Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 07:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340892 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Metal Gear Solid 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 4  (Read 19656 times)
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »

Finally finished the game and it was great. No more Metal Gear Solid secrets, some revelations were ridiculous and others great.
MGS4 is tied with MGS3 for my favourite MGS game.

If you weren't a fan of the series already, I don't really see this one to change your mind. It's pretty much the same, lots of lengthy cut-scenes, controls that require the use of all your buttons, I mean come on it's MGS. They did improve on the controls somewhat, the enemy's A.I. not so much.
But saying the gameplay lacks, I don't agree. MGS lets you do lots of things. You can approach the battlefield/levels in different ways, go stealthy, go rambo-style, hell CQC every soldier if you want, it's all possible. The game comes with so many different guns and gadgets to toy around with, it's hours of fun.  
Sure some of you will say, meh the controls suck too much, Uncharted or R&C plays smoother.  Well duh, Uncharted only has you running around taking cover, shooting bad guys. R&C is  pretty much standard platforming and shooting. I don't see them offering tons of different moves, that MGS clearly offers, which unfortunately requires a control set with a learning curve.
Uncharted and R&C are great games, but saying their gameplay shadows MGS's, no. Sure because of the amount of lengthy cut-scenes (and god this game had lots of it) it may seem short on actual gameplay, but are actually as lengthy as Uncharted and R&C. Kojima Productions just don't know how to fucking pace the story cut-scenes.

It felt to me like Hideo Kojima made this game for the fans and they will enjoy it the most. I certainly did. For the others well some will like it, some won't.

Who cares?

MGS4 is all done, now we're all waiting for FFXIII =P.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »

Let me give you another angle: Call of Duty 4's sneaking/sniping segment was directed better than any sneaking gameplay segment Metal Gear Solid 4 offered.  And if I wanted to go Rambo style, again, Metal Gear Solid 4 falls short in comparison to numerous other titles.  When you fight bosses, you are reduced to dealing with this clunky 3rd person shooter interface.  I can't blind fire in the direction I'm running.  Why?  Look at that Square button... it is relatively unused for the grand majority of the game.  Setting the button for toggling auto-aim?  Really?  Come on.  In fact, MGS4 should have taken inspiration from Call of Duty 4 for the controls.

To be frank, the highlight of the entire game for me was...

Code:
...the motorcycle ride in Act 3, because it combined cinema with actual gameplay.  I didn't have to deal with a half-assed cover system, and could concentrate on shooting things while feeling extremely badass the entire time.  Seriously, that sequence had me grinning ear to ear.  I just wish the rest of the game had been given that degree of gameplay/cinematic integration.  The final fight involving Liquid comes to mind, in which Metal Gear Solid 4 became one of the shittiest fighting games ever.  Dramatic and pretty to be sure, but it handled like utter garbage.

Anyways, I'm glad to have experienced MGS4, but it's not a game I intend to replay anytime soon.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
I can't blind fire in the direction I'm running.  Why?

Amusingly I'd say the aiming system's an improvement over the prior games, where they replaced the old free firing with the aiming system. Only way to aim in MGS2/3/Twin Snakes was to do it via first person.

I'd consider the gameplay an 8 perhaps, 9 if factoring in online. I enjoyed it but I was disappointed at how key gameplay elements were more or less entirely dropped starting with Act 3, though that had plenty of nice set pieces afterwards. Kinda reminds me of how I was blown away by the original MGS's story and all, but kinda disappointed the actual game was kinda small. Only MGS3 gave me enough gameplay to leave me satisfied and is arguably the best entry in the whole series.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »

Time for some sales numbers :P.

Enterbrain(JP) reported 476,334 first week sales for MGS4 in Japan. It`s already the highest selling PS3 game in Japan and the second fastest selling MGS game to date(again, for Japan) - ahead of MGS1 and MGS2, but slightly behind MGS3. PS3 hardware sales in Japan for the week are at 77,208(up from around 9,500 the week before). These sales are especially impressive if you consider that the standard edition of MGS4 has the recommended retail price of 8,800 yen which is a lot more than what other PS3 games(even major releases like DMC4 and Ryu ga Gotoku: Kenzan) cost upon their release(usually around 7,700 yen).

MGS4 also currently tops all of the European software charts. It`s tied with GTAIV for the fastest selling PS3 game ever and trails ahead of Gran Turismo 5: Prologue(which FYI already sold 1,6+ million copies in Europe).

We won`t know the US numbers until the next NPD report though, but I think they`d be just as impressive.

Taking all of the above into account, I think it`s safe to assume that MGS4 did at least 2 million in sales in just one week. That`s definitely good news for Kojima and company. They deserve every one of those sales. I`m on my second playthrough already and I still can`t believe just how insanely good this game is.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »

impressive indeed

considering that they needed to sell more than a million to recoup development costs:
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/metal-gear-solid-4-needs-to-sell-one-million-at-release-to-meet-production-costs-/18682
this is indeed good news for kojima and co.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

Check this out, tomorrow (June 19th) they are releasing a Metal Gear Database on PSN.  It sounds pretty cool and might help to clear up a lot of confusion.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/18/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-database-on-the-way/

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:16 PM »

Finished the game.

Great big meh at the ending. Heaps of unnecessary exposition, most of which was simply a rehash of info that was spoon fed to the player earlier.

It's almost up there with MGS2 for considering its audience brain dead.

Overall my second favorite MGS. MGS3 is leagues better, but 4 has some really inspired moments. It's still a disappointment, but just barely. An excellent game, either way.

[/url]
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2008, 02:54:17 AM »

I really didn't like MGS3 as much as the others. Although it is the best MGS gameplay can get, I felt the story was pretty lame and I felt no connection to any of the characters, friend or foe.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2008, 08:49:03 AM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
I really didn't like MGS3 as much as the others. Although it is the best MGS gameplay can get, I felt the story was pretty lame and I felt no connection to any of the characters, friend or foe.

I thought it had the best story out of any of them, because it was so simple. The other games have info overload to fit in all these details that really don't matter very much. 3 had very little of that in comparison.

One big issue I had with both 3 and 4 was how the bosses were just glanced over. 1 and 2 had bosses that were integral to the plot, while 3 and 4's were just there to get in your way. The fights were still cool, but they just seemed like uninvolved characters.

[/url]
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »

MGS2 is my favorite installment in the series.  Yup, I'm a weird one. :P

Regardless of the epic cutscenes (I loved Xenosaga, so hey, this sounds right up my alley) I'll be picking up a PS3 + MGS4 in about two months, once I'm back in the States.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2008, 10:54:34 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
MGS2 is my favorite installment in the series.  Yup, I'm a weird one. :P

Regardless of the epic cutscenes (I loved Xenosaga, so hey, this sounds right up my alley) I'll be picking up a PS3 + MGS4 in about two months, once I'm back in the States.

You're not alone! Well, sort of. MGS2 was my favorite until MGS4 came out.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »

So I beat the game, and to be quite honest, I was kinda disappointed with the length of the ending. It's entirely possible that the final movies reached a total of 90 minutes, but they certainly didn't feel that long, and I really appreciated that the appropriate amount of time was taken to give the series a proper send off. For all the general community outrage over watching a movie in a game, I expected something a bit lengthier. Still a fantastic game though.
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

MGS3 hardly had a simple plot-- it was a meditation on circumstance and context. Naked Snake and Solid Snake are essentially the same, right? Look how different they turned out based on the context of the events surrounding theme. I thought it was pretty brilliant in it's own way.

MGS2 was quite a bit more meditative but the delivery was so obtuse in places that it just turned everyone off, but I think it's got a pretty vital bead on elements of gaming/ (four letter word time) postermodern culture.

Interesting discussion thus far.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

Yahtzee pretty much says a lot of the same things I mentioned earlier.  Let the apologists spew their rancid bile in 3... 2... 1...
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2008, 06:13:24 PM »

As much as I disagree with him, that review was still hilarious. I loved the part with the kid at the comp going "omgomgomgomg".

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: