Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 03:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329473 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man's Library
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man's Library  (Read 3540 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:50:37 PM »

Link.

Comments? I've read less than I'd like, though I've got a few laying around to read sometime.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »

It's hard to argue with that list.  If we're talking about manly shit though, there definitely needs to be some Robert E. Howard.  I guess a little Tarzan and a little Allan Quartermain make up for that exclusion well enough.

I especially give the thumbs up to the inclusion of "Cyrano de Bergerac".  More people need to read that.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »

I've read about 17 or 18 on that list, and none were of my own volition.  I take pride in my illiteracy.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:18:24 AM »

Most books on the list were things read in high school. Which is I imagine the worst time to read them. At least early highschool, 16-18 you get a bit more receptive. But you're 14 and have to read The Great Gatsby it just isn't going to do anything for you. Now I don't remember a thing about the book. And I know that's because it's either too much for a 14 year old or that it's simply not something that a 14 year old really cares to read.

Now I do remember Brave New World. Hated, but respected it. Hated it because it was way to focused on it's own theme, a theme you already knew before you read the book if you've ever watched any science fiction. The result of a book about a utopian future where man didn't have any heart, yet the book itself didn't have any heart as it was too focused on itself. Yet it needs respected because the sci fi you've seen that used the theme got the theme from this book in the first place. I'm sure if it were 1930(Give or take 15 years, whenever it was made) and I read it then it would have been a hell of a lot better.
AdolChristin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »

I'm proud to say I've either read, or at least own, the majority of the works of fiction on that list. I'm a bit troubled by the lack of Tolstoy though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:26:01 PM by AdolChristin » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: