Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:56:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PS3 or Xbox 360?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: PS3 or Xbox 360?  (Read 8710 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »

Quote from: "Esper_Crusader"
I would side with the "get both" people on this one. Regardless of which console you get you're still going to be missing out on great exlcusive games, RPG or not.  Personally, i'm looking forward to Fallout 3 at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's going to both consoles though.

I have a 360 and i'm quite happy with the library but I'm going to have to get a PS3 eventually once FFXIII and God of War 3 hit the shelves. I was never a Metal Gear nut but that's a big selling point for some.  I heard a nasty rumor of 90 minute cutscene in MGS4 the other day.  I suppose some people would be down for that but not me. I always found those games kinda preachy..

We already discussed that 90 min cutscene in the MGS4 forum, and it is absolutely false.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
It's the same with the DS, although it's a great system and has dominant sales the graphical power (the resolution specifically) just isn't enough of an improvement.

If that was important the PSP would be the dominating handheld for RPGs rather than having half of its library composed of ports/updates.

Robert made a good point about the sales though, checking and comparing for the same duration in America/Japan shows them being practically equal, and it very well could be the DVD angle that pushed the PS2 like the casual angle is for the Wii. The 360 and PS3 are definitely more hardcore systems, and they'll be where you have to go for stuff like FFXIII but there's enough of a hardcore base on the Wii that they should be able to put out games on it and do fairly well.

Ofcourse there's the perceptions that developers/publishers have for each system's target base that could get in the way of things.
DarkSageRK
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"

Actually, the Wii is dominating this generation to almost the exact same degree that the PS2 dominated the last generation if you look at the sales figures over time.  True, the DS is selling even better than that (the fact that it's a cheap portable system that's been out for longer doesn't hurt), but I still stand by my belief that with a few more years, the Wii's library of any genre of your choice is going to be filled with tons of quality for the simple reason that the Wii will have more marketshare than the PS3 & 360 combined and developers and publishers like to release games on the dominant platform (see the PS1 & PS2's success).

I wouldn't say that's true. Its marketshare comes from its appeal to people who aren't gamers. They see it as a minor time-waster/exercise system. Most of the owners of the Wii aren't gamers.

See: Poor attachment rate of games.

As for publishers, if you're not Nintendo, you're not going to achieve MASSIVE success on the Wii unless you only go towards casual games. And if the game market becomes a casual game market, I don't think anyone (with taste) will be happy.

Before you ask, of the three current-gen gaming consoles, I only own a Wii.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 07:54:17 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Quote from: "DM Kyle E. Miller"
I'd say Xbox for sure. There are already numerous RPGs both Western and Eastern for the system, and there are plenty more to come. The PS3 might be getting some in the future, but then maybe you'll have enough money to afford one (once they lower the ridiculous price).

the 40GB PS3 is $50 more than the Xbox 360 Pro; for that cost, the consumer gets:

Wireless internet built in ($100 extra on Xbox 360)
Rechargable batteries built-in to the controller ($20/controller for Xbox 360)
Blu-ray (Equivalent before death of HD-DVD, $180 on Xbox 360)
Free Online Service ($8/mo or $50/yr on Xbox 360)

I will say that there are a couple of things that you get with the 360 bundle that are not included with the PS3, most notably:

Component Cables ($25 extra on PS3)
Wired Headset ($20-30 extra on PS3)

Are you seriously saying that the $50 difference in hardware is outrageous in comparison to the amount of addons for the Xbox 360?  

Considering you can get a HDMI cable for 6 dollars and HDMI>Component, I don't know if that's really a plus for the 360.  The inclusion of wireless adapter is a huge plus to me, considering at the moment, getting my 360 online without a wireless adapter means running wires across the room (which right now, is not an option).  It's an inclusion that's something to think about.  Not to mention, you could buy the cheapest PS3 and switch out the hard drive yourself (very easy and doesn't void any warranties).  Yeah, you lose backward compatibility, but that's a small price to pay (for me).

It's also worth keeping in mind that the 360 has sold substantially more consoles in the US which means that a higher percentage of the JRPGs for the system are likely to get released in the US. We can already see this in the fact that Atlus has 3 Strategy/RPGs scheduled to be released in the US for the 360 this year and zero titles for the PS3 at the moment.

Isn't Atlus releasing Nippon Ichi's Disgaea 3 for ps3?

Not to mention, Spectral Force 3 for the 360 looks like shit overall. Nothing more than a generic anime SRPG.  Even if Disgaea 3 is not included, the other two RPGs being released don't look that promising.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »

Lots of miscellaneous responses in this post:

#1 - Plenty of hardcore gamers own the Wii.  Heck, I seem to remember hearing a survey result that said that the % of Wii owners who had owned a previous game system was around 80-90%.  Sure, there's plenty of shovelware on the system (but what highly successful system doesn't have a ton of shovelware?), but when a good game shows up on the system, it tends to sell well: the 2 Resident Evil games (both with over 1 million sales each), Trauma Center (Atlus USA's best selling title to date), etc... not to mention the insane sales of Nintendo games that appeal to both casual and hardcore players (Brawl, Galaxy, Kart).  Rather than say that the Wii is a casual system (it isn't), I think it would be more accurate to say that it's a family system as it has games that appeal to both casual players and hardcore gamers: my wife & 7-year old daughter both play the Wii substantially more than they play the 360 or the PS2.

#2 - The 360 vs PS3 debate on which is the better value can really go either way depending on what you value.  On the 360's side, you get a cheaper overall price, necessary cables, a headset (which means that pretty much every 360 owner online has one which is nice), and backwards compatibility on all hard drive equipped systems.  On the PS3's side, you get Blu-Ray and built-in wireless.  In the end, it's a personal call: Blu-Ray & wireless don't matter to me so I favor the 360 but I can definitely see how many people would value the PS3's feature set more.

#3 - Atlus isn't releasing Disgaea 3 in the US unless I'm mistaken.  If it does come out in the US (pretty likely), NIS America will no doubt release it.  To date, Atlus has yet to announce a single US PS3 title, but they have announced 3 360 titles.

#4 - Even if each system has a somewhat different demographic of owners - say, 360:Hardcore gamers, PS3: Media enthusiasts, Wii: Casual gamers - I can't imagine it's enough of a difference to make up for the humongous install base difference that it looks like the Wii will have by the end of this generation.  I mean, the PS2 didn't have an unusually large percentage of hardcore gamers in its install base, but games for the dedicated gamer still sold extremely well on the system since there were so many PS2s out there.

#5 - Attach rate is a deceptive thing.  By its very nature, more console sales results in lower attach rate.  Or to put it another way, the Wii's attach rate isn't particularly bad; it just looks bad compared to the 360's unusually high rate.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04:08 PM »

I think in theory a low attach rate can also equate to a very broad audience. I remember hearing about how GTA:VC had one of the highest attach rates for the PS2 but it wound up being 10-20% maybe? Also Disgaea 3 was announced for August back in late Feburary so that's settled.

Something I really should've brought up for the value of the X360/PS3 earlier, but that can really change depending on what you actually get and where. You could, for example, just get rechargeable double AAs and pay less/more for the X360 to have the rough equivalent for the PS3, BUT you'd also be able to use them with the Wii if you have both and the battery packs use NiMH anyway. Also, you could just get a standard wireless receiver for less than Microsoft's preposterously overpriced solution and get around the lack of a HD movie format by renting HD movies. Likewise for the PS3 you can get cables on Monoprice of whatever sort you want, composite aside, and skip the wired headset and get a bluetooth one for about the same price.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 01:57:53 AM »

To the naysayers who don't think the Wii will be a strong RPG platform this generation, I refer to this article: http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

Basically, it says that Nintendo's recent success with the DS & the Wii has been because they've been working from the bottom up or in other words, providing high quality casual games early on with the understanding that many of those casual game fans will gravitate towards more advanced offerings.  You can easily see this with the DS's lifespan: early on in the DS' life, the system was a wasteland for hardcore gaming with titles like Nintendogs and Brain Age being the system's big hits.  Now, the system has and is getting a slew of hardcore games; just look at all the RPGs that are in the works.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: