Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:39:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341291 Posts in 13948 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Little Big Planet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Little Big Planet  (Read 14277 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »

From the MTV blog:

'Little Big Planet'

I don’t mean to brag when I say that I had already played “Little Big Planet” a few times before trying out the malleable PlayStation 3 platformer again last week.

Instead, I mean to convince you that I had good reason to think I knew about the coolest stuff in the game. I’d run through levels. I had used the game’s mighty content editor to create all sorts of wild costumes and level props.

And yet I was floored five times during my brief opportunity to play the game with “LBP” technical director Alex Evans. Here’s what impressed me:

1) How Enemies Work — I kept hearing that each new “LBP” press demo would finally reveal the game’s enemies. But in each demo — including the one I went through last week — they were not in there. I asked Evans about this; what he told me made me realize I had been expecting the wrong thing. The developers at Media Molecule aren’t focusing on giving players pre-made enemies.

Instead, Evans said the game will ship with five or six artificial intelligence brains. He wouldn’t tell me what the AI behaviors would be, but explained that a “LBP” user would be able to apply them to their creations in the game’s editor. Whether or not the AI brains will drive your creations effectively depends on your designs. For example… did you put wheels on the giant attack-llama?

2) Gaming’s Most Impressive Screenshot Tool — You can take in-game screenshots in “Little Big Planet.” Hooray. You can then take those screenshots and apply them to objects. That’s actually… promising. While using the game’s content editor I made a few beams and struts. Then I hopped my character on top of them to pose for a screenshot. I took that shot and applied it as a sticker to one of the beams or struts. I had created an optical illusion, my character standing on top of a beam that looked like an image of him standing atop a beam. Think about how you could use this feature to mess with people: making solid walls look like empty space and fooling them to crash right into them.

3) How “LBP” Music Can Turn Levels Into Rhythm Games — “Little Big Planet” users can place sound objects in the levels they create. The object Evans showed me was a little speaker. We were able to attach it to a block that was resting at the beginning of a level we were making. You can assign music that will play from that speaker when a user’s character walks past it. The music from that speaker can be set to play from any point in the track. I proposed an idea to Evans that he said was 100% do-able: I could line a level with speakers, one set up every few steps — and set them all to play the same song, but queued up from different parts. Doing this, I could make it so that if a player ran through my level at a certain pace, he or she would hear the song play perfectly. Running at the wrong pace would cause the player to hear the song play in a choppy fashion.

4) Just Add Water — The game features an impressive content editor. It integrates all its objects within a certain style of calculated physics. Objects teeter and roll with mathematical precision. But there’s one element that’s not in the game yet — liquids. I can’t flood a level with water and watch how that affects everything I generated. Instant non-purchase? No way. Evans told me liquids are possible: “If people want that, we can do it.”

5) The Gifts That You Can Give — Not only can you use “Little Big Planet” to create any imaginable gaming object that would fit in a 2D playing field, but you can also make the blueprints for any such object. Those blueprints — really, the object itself — can be uploaded to other gamers. Better than that: you can make the blueprints a collectible item in the levels you create. Better still: you can associate such objects with leaderboard requirements. So I can challenge the world to score a certain number of points in a level I’ve made and then automatically reward anyone who achieves that mark with a trophy object that I made myself. I wonder what I could force people to receive if they play my level poorly…

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »

New trailer up from Amazon!

Game looks really fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKiWm8od5Kw&eurl=http://www.ps3fanboy.com/

And pre-order goodness.

If you pre-order LittleBigPlanet in North America — and why wouldn't you, really — you're going to get some amazing goodies, according to the official PlayStation blog. Not only do you get exclusive exclusive Kratos Sackboy downloadable content, you'll also get a smashing Nariko from Heavenly Sword Sackboy, a LittleBigPlanet sticker book, the "LittleBigPlanet Creator" MiniGuide by Brady Games and an adorable burlap "LittleBigPouch". No, you're not the only one squealing right now.

Mark Valledor, Marketing Manager at SCEA, implies that this isn't the culmination of LittleBigPlanet pre-order goodness, commenting that a real-life Sackboy is "Definitely in the works". Whether that will be another LBP early adopter bonus remains to be seen.

http://kotaku.com/5033546/kratos-nar...t-pre+orderers

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:10:32 PM »

I'm definitely interested in this. But I often find things like this where you create your own levels etc a little tedious. I'll have to look into it a bit more.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:13:48 PM »

I'm pretty excited.  The enemy AI thing looks great.

But all I care about is preordering so I can get my Nariko SackGirl.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:38:45 AM »

Yay for LittleBigPlanet!!

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:21:43 PM »

New trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXp4ednGYcc

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »

The worlds remind me of this one inky-type game where you can build structures with inky lines.  Can't remember the name of the game, sorry.  It's still in development I'm pretty sure.

I'll be interested to see what people think of the final product of LBP.  People seem excited about it and it's a bit contagious in that it makes me want to buy a PS3 to play it and Disgaea 3.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 11:50:51 PM »

I'm cautiously excited about it. I'm not going to rant and rave about it until I see the finished product.

I'm just putting up info and trailers to try and generate interest.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39576.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39327.html

I broke down and pre-ordered this tonight.

First game I've ever pre-ordered.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 01:18:30 AM »

wait, are you Einhander on the-magicbox forums?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »

Yes. Why?

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 07:55:43 AM »

just wondering
cos at that time, i just read the exact post on the-magicbox, and put 2 and 2 togther (took me awhile :p)

anyway, back to the topic...

do you get a choice on your pre-order bonus?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »

It depends where you order from.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 07:53:30 PM »

So I got in on the LBP beta today. \(^^)/

Stephen Frye narrating is a great idea - some of the patch work visuals give it a real Monty Python animation feeling, especially at the beginning. It's got a very British feel to it overall.

Played two levels, and if I hadn't already pre-ordered, I would be now. Controls are easy to master and it's *fun*.

Quite possibly GOTY for me.

Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »

Got in the beta, am downloading it right now.

Fileplanet is giving away betakeys for european users.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: