Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:32:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327549 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....  (Read 17785 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »

I liked Grandia 3's battle system and characters, and that was enough for me to finish the game. Now SO3, I LOVED that game. No way it was a disappointment in my eyes.

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »

I haven't played Grandia III, but the only complaints I ever heard about the game were the storyline.  Which makes it sound exactly like Star Ocean 3 to me.  SO3 has the worst plot twist I've personally ever experienced.  The first 20 hours of the game is fun until you realize that everything you did was completely pointless and added nothing to the plot.  Have a fun little romp around in medieval times for awhile and then we're going to throw down this huge, stupid plot twist.  Now this should be expected, as the same thing happens in SO2.  I'm sure I could play G3 since I really like the Grandia battle system.  I can say the same thing about FFX-2, the plot wasn't too great but it's the only FF on PS2 with the old school battle system so I kept playing.

Personally, I play RPG's for a good storyline and a fun, slightly challenging battle system.  Most JRPG's lack in the storyline department but the battle system usually makes up for it.  Most people don't like the DDS1&2 storyline but I thought it was far more interesting then most games and it's actually fairly close to the same as SO3's storyline, interestingly enough.  But SMT games (particuarly the press turn system) have a flawless battle system, in my opinion.  I'm not a big fan of dying from mudo/hama spells but I find it absolutely awesome that one mistake can completely wipe your party in the SMT series.  Nocturne is by far one of the best RPG's I've ever played and the storyline is almost non-existant.  I think Eusis said it best - it's not forced down your throat in anyway but still maintains enough linearity to get you through the game.  In the end the only thing that matters to me when playing a game is that I can get some sort of satisfaction out it, whether that be a great storyline, good character development or a challenging battle system.  That's all I really look for in a good game.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 04:55:32 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Most people don't like the DDS1&2 storyline but I thought it was far more interesting then most games

?!?!  As far as I know, short of the Nocturne is the best game ever people down at GameFAQs, most people find the combined storyline of the DDS games to be one of the best out there (it's certainly my favorite of the SMT games I've played, at any rate).  It's not to the level of awesomeness that is PS:T's plot, but then I don't think there'll ever be a game to eclipse that (not that I don't want to see a better one, but realistically speaking I doubt I will live to see the day in this medium).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 05:11:37 PM »

Grandia III is fucking terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible...

LETS FLY ON THE WINGS ON A DREAM
THIS SONG IS BY AVRIL LAVIGNE

I knew from the first half second of the opening song that the game would suck.

Bad music, boring characters (save for the lead emo's mum), generic everything.  Great battle engine, but...  Yuck, everything else was the crap.

I hope that Cristina Aguillera does the opening song for the next game.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 05:18:54 PM »

I'd like this game a lot more if it weren't the sequel to my favorite RPG of all time. Unfortunately it is, and as such I found it to be underwhelming in the extreme. Aside from Miranda, Alfonso, Schmidt, and Hact (fantastic characters all, and I wish they'd appeared in any game other than this one), this game has NOTHING going for it storywise. Once I left the Versephere for the second time I stopped caring altogether.

EDIT: Yeah Los, I'd completely forgotten about that embarassing opening theme. And the rest of the music (aside from the battle themes, which are pretty good) is a MAJOR step down from, well, everything else Iwadare has ever done.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
To offer the defence of JRPGs: At least they /try/ to have a story with actual character development. :P

Yeah, western RPGs don't have enough screechy girls screaming "ITAAIIIIIIIIII >_<" every time they get hit, and moments where characters fight monsters and solve puzzles inside a character's mind as the game reveals how Character X's personality revolves around one single event in their life.

But anyhow, not an argument we need to drag out here...

But certainly not before you threw in your own two cents prior to making this statement.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
But anyhow, not an argument we need to drag out here...

But certainly not before you threw in your own two cents prior to making this statement.

I was thinking about this earlier, but this is actually THE thread to drag out such an argument.

Oh, and DDS does have one of the better stories for a JRPG. The ending is... well, I mentioned prior that I was kinda disappointed but ultimately satisfied with P3's ending, namely when looking back on it, and this one's way more mixed (P3's was actually pretty good and whatever disappointment I had was probably just a result of taking 100+ hours and several months to reach it).
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »

I hated Grandia I and II, never bothered with III.
The stories were always lame and the battle system was pretty fun but not fun enough to make up for the fact that the games sucked in every other regard.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »

Grandia 3 may not have that great of a plot, but the battle engine is one of the best I have ever played, hence why I enjoyed it so much. I have played much worse RPG's.

It got pretty good ratings too: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927215.asp?q=grandia%203

Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »

I'm playing Magna Carta right now, and boy the story often makes no sense at all.  Supposedly it picks up and becomes amazing, but when?  Even if the story were good, the presentation would still be flawed.  Pacing!

There are a lot of other really frustrating things about the game, though, and I'm honestly not sure I can finish it.  

As for good stories, I agree about the greatness of SMT:DDS and P3.  I also thought Nocturne had an absolutely amazing story.  It's told in a very different, subtle way, but it is there and there is a very strong story in the game.  These SMT games are ones that actually make me think about my life and place in the world.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »

Quote from: "Rindu"
I'm playing Magna Carta right now, and boy the story often makes no sense at all.  Supposedly it picks up and becomes amazing, but when?  Even if the story were good, the presentation would still be flawed.  Pacing!

I wouldn't say it ever reaches amazing, but it does pick up somewhat after about 10 hours into the game.  Then it's fairly interesting until the two worst plot twists ever (well, excepting the mentioned SO3 plot twist).  One of which is quite possibly the most predictable plot twist in an RPG ever.  It's the strongest point of the game, but sadly that isn't saying a whole lot.  I'm not 100% sure how/why I got around to finishing that game, actually...

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 06:44:19 PM »

Yeah, I really didn't like Grandia 3 that much either even though I actually did finish it.  Even though I try to focus on the positive things about games (I bought it to enjoy, not to bitch about), there are certain games where the creators make it difficult.  This was definitely one of those games.  Overall I'd probably call it on par with most western RPGs, save Kotor (which was awesome).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 06:50:32 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
I wouldn't say it ever reaches amazing, but it does pick up somewhat after about 10 hours into the game.  

Well, I'm 25 hours in.  I think I might just have to give up here.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 08:48:14 PM »

yeah, the story has been a reason why i've been playing less and less jrpgs these days...

i really wish they try putting effort in story telling and backstory, like FFT's...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »

Lack of effort isn't the problem, at least not with getting story in there period. The lack of trying anything even vaguely new or properly thinking stories out is the problem, I think some more interesting things were tried in the 16-bit era than today.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: