Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 01:52:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327201 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Resident Evil 5
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Resident Evil 5  (Read 4150 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=5973

I don't think I like this idea. It's hard to get scared when you are with someone, and the reason I like this series is because it is scary. If they go even more action oriented than RE4, I may give up on the horror end and just play it with the lights on and with some friends over. For now though, I still have hope that I can turn out all the lights and crank the sound up and be scared to death (I love it like that).

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »

Dude, did you even play Resident Evil 4?  Half the game you had another person with you and one of the scariest/most helpless moments involves a different character.  Now if this were EA saying this, I'd agree with you.  But it's Capcom and it's their main series, they know what they are doing.  EA would just throw in the 2nd character in order to allow the coop online gaming (kinda like Army of Two), but Capcom is almost certainly going to have that character there for a reason (read the newest Game Informer if you want some more details) and it's going to add to the gameplay of the game.  And also give them an excuse for full, online Co-Op.  How can this possibly be a bad thing for the Resident Evil series, given they have already proven they are quite capable of this gimmick?

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »

I've beaten RE4 multiple times on different systems, and Ashley was never playable at the SAME TIME Leon was. Thats where I see the problem with RE5.

Also, there's more news: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6191516.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Freakin sweet!

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:31:07 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
I've beaten RE4 multiple times on different systems, and Ashley was never playable at the SAME TIME Leon was. Thats where I see the problem with RE5.

Wait, what?  You're still making absolutely no sense to me.  Since the AI controls that person in single player how does that even affect the single player game at all?  As that article suggests, it's basically just to be able to tout the co-op, which once again I have no idea how that is going to take -away- from RE5.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Quote from: "Blace"

Wait, what?  You're still making absolutely no sense to me.  Since the AI controls that person in single player how does that even affect the single player game at all?  As that article suggests, it's basically just to be able to tout the co-op, which once again I have no idea how that is going to take -away- from RE5.

I was saying that if they are making it with co-op in mind, then they might do what Army of Two did and make it to where if you play it by yourself it is MUCH worse than playing it with someone else. That and I simply could not get scared if someone was next to me or talking to me over Xbox live while the game was going on, and thats not what I want.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:31 PM »

Well, since all of the footage shown so far (as far as I know) has been single player without a second character in sight, I donít think it will be co-op centric. If it is going to be co-op (which Iím not sure I believe yet) then it will be entirely optional. I donít think youíre going to be spending your time ordering around an AI friend, or doing 2 person maneuvers to advance.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »

Read in several places that this is going to be out *fiscal* year 2008, which means we will probably see it in Feb/March like we did with DMC4.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 04:59:48 AM »

new trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=18&ch=3&sd=1

the series has lost the horror...
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 05:21:33 AM »

It looks more horrifying than RE4, thatís for sure.

And in my mind, the series was never that scary.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 06:03:01 AM »

Quote from: "calintz"

Same gameplay mechanics - check
Same behavioral model for enemies - check
Reused enemy animations - check
Las Plagas-esque looking thingies - check
Knife as a secondary weapon - check
Chainsaw man with a sack mask - check
Shinji Mikami as a game director - missing

No buy for me. Seriously, what an embarassment. That looks like RE4 HD Edition.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »

I might as well try it. RE has never been really that scary (then again, what game has truly scared you? From Fatal Frame to Silent Hill, video games aren't scary, nor is any media, it's all about the dark atmosphere that's awesome), but this looks decent. Jonathan's right though, it does look surprisingly like RE4 HD edition. It would be great if Capcom went back to the style they had in REmake for their next games, except with the control scheme they have now. But, I doubt that'll happen.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 08:43:03 AM »

Hey, even if it is "more of the same" RE4 is still one of the best action games around.  I mean would it be different if it was just zombies again?  Its not like the RE series hasn't reused shit over and over.  What matters is if the storyline and how its incorporated is done in a fine fashion or not.  Now, assuming they can make this at least on par with 4, this will be an amazing game.  

And like Jet said, games are more about atmosphere than horror nowadays anyways.  And honestly, I find being attacked by a horde of parasite infested fast and intelligent people than a horde of slow moving zombies much more scary.  I guess its just what your definition of what "Horror" is.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan Ingram"
Quote from: "calintz"

Same gameplay mechanics - check
Same behavioral model for enemies - check
Reused enemy animations - check
Las Plagas-esque looking thingies - check
Knife as a secondary weapon - check
Chainsaw man with a sack mask - check
Shinji Mikami as a game director - missing

No buy for me. Seriously, what an embarassment. That looks like RE4 HD Edition.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I didn't really enjoy RE4, but with new iterations of Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill and Fatal Frame all coming out this year, there's enough horror to go around.

Quote from: "Jet16"
I might as well try it. RE has never been really that scary (then again, what game has truly scared you?

The first Fatal Frame actually creeped the hell out of me when I played it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Spoiled Luigi

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 07:55:19 PM »

Speaking of which, I haven't heard from Mr Mikami in quite some time, where is he?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »

Quote from: "Spoiled Luigi"
Speaking of which, I haven't heard from Mr Mikami in quite some time, where is he?

Platinum games.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: