Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 06:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327268 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PS3 or Xbox 360?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: PS3 or Xbox 360?  (Read 8442 times)
Ace Cronof

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »

I play a lot of rpgs and story driven games.

I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a PS3 or X360.

Which system do you think will rpgs or story driven games like MGS4?

Don't make this topic a console fanboy flame war, thanks.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »

Get both.

At first, I wanted just one console for my RPG needs, but that's just a fantasy. Get both if you can afford it, but if you can only get one, it depends on the games coming out for each system.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:37:06 PM »

DS. There's plenty of RPGs as well as more story driven fare like Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, and I'd presume Jake Hunter. Suda 51's graphic adventures are also getting remade for the DS.

Simply between PS3 and the X360? It's a toss up, but a lot of stuff is multiplatform. Say what kind of stories you want, and maybe an ideal suggestion can be made.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:54:07 PM »

*cough*Helper Monkey*cough*

Especially since this isn't about RPGs. It is about consoles.

Anyway...Get both. There are a lot of games that are on both, but then there are games that aren't.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »

How about none of the above?  If RPGs are the only thing you want, you're still pretty fucked regardless.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 11:29:01 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
How about none of the above?  If RPGs are the only thing you want, you're still pretty fucked regardless.

QFT.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:26:30 AM »

I should note that the PS1 and 2 both took quite awhile to gear up for RPGs. FFVII hit 2 years after the PS1 was out and before that only Wild Arms and Suikoden are worth bothering with (and almost all of Suikoden's sequels have surpassed it anyway), and the PS2 had Okage and FFX after a year, then had a bunch hit in early 2003, over 2 years since that system came out. We're kind of seeing this again with the X360 in getting Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Mass Effect as well as ToV's announcement. The PS3 may be in a similar situation though, Disgaea 3 coming here this fall as well as Valkyria Chronicles.

Outside of RPGs though? I guess the PS3 may edge out simply because of MGS4, most other games (notably Bioshock) are or will be multiplatform anyway.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 12:39:51 AM »

It seems like a pretty simple decision if you're only going to base it on RPG's.  Either you must play the current RPG's released for 360 (Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect being the only 2 worthwhile, imo) or you know you are going to have to play Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII.  I mean that's really what it comes down to, PS3 is going to get more JRPGs (Because it's a Japanese console) and the XB360 is going to get more Western RPG's (because it's a western console...woah).  And then you're going to get the multiplatform stuff like Enchanted Arms.  It's a stupid question anyways, we can't make the decision for you.  Go do some research on upcoming RPG's and see what you like.  Tales of Vesperia, White Knight Chronicles, Disgaea, FF13, Mass Effect 2&3, Too Human are just a few scheduled for the next year or so.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »

Both consoles will have exclusive content as far as JRPGs are concerned.  With other types of games, 360 will have stuff like Theseis, which is a deep adventure by a European developer.  So the 360 may have a good cross-section of worldwide stuff.  

I'm in a similar situation.  Can only afford one new console, and which one to get?  One genre of video game I like as much, if not more than, RPGs is fighting.

So perhaps if you look at other genres of video game you like outside of RPGs and graphic adventures, that will make things clearer and help you come to a more solid decision.

I approve of this nonsense!
Ace Cronof

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 01:18:51 PM »

Sorry about posting in the wrong section.

Simply between PS3 and the X360? It's a toss up, but a lot of stuff is multiplatform. Say what kind of stories you want, and maybe an ideal suggestion can be made.

Well, some of the RPGs I liked were FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Kingdom Hearts, and FFXII. I'm not a big fan of the traditional turn based combat.

I really like scifi.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »

If you like sci-fi, Mass Effect is an outstanding game that I am sure you would probably like. There are rumors about a PS3 port, but nothing has been said by Bioware about it. Star Ocean 4 is also still up in the air when it comes to the platform even though many think it will be for the PS3.

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 04:15:58 PM »

Quote from: "Ace Cronof"

Well, some of the RPGs I liked were FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Kingdom Hearts, and FFXII. I'm not a big fan of the traditional turn based combat.

I really like scifi.

This alone should basically decide for you.  Final Fantasy XIII and Kingdom Hearts III are both going to be on PS3, so if you want to simply go off your old tastes PS3 would be for you.  Mass Effect (which is also on PC) and Too Human are the only two Sci-Fi series I see coming anytime soon for 360.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"

I really like scifi.

This alone should basically decide for you.  Final Fantasy XIII and Kingdom Hearts III are both going to be on PS3, so if you want to simply go off your old tastes PS3 would be for you.  Mass Effect (which is also on PC) and Too Human are the only two Sci-Fi series I see coming anytime soon for 360.

Kingdom Hearts 3? What are you talking about. Square Enix has never said anything about a KH3. They are making 3 spin-offs at the moment for the DS, PSP, and mobile phone.

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »

Yeah, so where's KH3 going then?  PS2?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »

I swear plenty of similar topics have been in that forum, so I'm kind of surprised that all of a sudden this one got an outcry of 'this needs to be moved!'. I thought this forum was meant more for technical problems than something like this anyway.

I really like scifi.

Might be better off with the PS3 simply for FFXIII and vsXIII, but unless you hate Western RPGs the X360 does have Mass Effect for sci-fi. I'd just wait until more games you want to play are out, then more will probably be announced (or confirmed for a platform in the case of SO4). You might get a price drop or two that way as well! Though if you want PS2 BC you'd probably want to get the MGS4 bundle, or hunt down a refurbished 60 gig unit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: