Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 10:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335259 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....  (Read 18215 times)
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »

I liked Grandia 3. FUCK THE HATERS!

Seriously though, lame as a story may be, if you let yourself get immersed, you might have a bit of fun with it.

Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »

Yeah, I think it takes a certain mindset to enjoy some video game stories, most really. You have to have a very lenient suspension of disbelief as well. I don't think they're pretentious at all either, which is why I appreciate them sometimes. Video games are perhaps the least pretentious media. They rarely try to seem more important or dignified than they are, an admirable quality.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Does an RPG story have to be epic to be good?  I certainly don't think so.

Hear hear.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Does an RPG story have to be epic to be good?  I certainly don't think so.

I also cosign on this. I honestly feel that Dragon Quest VII has one of the best JRPG plots ever precisely because it's down-to-earth.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »

I'll agree with Dinc's original statement that G3 had a seed of a wonderfully simple story: for Yuki to realize his dream of becoming a great pilot. However, the game did not follow suit, and soon put that on the back burner for bigger, more grandios (and generic) plot points.

This is why I think it's really good, in epic games, for there to be points in the game where everything is okay: maybe the bad guy got defeated (before his final return), and the protatonists have some time to work on their individual goals, or do things to build up steam and recouperate.

That's one of the things that I think the Tales series does so well. In both Symphonia and Abyss, there are points where there is a definite lull, and characters aren't driven to just follow the main plot... without it degenerating into sandboxy bullshit. G3 could have DEFINITELY used some downtime like that.

And I'll agree that a game doesn't have to be epic to be good. Heck one of my favorite games is Ico, which is more like a nice little vignette. However, I do like my epics (in games, music, and movies) so I won't by any stretch of the imagination condemn epics in any way.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
I just think some people have too high of expectations for a story in a game. Not every single story has to be an epic masterpiece of something...

This is why I'm careful with my wording... it's not about the story, but about the quality of the writing for me... how the story is executed.  A game like Tales of Symphonia for example, doesn't have a compelling story.  But it didn't need to... the character interaction was fantastic much like Grandia II's, and it had extremely fun gameplay to supplement it.  Aside from the last hour or so, neither game took itself too seriously.

Grandia III is a steaming pile of failure because no matter how epic the story could have been, the writing failed to keep me interested.  This is where Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XII, Xenosaga, and numerous other titles have all failed to deliver.  If I don't care about the characters and dialogue, an RPG will not retain my interest for long.

Mass Effect and Ys: The Oath in Felghana are two of my favorite RPG titles.  They stand on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as complexity goes with regard to storyline, but I enjoyed both a great deal.  It's all about the execution.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »

Problem is, the whole "Hell breaks loose" shtick is becoming over-used in JRPGs. You're always fighting God, Satan, or some other cosmological being.

Dawn of Mana, which I'm currently playing right now, while a decent game, still has me groaning with the typical "fulfillment of end times prophecies" shtick going on, in which monsters start coming up the Hell, and humanity is stuck huddling together in one city in the entire world.

Odin Sphere does good with the Armageddon shtick because they create a good sense of dire and seriousness of the situation; that, and I believe it's based on actual mythology, as opposed to trying to create your own shoddy mythology. Even then, it's still kind of like, "Do we really have to do this?" It still feels tacked on in the end, and like they're only going there to try and impress you.

The reason I like Breath of Fire V for its plot is, there really is no hell breaks loose moment; if anything, you're already in hell, trying to get out; it's a story about survival; you're not even concerned with trying to overthrow a corrupt government, but you eventually do anyway, just because it's on your way to getting out of hell. And the final boss? A DRAGON. That's CLASSIC.

It's just kind of like, can we all stop trying to imitate Neon Genesis Evangelion now?!

Grandia III's still worth a play if you've nothing else left on your list, and you can pick it up for about $30, maybe $20.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »

The reason I like Breath of Fire V for its plot is, there really is no hell breaks loose moment

That's something interesting about SMT games, really. The "hell breaks loose" moment is usually within the first hour of gameplay.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »

And with The World Ends With You
Code:
you defeat the final boss (the dragon form of a megalomaniac bent on taking over Shibuya then gradually the world) but that's just the last step for Neku's main objective, which is to get the fuck out of this stupid Reapers Game with his sanity and friends intact.  No noble quest to save the universe.  He just wants to leave and go home.  But he eventually does save the world before the villain can even destroy his home town, which is what usually occurs at the beginning of your average JRPG.  Neku's efficient:P

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2008, 08:26:01 PM »

Speaking of interesting storylines, what about Ultima 4 through 7? Those are noticable as they work less on HUGE PLOT TWISTS, which is a problem with a lot other RPGs, but instead have storylines that evolve fairly organically, whatever that means.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2008, 10:45:19 PM »

Ultima IV was my first RPG, and it was awesome for what it was in its time, but seriously.

"YOU SEE A SPICY WOMAN."

> NAME

"MY NAME IS PEPPER."

> JOB

"I AM A FIGHTING BARD."

> BARD

"BARDS KNOW MANY THINGS."

"DOST THOU SEEK SOMETHING?"

> YES

"WHAT MIGHT THAT BE?"

> RUNE

"THE RUNE OF COMPASSION LIES AT THE END OF A HALL SOMEWHERE IN THIS TOWN."

> DAMMIT

"I CANNOT HELP THEE WITH THAT."

Not the most compelling dialogue, if you follow me.  Dry content like that is what makes the Elder Scrolls series a gigantic snoozefest.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
Ultima IV was my first RPG, and it was awesome for what it was in its time, but seriously.

"YOU SEE A SPICY WOMAN."

> NAME

"MY NAME IS PEPPER."

> JOB

"I AM A FIGHTING BARD."

> BARD

"BARDS KNOW MANY THINGS."

"DOST THOU SEEK SOMETHING?"

> YES

"WHAT MIGHT THAT BE?"

> RUNE

"THE RUNE OF COMPASSION LIES AT THE END OF A HALL SOMEWHERE IN THIS TOWN."

> DAMMIT

"I CANNOT HELP THEE WITH THAT."

Not the most compelling dialogue, if you follow me.  Dry content like that is what makes the Elder Scrolls series a gigantic snoozefest.

I can't think of any game at that time that didn't have dialogue such as that...hell most RPGs didn't really even have dialogue.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2008, 01:55:55 AM »

My biggest "oh please" moment in an RPG actually happened pretty recently. Near the end of the first disc of Lost Odyssey:
Code:
Lirum dies, Kaim is sad, but recollects some of his memory of Gongora. Him and Seth talk for about six seconds and come to the conclusion that Gongora sucked their memories away. And literally two sentences later decide that the reason he did this is because he wants to take over the world.

I was really digging the story up to that point. I haven't gotten much farther than that. I'm hoping nothing as ridiculous as that happens again.

[/url]
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2008, 04:54:08 AM »

happens alot in most jrpgs, but as someone stated, you have to go into this game with a certain mindset...
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"

I was really digging the story up to that point. I haven't gotten much farther than that. I'm hoping nothing as ridiculous as that happens again.

lol Well... You may as well stop playing, because it's a lightning-fast downhill decline from Disc 2 and onwards. Just find and print all of the dreams or something, because they're the one good thing to come out of that experience.

"Time fades even legend..."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: