Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:30:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334688 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....  (Read 18175 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »

grandia 3's is terrible. never before has an rpg made me roll my eyes so many times.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »

The older I get, the more ridiculous RPG stories seem to me.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »

If Grandia 3 is one of the worst stories you have ever seen, then you haven't played very many RPG's. I didn't think the story was great, but I enjoyed it because the characters weren't stupid. It had personality.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 01:35:09 PM »

It's mostly a JRPG problem in general.  Their writers seem to be pretty terrible.  If Lost Odyssey's in-game writing had been of the same quality as exhibited by that novelist whose work was featured in the Thousand Years of Powerpoint, I wouldn't have given up on the game.  Instead, it turned into your typical pretentious JRPG suck-fest, which is the same reason why I never finished Eternal Sonata.

Now that I think about it, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is the last Japanese RPG title I've finished in some time now.  I really enjoyed Grandia II, but Grandia III got really stupid early on, and I sold it back to Gamestop in no time flat.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »

The only reason I finished Grandia III was the battle system, and I was even tired of it during the last few hours of the game. I was really let down because the first few hours of the game showed so much promise. The visuals were great, and the battle system remains one of my favorites, but, as you said, Alisha, the story was garbage. I sold it back to GameStop after I finished.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
If Grandia 3 is one of the worst stories you have ever seen, then you haven't played very many RPG's.
 Although I'm not agreeing with everything Parn wrote on the issue, Grandia 3's plot went from bad to horrible to laughably bad and in a hurry.  I was never a fan of the series in terms of the plots, but it was noteworthy for being just so horrible.  At least Grandia Xtreme wasn't trying to be a serious plot.  Uh, I hope not anyway.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 02:16:42 PM »

grandia games never had good story to begin with, but i agree with you, grandia 3 just abuse the word 'story telling' in every possible way.

but whoever plays Grandia for Story is just retard. the gameplay is where it at.
Blue Bullet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 02:19:26 PM »

Grandia 3 doesn't take the crown of "the worst rpg ever", at least not for me,  on my tastes that place goes to FFX-2, but hey that's just me haha!.

However, I do agree with OP, the story was terrible and poorly executed the only thing that kept me hooked was the gameplay.

Everlasting Junk Story - In motion -
Currently Playing: Stella Deus
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »

Quote from: "faridmon"
but whoever plays Grandia for Story is just retard. the gameplay is where it at.

I hope to GOD English isn't your first language.

I really enjoyed the first game's plot and it has wonderful characterization. The second game's plot got pretty weak by the end of it, but the characters and their interactions remained compelling through the entirety of the experience, lifting it high above the mediocre story it COULD have been. From the little I played of III, it gets nothing right. Grandia's main selling point to me, aside from the combat, was the sheer charm it inherited from Lunar.

Right off the bat, III felt empty and void. Just from wondering around the first "town"... it was so small, so undetailed... a far cry from the opening locale of the original. There's no personality to the experience, zero charm. A far cry from its predecessors. I hope to god they just stop making games in the series. If you can't get it right, then stop tainting the good name of games I have loved.

"Time fades even legend..."
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »

I liked Yuki's mom and that thing/guy who sounded like Gene Starwind. A shame they left the party, because the plot goes downhill from there...
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »

Yes, that is exactly the point where the game started sucking for me.  The charm that GameArts' games usually have quickly disappeared, along with any interest I had in the title.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 04:03:14 PM »

To offer the defence of JRPGs: At least they /try/ to have a story with actual character development. :P But anyhow, not an argument we need to drag out here...

Grandia III commits the cardinal sin of giving you awesome and then taking it away. The only time this has ever been acceptable has been Final Fantasy Tactics, where Delita went poof, but remained a key player in the story. Unfortunately it committed the other end of said sin: Giving you Orlandu, the one-man panzer corps.

I believe FFT's hierarchy of power went something like this:

Orlandu > Monks > Everything.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
To offer the defence of JRPGs: At least they /try/ to have a story with actual character development. :P

That is not inherently a good thing.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 04:08:34 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
The older I get, the more ridiculous RPG stories seem to me.

*nods sagely*

That's why I mourn the slow death of the computer RPG.  I know I'll never see the likes of Planescape:  Torment on any other platform besides the PC.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

Agreed. After playing Grandia II, Grandia III was just rediculously bad. GII had a crappy plot, but great dialog with characters and voice actors who could really deliver humor, emotion, and thoughts evocatively. G3s best characters were ditched half way through the game, and the rest of the cast were lame architypes with no unique personality to make them at all intreguing... unlike Ryudo and friends, who although being architypes, were well written and had interesting anomolies that made them far from generic (except for maybe Tio).

If G3 had been more like Skies or Arcadia, and had not taken itself completely seriously, and gave the impression of just being a fun romp, that would have worked beautifully... but they didn't, and it became a trashy mess of regurgitated cliches and boring plot-talk.

Second biggest letdown of a sequel on the PS2... only to Star Ocean 3.

PS: and for those of you who got by on just the battle system... try Grandia 2... the battle system was about 95% the same, with better marks in every other area. G3 was a complete waste of time. Grandia is SUPPOSED to have more than just a good battle system, and it has been in the past, so I think it's fully understandable to blame the game for having a crappy plot & writing.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: