresh idea.

I didn't know about Enchanted Arms, as that's one I haven't been able to play yet. Unfortunately, if stereotypes are used, it's probably a bad thing.

There are some games in which you can choose to romance and be gay, such as Fable, and Innocent Sin, evidently.

I don't think the inclusion of lesbians and not gay men is necessarily narrowminded. It could have simply been more appropriate to include one and not the other. There are plenty of times when gay men are included and lesbians aren't.

I think game companies shy away from it for popularity's sake. How many people would narrow-mindedly boycott a "gay RPG"?
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:50:32 AM »

Mother 3 comes to mind. The Magypsies are these men who dress like women but appear to have facial hair and masculine figures.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 01:29:48 AM »

Does the one Star of Destiny in each Suikoden count?  Dunno all of their names, but they favor the Rose Broach.
They seem to be kinda flaming,  but act more as a comedy relief, if that says anything awkward.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 01:41:57 AM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"

I found no real evidence that Brad was at all gay in WA2.  Now Caina, in the japanese version, was gay for Vinsfeld.  They changed him into a woman in the US version.

The only other character that comes to mind at the moment is Hiiragi, one of the Moon Tree leaders from .hack//GU.  Quite clearly male (at least the PC was) and quite clearly gay for Sakaki.

As for homosexuality in RPGs in general, it could be done quite well if handled maturely and intelligently and not for shock value ala OMFGhe/shesgay!

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 02:17:34 AM »

Donald and Goofy in Kingdom Hearts?

I understand that Zelos from ToS is far from a homo, but he looks like one. Seriously, when I first saw the cover of Tales of Symphonia I was folled and I thought Zelos was a girl.

I also think Elliot from Legaia 2 looks close to a homo. Do you see the way he dresses!?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 02:29:26 AM »

Quote from: "DM Kyle E. Miller"
I didn't know about Enchanted Arms, as that's one I haven't been able to play yet. Unfortunately, if stereotypes are used, it's probably a bad thing.

Well, there's a group of three schoolboys. One is the protagonist, who just seems completely asexual (he acts as though he doesn't want ANY romance whatsoever). Then there's a second guy who is really intelligent and dark, possibly gay. And THEN there's this third guy who is just out there flamboyantly gay and openly talks about how he loves the second guy (he also hits on you, the protagonist, a fair bit).

Code:
BUT -- that third guy who fits the Big Gay Al "I'm super thanks for asking" stereotype puts on a mask and becomes a very strong, masculine, and confident character...and he kicks ass.

My personal opinion is that Enchanted Arms does the "gay stereotypes" intentionally to sort of get it out of the way (out of the player's system, have a good laugh), and then go BEYOND that and present some more believable material.

IMO, it's better than having gay biker/shopkeeps (*cough* Shadow Hearts FTNW).

I'd recommend you try out Enchanted Arms, Kyle. :)

Ramza

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 02:45:26 AM »

I think it could be brought up intelligently and without stereotypes.

I always liked Fred Lo from the anime Outlaw Star. He might have been a little flamboyant but it wasn't over the top. Mostly he seemed pretty normal. I could definately see more characters like him in RPGs.

As far as main protagonists go I prefer heterosexual leads, just because that's what I am and that's what I can relate to. And isn't that what we usually want in a character? Someone we can relate to? On the other hand, just for the sake of being different I would like to see an RPG with a homosexual lead character. I wouldn't want it to be a huge part of the story. Just give me some likable characters that happen to be homosexual.

Also, if we're going to do it I think it has to be dudes. A girl-girl romance would be too easy, not to mention it's already been done in other games.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 04:09:39 AM »

The salesmen in shadow hearts covenant are the only ones that come to mind.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 05:15:16 AM »

Oh dear. Speaking of RPG homosexuals, I came across this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIX3WeJWSeg

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 05:45:20 AM »

Quote from: "CDFN"
The salesmen in shadow hearts covenant are the only ones that come to mind.

Oh geez!  I can't believe I forgot about those two.  They made shopping in that game fun!  Not to mention the masseuse from the first SH game.

Also, if we're going to do it I think it has to be dudes. A girl-girl romance would be too easy, not to mention it's already been done in other games.

I am intrigued by this.  Care to share a few examples?

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: