Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332818 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  LCD vs. Plasma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LCD vs. Plasma  (Read 2949 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »

I've been hearing that there are differences with the two different types of HD tv's when playing games (one of them can lag etc..) so I was wondering if anyone had any idea which one is better to play games on (i.e. PS3/360 with HD cables). I want to get a new tv sometime soon.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »

I like how my small LCD TV looks, and I hear Plasma CAN have burn in (though it's dramatically reduced compared to earlier on) plus it hogs up more power.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:25:26 AM »

LCD is the way to go.  The issues Plasma had have been reduced, but LCD's still a better choice.  Burn-in and cost are the most easy to cite, but I believe there are refreshing issues as well - if something's not refreshing fast enough, you get blur.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »

Actually, I can answer this quite well.

Firstly, Tooker you have that backwards.  LCD's blur.  Plasmas do not and will never blur.  Also plasmas are around the same price as LCDs.

I just bought a plasma for gaming (Panasonic's TH42PX80U for $850 -- but I was lucky to get a good deal.  You normally should pay around $1k.) and it's a fan-fucking-tastic plasma for gaming.  The Panasonic models are great for gaming.  The 2008 LG models I hear are pretty good (2007 are trash).  Samsung isn't too shabby either.  Pioneer has the best models, but you're going to pay a lot of money for one of those, so Pioneer probably isn't your best bet if you want the best bang for your buck (if you do, I'd consider buying what I bought).

The new plasmas coming out are great, the problem is, there is a lot of misinformation going around about them.  Some of the myths going around, used to be true, but are not anymore (like burn-in).

Myth:  Plasmas have a limited life span.
Fact:  Current plasmas last pretty much as long as LCD's do.  You could watch a plasma 4 hours a day, every day, and most would last for 40 years.

Myth:  Plasmas suck up a lot of energy.
Fact:  Many plasmas are now energy star compliant, and do not use all that much more energy compared to LCDs.

Myth:  Plasmas will burn in.  That beautiful radar in the bottom of the screen will permanently etch into your screen!
Fact:  While there is some merit to this myth, it's pretty exaggerated.  Current plasmas are quite resilient to burn in.  Most plasmas have an anti-image retention mode which will ever-so-slightly shift pixels that haven't moved too much in the past few minutes to help ease burn-in.  Burn in, on my Panasonic set, is said to occur around 10+ hours of a static image on the screen.  So, if you like to leave CNN/ESPN/MSNBC on for long periods of time (10+ hours) or you play games where there is a single image (like a radar) that is on the screen for many hours, then going LCD is a better choice.  Though, in normal playing and viewing circumstances, this is not an issue.

What could be an issue is something called Image Retention (or IR for short).  IR is when you play a game with like a radar or something for awhile and when you turn it off or go to switch back to regular TV, you might see the faint image of the radar still on your screen.  This is usually only seen on a completely blank input (black screen), dark room, and your face 1 foot away from the screen.  This is completely normal, 100% reversible, and may not even happen much anymore after you break your TV in.  IR generally cannot even be seen once you switch back to a TV station or put in a new game.  On a normal, resilient screen, that image would be washed away pretty fast.  If it doesn't, it's probably a faulty panel which is covered under warranty anyway.  When you first buy a Plasma, there is something called a break-in period.  Which means, the first 100-200 hours of viewing the TV, you want the brightness and contrast (contrast  is called picture on a panasonic set) a little bit lower than normal (40%-ish) if you're playing something with a static image (generally on RPGs, there's not much to worry about since the transitions between battles, towns, etc would be enough to vary the content up for a bit).  If you're playing a game without any static images, like NHL08 without the scoreboard on, I doubt it matters what settings you use.  If you're truly that concerned about it, whenever you get up to get a drink or take a piss, flip on a tv show with a full screen image until you get back.  That would be enough to undue 90% of whatever IR you may or may not have accumulated.  I was worried about it at first but I've had Zero problems with IR and I'm not even done with the break-in period.  After that, feel free to crank up the settings (as long as it's not in torch mode aka 90% brightness/contrast, you'll be fine).

Honestly I personally will always buy plasma over lcd until the next generation of hdtv's come out (oled or whatever).  Most (aware, knowledgeable) plasma owners would say the same thing.

Hope this was useful.

edit:  Just to clarify, if you're playing a game without any static images, like NHL08 without the scoreboard on or most RPGs, I doubt it matters what settings you use even if you haven't broken in the TV very much.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »

Also the size you're looking for plays a big part in which you should go for.  If it's 35 inches or smaller, LCD is probably the way to go. 37" is debatable.

Personally I wanted a bed in my TV room, if you catch my drift.

While not helping you with your plasma or LCD decision, This site can show you the mathematical statistics of your old TV vs your new, prospective TV size wise.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:57:20 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
The new plasmas coming out are great, the problem is, there is a lot of misinformation going around about them.  Some of the myths going around, used to be true, but are not anymore (like burn-in).

Thanks - I haven't looked into it in a really focused way in a while.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 05:31:54 PM »

Well LCD's have been known to have lag when playing rhythm games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Does anyone know anything about this. One of my friends got a new LCD tv and Rock Band was practically unplayable on it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »

For starters, as I understand it upscale lag is pretty much there in EVERY HDTV regardless of type, though LCD has the least. Also, Rock Band should have a setting to adjust lag and I'd be surprised if the PS2 version doesn't support progressive scan. Don't forget to check for a Game Mode setting or whatever, that kills a lot of the upscale lag but not all of it, it's enough for most games and will help with this.

In fact, check this thread out on the various types of TVs and upscale lag.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: