Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:04:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319280 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Little Big Planet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Little Big Planet  (Read 13260 times)
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 05:51:10 PM »

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21856

Pretty neat vid.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »

LBP just got delayed because of political correctness.

To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari"), I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:

http://mt14.quickshareit.com/share/preview/soundclip22503c0.wav

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online update, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards,
    NSider

(On behalf of the gamers at True-Gaming.net)

As SCEE vaguely put it, "one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game" is the cause of LittleBigPlanet's -- now worldwide -- delay. So which track is it? Well, the song is "Tapha Niang" from the 2006 album Boulevard de l'Independance by Grammy award-winning Malian kora player Toumani Diabaté (and it's available on iTunes, both Zune and Amazon marketplaces, and we imagine just about any place popular world music is sold). You can even listen to the track in its entirety on Toumani's MySpace page.

From the brief research we've done (um ... Wikipedia), we have yet to find evidence to suggest "Tapha Niang" (or any Toumani Diabaté production for that matter) has been criticized for possible religious offenses prior to today's development. In fact, a profile published by Taipei Times describes Toumani Diabaté as "a devout Muslim, with his own prayer room next to his office."

While the backstory seems to indicate "Tapha Niang" was a tasteful, if not highly regarded selection for LBP's soundtrack, the reality is Sony is beginning a process to remove the song's inclusion from the game. With Church of England's beef still fresh in memory, Sony's no doubt playing this one safe as can be. Sorry SackBoy, but you've been benched.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »

Yeah, this really sucks for people waiting for LBP.  Sadly the game is already sitting stores, but now they're all going to be recalled.  I hope this only delays the game a couple days or a week at most, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »

I've heard Oct 27th and sometime in November. I don't really care. I canceled my pre-order. I'm not paying for censorship.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »

I've heard Oct 27th and sometime in November. I don't really care. I canceled my pre-order. I'm not paying for censorship.

God damn, I don't like this kind of over sensitivity that only a small fraction would notice let alone be angered by, but you're being an idiot in disregarding a game you were otherwise going to get over a few words taken out of a song when it's not significantly harming the game beyond a one week delay.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 07:37:35 PM »

That's...  Awfully silly.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »

yeah, considering the censorship isn't game affecting like something like violence in other games, where its necessary
this is just a theme being censored...
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 07:41:53 PM »

God damn, I don't like this kind of over sensitivity that only a small fraction would notice let alone be angered by, but you're being an idiot in disregarding a game you were otherwise going to get over a few words taken out of a song when it's not significantly harming the game beyond a one week delay.

He was most likely being sarcastic. But if not, holy shit. >_>
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »

Why would I support a company that actively caves to a bunch of religious zealots? What happens next time they don't like something? They come and take the game from my house?

Paying for censorship is just plain stupid.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 10:10:30 PM »

Why would I support a company that actively caves to a bunch of religious zealots? What happens next time they don't like something? They come and take the game from my house?

Paying for censorship is just plain stupid.

How do you know they're religious zealots? Perfectly ordinary people get offended by shit.

Like you.

You're offended by censorship.

LOLZEALOT

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »

You're right, we should be censoring games left and right!

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »

Would that stop you from being a gamer? From coming HERE?

If so, I'm all for it.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 10:30:18 PM »

And your problem with me is?

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 10:42:59 PM »

I think it's hilarious how you and a bunch of other gamers are so worked up over this, calling a section of the Islamic community 'zealots' and shit. As if your HOBBY is more important somehow than their RELIGION.

Buncha hypocritical assholes, you are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: