Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:53:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341041 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Little Big Planet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Little Big Planet  (Read 14255 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 11:00:55 PM »

So if a bunch of hard core Chrisitians had forced Ubisoft to recall Enchanted Arms because it contained what appeared to be a gay character that was offensive to them, that would be okay?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 11:10:51 PM »

I actually planned to hold off for a while and see if Lard would calm down about this, pressing would probably have just made things worse, but Mark's being worse than I would've so...

Look, they probably just licensed out some song they thought sounded good and didn't realize it was potentially offensive when used in this context. If I thought this would critically undermine the game (see: your Enchanted Arms example) or ruin some artistic statement then I'd consider it more worthwhile to boycott or at least remain furious over. But this isn't something worth making a stand over, and if you're going to get upset about each little thing like this then you're better off abandoning all forms of media, if not civilization in and of itself.

Plus if you like the song enough you could get an MP3 of it somehow (Amazon?) then play it along with the stage it was supposed to play in.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 12:19:01 AM »

I just think it's ridiculous that they would pander to one *tiny* vocal group over something this trivial. They didn't pander to the Church of England over the use of the church in Resistance, and neither did MS and Bioware over the sexual content in Mass Effect.

Pandering to *any* group is a slippery slope, because it's just going to lead to more and more groups crying out to censor content. It's happened in books, painting, movies and I don't want to see it happen in games.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 12:35:22 AM »

The Resistance bit was stupid, and SCE probably shouldn't have given them as much ground as they had, but this is extremely minor and unlike examples like Resistance or Loco Roco some of these potentially offended people are volitile enough to be a real problem.

Also, gaming's still going to have to go through growing pains before it can become popularly appreciated to head off controvery better. Just as long as it doesn't go into the rut that comics did we'll probably be fine.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »

I had actually forgotten about Loco Roco. The issue I have is that bending once sets a precedent that you'll bend again...and again for any loudmouth who wants to complain about content. And by that point we'll already be in EC Comics territory.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 12:55:01 AM »

Dang it, Iím annoyed by this. Not because I have to wait another week to play a game, itís just that the Australian release date worked perfectly for my brotherís birthday. Now I have no idea when it will release down here, and regardless, I donít think Iíll be able to get it to him on time.

Iím pretty sure this is the first game Iíve ever actually preordered too. I just wanted a guarantee of him getting to play this on his birthday.

le sigh

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 12:57:26 AM »

Well, we already had this bending back with Ocarina of Time and it doesn't seem to be progressing further. Then again this might be the first big, well publicized occurance of this. I never even knew OoT removed it until a few years back, and not enough gave a fuck about the other two (for better or worse).

Oh wow AJR's post stirs up those feelings of irritation of where something going perfectly gets fucked up for completely stupid reasons.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 01:02:29 AM »

Almost forgot about the Zack & Wiki controversy as well....I don't like the slope this is careening down.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 04:01:27 AM »

ok, i see your point Lard

fuck you man - now i'm caring about censorship in games... gah!
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 09:09:46 AM »

I don't like the slope this is careening down.

Fuck, you're absolutely right.  Honest to God...  I think this is what's going to cause the current generation to crash.  Pandering to Allah is going to mean one thing: Game development is going to move to the Middle East.

MASIH AD-DAJJAL'S DONKEY IS THE PSTRIPPLE.

It walks backwards, the PS3 is (usually [sometimes {occasionally}]) backwards compatible: Proof of what Lard's saying.

THE END IS NIGH, GAMING IS DEAD.  IT'S SLIDING DOWN THE SLOPE INTO HELL.

oh god someone save me from iblis can my 70 virgins be men

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »

He's being satirical and sarcastic, just in case anyone got the wrong idea.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »

oh god someone save me from iblis can my 70 virgins be men

That made laugh pretty hard. :P

The UK release date's been delayed to November '08 which I'm a little annoyed about because that means it won't be out during my half-term holidays. Ah, well. I guess it's kinda considerate of them to avoid the whole religious controversy.

:-/

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 12:46:26 PM »

satirical and sarcastic

I'm always 100% serious!  I don't even know what those words mean!!!

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 03:24:46 PM »

Hmm.  This makes me wonder if Persona 4 will get here unscathed.  Hopefully no one picks up on it till after the game is released.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »

Losfer - if you're honestly comfortable with religious people telling you what you can and can't do, then more power to you.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: