Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 07:06:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327700 Posts in 13416 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PS3 or Xbox 360?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: PS3 or Xbox 360?  (Read 8519 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Yeah, so where's KH3 going then?  PS2?

As of now there is no KH3. KH: Birth By Sleep is for PSP, KH: 358/2 Days is for DS, and KH: Coded is for mobile phones. That is all they are working on when it comes to KH. They might announce a KH3 in the future, but for now it doesn't seem so.

DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »

I'd say Xbox for sure. There are already numerous RPGs both Western and Eastern for the system, and there are plenty more to come. The PS3 might be getting some in the future, but then maybe you'll have enough money to afford one (once they lower the ridiculous price).
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »

Quote from: "DM Kyle E. Miller"
I'd say Xbox for sure. There are already numerous RPGs both Western and Eastern for the system, and there are plenty more to come. The PS3 might be getting some in the future, but then maybe you'll have enough money to afford one (once they lower the ridiculous price).

the 40GB PS3 is $50 more than the Xbox 360 Pro; for that cost, the consumer gets:

Wireless internet built in ($100 extra on Xbox 360)
Rechargable batteries built-in to the controller ($20/controller for Xbox 360)
Blu-ray (Equivalent before death of HD-DVD, $180 on Xbox 360)
Free Online Service ($8/mo or $50/yr on Xbox 360)

I will say that there are a couple of things that you get with the 360 bundle that are not included with the PS3, most notably:

Component Cables ($25 extra on PS3)
Wired Headset ($20-30 extra on PS3)

Are you seriously saying that the $50 difference in hardware is outrageous in comparison to the amount of addons for the Xbox 360?  I like both pieces of hardware and think that there's software on both that's worthwhile, but when the hardware price point difference is a mere $50 for the low-end models (and it's the same difference on the high-end models, 80gb vs elite), simply the inclusion of the wireless internet adapter nullifies the price difference.

In regards to which piece of hardware is worth buying, there are three major things to consider:

1) Which system exclusives (if any) matter greatly to you?  Directly compare the system's exclusive titles, as the great majority of titles released now (at least compared to previous generations) are multiplatform.

2) If you are playing online, do you have friends that you would like to play with on one or the other platform?

3) Which controller do you prefer?  If one or the other is a great feel for you, go with that one.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 01:30:44 AM »

I've been a pretty big advocate of the 360 in past discussions but my view on the subject is starting to change towards the PS3 side. One big reason is because of Metal Gear which, despite being shit-tastic at the game, I love with a burning passion. The second big reason, which has only surfaced just recently, is that most of the games that I really care about on the 360 are also on the PC or PS3, and I'm looking forward to a lot more on the PS3 in the future. It's still pretty much an even bet and I would recomend eventually getting both.

If you can only pick one, do a bit of research and compare the games you would play on one console to games you would play the other console. Also, consider which consoles your friends own and whether or not you'd actually play online with them.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 03:06:05 AM »

Final Fantasy XIII is coming out on the PS3, note that. Mass Effect may not be getting ported to PS3, but it is getting ported to PC. There's also Folklore which is very good. There's also the upcoming Star Ocean 4. I'd say you get a PS3.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »

It's also worth keeping in mind that the 360 has sold substantially more consoles in the US which means that a higher percentage of the JRPGs for the system are likely to get released in the US.  We can already see this in the fact that Atlus has 3 Strategy/RPGs scheduled to be released in the US for the 360 this year and zero titles for the PS3 at the moment.

Personally, I think in the end, the Wii will have the most RPGs for it simply because it's demolishing the competition in sales.  If I remember correctly, last month, in the US, it sold twice as many consoles as the XBox 360 and the PS3 COMBINED.  And this is the month when the 360 & PS3 were supposed to shine due to GTA4's release.

Personally, I don't really see the PS3 dominating the RPG field because the system isn't doing that well.  The PS3 is doing well in Europe (where it looks to be beating the 360 by a modest amount), so-so in the US, and poorly in Japan.  A lot of people forget how badly the PS3 is doing in Japan (Japanese PS3 sales are fewer than US PS3 sales and both combined are noticeably less than US 360 sales) simply because the 360 is doing even worse there.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 11:42:55 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
It's also worth keeping in mind that the 360 has sold substantially more consoles in the US which means that a higher percentage of the JRPGs for the system are likely to get released in the US.  We can already see this in the fact that Atlus has 3 Strategy/RPGs scheduled to be released in the US for the 360 this year and zero titles for the PS3 at the moment.

Personally, I think in the end, the Wii will have the most RPGs for it simply because it's demolishing the competition in sales.  If I remember correctly, last month, in the US, it sold twice as many consoles as the XBox 360 and the PS3 COMBINED.  And this is the month when the 360 & PS3 were supposed to shine due to GTA4's release.

Personally, I don't really see the PS3 dominating the RPG field because the system isn't doing that well.  The PS3 is doing well in Europe (where it looks to be beating the 360 by a modest amount), so-so in the US, and poorly in Japan.  A lot of people forget how badly the PS3 is doing in Japan (Japanese PS3 sales are fewer than US PS3 sales and both combined are noticeably less than US 360 sales) simply because the 360 is doing even worse there.

You're kidding right? The Wii is NOT going to have the most RPG's, ever. There's barely any on it now, and only a handful that look interesting for the future.

DarkSageRK
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »

Click the nifty little Release Dates button on the left sidebar, and determine which one you want from there.

I'm personally going to get the PS3, simply because it has a lot more potential (which is basically all of what you're paying for). If you're impatient and want your RPGs NAO~ then go for the 360. But if you were so impatient, you'd have already gotten one.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 09:06:30 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
You're kidding right? The Wii is NOT going to have the most RPG's, ever. There's barely any on it now, and only a handful that look interesting for the future.

To be honest, things will not be truly clear until all the consoles have been out for at least another year. On either side of the ocean the PS2 didn't start getting truckloads of RPGs until it was about 3 years old (I'd say 2004 was when the PS2 was reliably getting worthwhile RPGs in the US). With that said it doesn't look very good. While it's beating a dead horse, I think most of the RPGs that Nintendo receives will be on the DS.
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 12:06:32 AM »

Are you seriously saying that the $50 difference in hardware is outrageous in comparison to the amount of addons for the Xbox 360? I like both pieces of hardware and think that there's software on both that's worthwhile, but when the hardware price point difference is a mere $50 for the low-end models (and it's the same difference on the high-end models, 80gb vs elite), simply the inclusion of the wireless internet adapter nullifies the price difference.

I wasn't aware of this. Evidently, there was a price drop. Fifty isn't too big of a difference, but it's still valid to say that the PS3 is more expensive. I'd say it's still *too* expensive, by fifty dollars. There has to be a cutoff point. And, despite games like FF 13 and MGS 4 that will never port to the Xbox, a simple look at the number of reviews for the 360 and the number for PS3 here on RPGFan tells you how big of a difference there is. I doubt the trend will change drastically either, although the individual games on each may be different.

As for the Wii, it's hard to tell. Once developers get past the gimmicky games, perhaps there will be some good RPGs.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 02:31:07 AM »

Also note that the PS1 and PS2 had a countless number of RPGs. PS3 will have them too sometime in the future.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 02:54:51 AM »

The PS1 and PS2 had a fantastic library of JRPGs because both were clear cut dominating consoles over in Japan. The closest thing in this current generation is the DS as DQIX shows, which is why I keep dragging it up as the ideal JRPG platform. As for Western RPGs, even at this point I'd still give it to the PC simply because of large lineup of older titles to play and the fact it's getting pretty much every single one made for consoles eventually anyway.

As for the review point: that isn't really valid, going by the review dates the X360 had 2 reviews as well at this point, and both of those are on the PS3 now anyway (with Oblivion unreviewed).
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 02:49:49 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
The PS1 and PS2 had a fantastic library of JRPGs because both were clear cut dominating consoles over in Japan. The closest thing in this current generation is the DS

Actually, the Wii is dominating this generation to almost the exact same degree that the PS2 dominated the last generation if you look at the sales figures over time.  True, the DS is selling even better than that (the fact that it's a cheap portable system that's been out for longer doesn't hurt), but I still stand by my belief that with a few more years, the Wii's library of any genre of your choice is going to be filled with tons of quality for the simple reason that the Wii will have more marketshare than the PS3 & 360 combined and developers and publishers like to release games on the dominant platform (see the PS1 & PS2's success).

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 05:33:15 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Quote from: "Eusis"
The PS1 and PS2 had a fantastic library of JRPGs because both were clear cut dominating consoles over in Japan. The closest thing in this current generation is the DS

Actually, the Wii is dominating this generation to almost the exact same degree that the PS2 dominated the last generation if you look at the sales figures over time.  True, the DS is selling even better than that (the fact that it's a cheap portable system that's been out for longer doesn't hurt), but I still stand by my belief that with a few more years, the Wii's library of any genre of your choice is going to be filled with tons of quality for the simple reason that the Wii will have more marketshare than the PS3 & 360 combined and developers and publishers like to release games on the dominant platform (see the PS1 & PS2's success).

Although you have a good point, I would argue that the Wii isn't even really competing with the PS3 and 360.  It's not really a 'next-gen' console.  Add to the fact that most of the good Wii RPG's could easily be ported to PS2 and I just don't really see the Wii taking off with the RPG genre.  It's the same with the DS, although it's a great system and has dominant sales the graphical power (the resolution specifically) just isn't enough of an improvement.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »

I would side with the "get both" people on this one. Regardless of which console you get you're still going to be missing out on great exlcusive games, RPG or not.  Personally, i'm looking forward to Fallout 3 at the moment. I'm pretty sure it's going to both consoles though.

I have a 360 and i'm quite happy with the library but I'm going to have to get a PS3 eventually once FFXIII and God of War 3 hit the shelves. I was never a Metal Gear nut but that's a big selling point for some.  I heard a nasty rumor of 90 minute cutscene in MGS4 the other day.  I suppose some people would be down for that but not me. I always found those games kinda preachy..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: