Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 08:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332777 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Beyond Good & Evil gets a sequel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Beyond Good & Evil gets a sequel  (Read 3034 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:01:02 PM »

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, seeing as how Beyond Good & Evil was one of the best games of last-gen.

Well, it's getting a sequel.

Whoever doesn't think this is awesome is a moron.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »

Sad thing is, I still have yet to play the original.  Ill have to see if its supported on the 360, and see if my local used shop has a copy.  Ive always been wanting to pick it up.  

I am glad something that didnt sell to well but was widely hailed by folks is getting a sequel.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »

I also have never played the first...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »

BG&E is over rated and this is going to be over hyped.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:56:49 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"

Overrated? Your density never ceases to amaze me...

Wait, actually it does. Your act is old. Maybe you should try something new for a change.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 02:14:42 PM »

Finally, a game to look forward to.  I was starting to think was gonna be one of those years. :P

Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »

I should think it's pretty common knowledge that most "cult classics" ARE overrated to some extent, because their small fanbases tend to be quite zealous. Before buying a cult classic, I try to get a variety of opinions, and before actually starting it up I try to void myself of them. I try to clear my head so that nothing is tainting the experience.

Overrated or not, I think that if you've finished the game it's hard to deny its quality, its charm, and the overall elegance and craftsmanship of the experience. It might not be "teh best game evah!11!", but it was certainly a refreshing, charming, and tightly-engineered game that was created with a lot of care.

If you can't tell, I'm a huuuuge fan of the game and it's definitely one of my top five favourites of the previous generation. I can, however, appreciate the perspective of it being overrated (as I said, most cult classics are to SOME degree). Thus, I wouldn't call myself over zealous; just madly in love. :P

"Time fades even legend..."
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"

Overrated? Your density never ceases to amaze me...

Wait, actually it does. Your act is old. Maybe you should try something new for a change.

Quoted for mother fucking truth.

Edit: ZOMG AN 87% ON GAME RANKINGS IS SO OVERRATED!!!!111

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/561646.asp?q=Beyond%20Good%20%20Evil

Shut up.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"

Shut up.

Your & Jimmy's "anyone who has anything remotely negative to say about this game is 100% wrong and shouldn't be allowed to speak or think at all" is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about.

BG&E fans are just as bad, if not worse than Nintendo fans. Alucard is exactly right, overzealous indeed.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:53:13 PM »

Nice to see the game's actually getting a sequel, but I'm not sure this seeming change to a more realistic art style is good. It's probably necessary to actually get made though, but the cartoony look of the original fit the game best.

Also yes, the game's overrated. Lard put it in a way begging for people to get riled up, and I still think it's a good game, but not one of the greatest things ever. Probably an inevitable effect of playing a game AFTER everyone goes nuts for it.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:59:29 PM »

Why did I think Duke Nukem when I saw that trailer? :P

I haven't played the original, but I've heard good things about it. I'd like to try it out sometime. What is it like?
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »

Quote from: "Miho"
What is it like?

"Streamlined Zelda", essentially. It's an incredibly story-focused experience, but likes to have you actively-piecing its storyline together through in-game means (puzzle-solving, exploration, etc.). It contains much of Zelda's strong points (awesome atmosphere, incredible level/world design, and awesome puzzles/exploration), and "trims the fat" so to speak. Being far more focused on its narrative, the game doesn't have nearly as much length or depth as a Zelda game. It keeps what is necessary to make you feel truly immersed in its world and what helps to further the plot, but offers little in the way of the sometimes-irrelevant extra content of other Zelda-type games.

This length "issue" is something of a make-or-break point, I'd say. I'm generally partial towards shorter, more streamlined games, and can often find Zelda games to be meandering in nature, however well-constructed they may be. BGE gave me a wonderful world to get lost in and told me a solid story about characters I really believed in, and I feel I got more out of the 12-hour experience than through 60 hours of fetch-questing.

"Time fades even legend..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »

Quote from: "Alucard von Elru"
"Streamlined Zelda", essentially.

Statements like this are why my expectations were way too damn high. To be more accurate it's more like Zelda-lite with enough stealth thrown in that it's also MGS-lite and the start of a promising story. Admittedly the stealth is far better than most of what's in Zelda games, notably Phantom Hourglass, but it's enough of a focus I can't really call it a Zelda clone, and goes far beyond 'trimming the fat' as Alucard put it.

I do recommend getting the game though. It's typically $10 or under, and even if you're not the biggest fan you'd still get your money's worth out of it.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 04:59:02 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"

Shut up.

Your & Jimmy's "anyone who has anything remotely negative to say about this game is 100% wrong and shouldn't be allowed to speak or think at all" is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about.

Actually, I've never even played the game. I'm merely saying you could for once in your life give a goddamned reason as to why you don't like something rather than coming into a topic and saying "This game is shit," as you so often do. Say why, and I'll shut up. Plain and simple.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »

This thread was actually a friendly reminder about this game for me.  I bought the original last year really cheap and started playing it (at the time i was in the last week of my senior year of college) so of course it got pushed to the side to finish finals and moving out of my apartment.  unfortunately, i started playing ar tonelico and got completely sidetracked.  So, now when I get home from work I am finding this game and going to play some, especially after hearing there is a sequel and others admiration for it.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: