Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:49:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319227 Posts in 13034 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: i'm usually not one to complain about rpg stories but....  (Read 17265 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »

Quote from: "Alucard von Elru"
Quote from: "everluck"

I was really digging the story up to that point. I haven't gotten much farther than that. I'm hoping nothing as ridiculous as that happens again.

lol Well... You may as well stop playing, because it's a lightning-fast downhill decline from Disc 2 and onwards. Just find and print all of the dreams or something, because they're the one good thing to come out of that experience.

Agreed.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2008, 08:53:15 PM »

I can't think of any game at that time that didn't have dialogue such as that...hell most RPGs didn't really even have dialogue.

Ultima 4 was easily the most text-heavy and story-centric game at the time, on both the console and PC front. Also none of that, you know, "You see a bard. You right what he said in your journal (Go look up passage 17 int he manual)" silliness.

Also Morrowind's writing's not that dry. Generic NPCs are sort of dry, yes, but a lot of the unique writing is really witty. Also some of the voice clips the NPCs say. "Hey! I found a piece of cheese! Whose... piece of cheese is this..?" "I don't remember having teleported. But there I was. Alone; naked." And some of Yagrum Bagarn's quotes.

And all of this was summarily retracted in Oblivion, where even the non-generic, plot centric NPCs had about as much text as the generics, any sort of wit was entirely removed, and you had stupid, drippy moments like "The password is... brotherhood."

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Der Jermeister

G'day, sport!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2008, 11:18:49 PM »

The first Grandia's story was just as abhorrent...

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2008, 11:39:29 AM »

Not really. I believe a story is abhorrent if it's poorly-done and fails to catch my interest. Grandia's story was, at its heart, the story of Justin's journey to realize his dream of adventuring. When it did bring in the mysterious girl stuff, it was incorporated rather smoothly into Justin's story, and then raised the stakes of Justin's journey rather than making the player forget about it.

Well-done. Not original, but you don't always need originality to have a good plot.

I agree with whoever mentioned DQVII's plot. As I replay it now, I realize how excellent the handling of the plot is. Although the overarching goal of the story is simple, the development of the places you visit really makes you care about what you're doing in the game. Also, even though the characters are archetypes, I'm really getting attached to them. What this makes is an incredibly satisfying adventure, like Grandia, which is what I want in an RPG.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »

Thing with Grandia III, I think they'd pretty much made a conclusion to Yuki's dreams story after he got his airplane from Schmidt; at least, that's probably the way the story writers looked at it.

I mean, he pretty much realized his dream after getting that airplane...not that he built it himself or anything, which was definitely a weak conclusion to his story.

They're just not able to write stories for Grandia games anymore; it's like the staff from the first two games aren't there anymore. Grandia Xtreme tried to put back the same attitude with Evan that they did with Ryudo in Grandia II, and Grandia III's Yuki sort of was an homage to Justin, what with the similar sense of optimism and curiosity both characters had...and for the most part, failed miserably.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"

Not abhorrent, just had a huge swerve in it that you weren't expecting.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2008, 12:31:57 AM »

As repetitive as many JRPGs can be in therms of plot, i still dig them a lot. Can't say i have played that many titles, but i have invested a considerable ammount of time on some.

The only two so far that really bored me to death, and annoyed me with it's stupid story and characters, was Xenosaga ep 1. And FFX-2, which also bored the hell out of me, but Xep1 still wins in therms of annoyance (yes, even more) It's not just that they were poorly written and constructed, there's a calculated failure in both games, as if the creators went on in purpose to make the worst decisions possible.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2008, 04:28:29 AM »

I enjoyed FFX-2 a ton because I focused on its great gameplay. That's kind of what you're really supposed to play it for.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2008, 08:49:11 AM »

The gameplay in X-2 was ok but nothing that kept me returning to it.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2008, 06:56:53 PM »

Everluck, don't listen to Alucard or Blace about Lost Odyssey. There are a lot of wonderful moments outside of the dream sequences. I absolutely loved every scene with Jansen in it (and many of them weren't all humorous). Yes, the plot based dialog was a little rushed, most of the dialog in the game was simply banter, which was wonderfully written. The dream sequences were good, I would agree, however, they failed to capture the character interaction that many of the cut scenes did. Disc 2 and Disc 4 both have a lot of really incredible moments.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2008, 07:12:29 PM »

Yeah, don't listen to me, I only beat the game and reviewed it...

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »

i dont know how to explain it but i think the battle system in grandia 3 is somehow worse than the one from grandia 2. i dont recall ever failing to cancel an enemy in grandia 2 because i couldnt run over to them and cancel them fast enough. but what really made me roll my eyes in the grandia 3 story is all the "oh the power of love will save us all" bullcrap.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2008, 08:47:11 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Quote from: "Der Jermeister"

Not abhorrent, just had a huge swerve in it that you weren't expecting.

Have to disagree there; there's never a point in the game when I was like, "Am I still playing the same game?!" Gaia was introduced pretty damn late in the game, but up until we discover Gaia, we know there's still something that destroyed the Angelou civilization ages ago.

A lot of RPGs these days, with their plot twists, make me question whether I'm still playing the same game as I was in the beginning; a lot of those plot twists are done so randomly, without any foreshadowing, and usually just for shock value, as opposed to actually helping the story progress, or help go deeper into a character.

The first Grandia was ALWAYS Grandia to me. And Grandia II, even with the hell breaks loose moment, still didn't stray too far from what the game was initially about; we knew from the very beginning we'd eventually square off with Valmar.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2008, 09:35:09 PM »

Why don't we just take this a step higher and discuss an even greater story structure that almost every RPG has? I'm talking about protagonists against antagonists. This occurs one too many a time in RPGs and I feel a change is needed or all developers shall be deemed unoriginal, unthoughtful and stock.

You know, I just don't focus on how many times I've seen commonalities between stories in RPGs and just enjoy each individual games I play for what they are. I like or dislike a game on its own merits, not whether I've seen its story type multiple times before. I know that kind of thinking just engenders unoriginal ideas but what else can be done? When a truly original game comes along then I will cherish it, but I won't hold it against any other developers for not doing something original if the game they create is still enjoyable.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2008, 10:21:18 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
which was wonderfully written

No it wasn't.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: