Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 01:40:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319060 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....  (Read 17258 times)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »

Quote from: "Act00"
I found in Odin Sphere one of the stupidest and corniest plot twist, I ever heard. In the third Valkyre chapter. I hope, that's the only one.

I actually find it hard to accept at first too, but the thing was,

Code:
Gwendolyn violated the law of the kingdom by turning on General Brigand, who is actually one of the more popular commanding generals in the kingdom; if Odin hadn't disciplined her, he would've faced the outrage of the people.

Then again, as a manipulator of sorts, I think he only did it so he could get the ring of Titrel from Oswald, who, earlier, didn't want to give it up to Odin after he found it; Odin knew Oswald would give it to her as a wedding ring of sorts.

So, you see, it actually makes sense in the end, but only after you've played through Oswald's chapter.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2008, 06:43:05 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
Quote from: "Bernhardt"
White Mage that could only heal, or a Black Mage that could only cast offensive spells.

That's, uh, what they're *supposed* to do.  You're clearly a post-Final Fantasy VII "new generation" gamer who has been spoiled on the overcustomization trend, where every character can do everything. :P

The Final Fantasy series allowed "every character to do everything" as early as III.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
White Mage that could only heal, or a Black Mage that could only cast offensive spells.

That's, uh, what they're *supposed* to do.  You're clearly a post-Final Fantasy VII "new generation" gamer who has been spoiled on the overcustomization trend, where every character can do everything. :P

The Final Fantasy series allowed "every character to do everything" as early as III.

Incidentally, FFIII is the only one I've never played, and really don't have a desire to, either. FFIV, the characters were pretty well restricted to their job classes, as later in FFIX.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"

What about IV? And VI to some extent (base classes.)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2008, 12:16:05 AM »

I'm just responding to Shiguma's post and pointing out that the "overcustomization trend" didn't start with VII.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2008, 10:04:55 PM »

The problem in FF games with mages that can only heal is that, obviously, they have extremely limitted viability in non-wizarding situations, and situations where magic is important are ultimately relatively few compared to the ones where it's not, so pure mages have sort of limitted viability anyway, simply because they can't attack freely. In this regard I think it's better to go the Chrono Trigger route and make everyone a mage to some extent, and then do something to make magic more widely useful (Lots of MP as in an SMT game or Tales games (Or at least Symphonia did this), or the spell-charging thing like in CC, or whatever).

In other words, in strictly-classed games, fighters should be awesome fighters but crappy mages, and mages should be crappy fighters but awesome mages. in FF games, Fighters tend to be awesome fighters and crappy mages, and mages tend to be pretty mediocre at both fighting and maging.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2008, 04:05:44 AM »

the real solution is tag team action ala ffx and xenosaga 2 and 3. i dont want my fighters going anywhere near a magic spell.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »

Or just implement a row system and stick all of your mages where nobody's ever going to get near them.

Or instead of a row system, do what Wizardry 8 did, where you have like, 9 or so regions where you can stick your guys in.

o/` I do not dream o/`

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »

Shiguma: Everything you have said about FFX-2 sums up quite well why the game bored me to death. You're quite right about game lacking challenge, is not that i want super hard games, but at least a bit of challenge here and there. That's also why i never managed to get into FFIX, besides the forgettable plot, the game was just too damn easy. That said, at least that one didn't annoyed me like Xenosaga and FFX-2 did.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »

FFIX isn't that easy. Harder than FFVIII and FFVII at least. On the other hand, I wouldn't really call something like FFIV hard, though, since that was just a massive grindfest without any... strategic depth or any sort of meaningful in-battle decision making, and there's nothing really difficult about taping down the comfirm button while making your guys walk around in circles for a few hours.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »

Actually I didn't even really grind much in FFIV until the end with how stupidly powerful Zeromus is.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2008, 11:51:07 PM »

I played hardtype :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2008, 02:43:26 AM »

i'd rather a game be to easy than too hard.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2008, 04:31:44 AM »

More than easy or hard, i prefer a battle system that is fun. Considering how repetitive the battles can be in almost any RPG, a well done and addictive battle system is what really makes the difference.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2008, 04:46:20 AM »

I've never been particularly interested where involuntary difficulty is concerned. I like games where you can select your difficulty, because that makes it challenging enough for the people who do want to try, but easy enough for the rest of us that just want a regular game.

Also: I agree, fun games over hard games. For sure. There's a reason I love fighters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: