Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 06:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327318 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  1up: MMO Armageddon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 1up: MMO Armageddon  (Read 3165 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »

An arcticle about MMO termination.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »

Yep.  That's why it's good to not to get too attached to a game.  There were people in WoW who were more dedicated to the game than they were real life.  So...yeah.  And with the market as completely inundated as it is with MMOs, there will be similar stories in many other MMOs as well when they come to an end.  Nothing lasts forever.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »

This is an incredible article. Very well-written, very powerful. The story about Auto Assault's final moments really touched me.

And as a person who's almost logged 100 days of my life into FFXI, it really makes you think. If MMOs are a microcosm, a representation (mirrored and skewed of course) of reality, it reminds us of the temporal natures we all possess. We is gonna die someday.

Damn.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »

I don't think anyone gets attached to an MMO, but rather the community. It's the same as graduating from high school or retiring from your job, I'd say. You'll move onto better things more likely, but you'll still look back on it as a positive experience.

Goes to show that FFXI has lived really freaking long just through the Final Fantasy name alone. I don't think half as many people would've played it if it didn't have FF in the title. :P
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 07:14:23 AM »

Quote from: "Hathen"
I don't think anyone gets attached to an MMO, but rather the community. It's the same as graduating from high school or retiring from your job, I'd say. You'll move onto better things more likely, but you'll still look back on it as a positive experience.

Goes to show that FFXI has lived really freaking long just through the Final Fantasy name alone. I don't think half as many people would've played it if it didn't have FF in the title. :P

While the community bond is strong, it isn't everything. There are two other factors to consider:

1) endgame eliteness. With every other RPG you play, if you go nuts creating some sort of ultra character, you can stop playing for years but hold on to the knowledge that you've got a save file proving to yourself and others that, yes, you did beat Ruby and Emerald (to give a famous example). If an MMO shuts down, you can never log back in and show off your amazing gear and character stats. Honestly, as an FFXI player, this thought scares me.

2) the world. We are creatures of habit. When I think of FFXI, I have fond memories of the towns, the worlds, the regular mobs and NPCs ... when that's all gone forever, that will be a difficult thing to grasp. I will miss logging on, being in my Mog House, even the level-grind ... it's habitual at this point.

The community is a big factor, but these other two factors also weigh heavily on my mind.

Ramza

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »

Lesson learned: play an MMO handled by a reputable company.  Speaking of which, Square needs to reveal Project Rapture's official title, getting sick of waiting.  Also would be nice to know what Bioware's working on.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:01:25 AM »

In all honesty, I'm all about the...

Quote from: "Ramza"
1) endgame eliteness.

This is a bit difficult for me to explain, but I consider my in-game companions to be "teammates" more than "friends."  My "friends" in Final Fantasy XI are people I have established relationships with outside of the game, and they extend beyond the scope of our online adventures.

That said, I am less about the "community" than many people, I suppose.  I play MMORPGs for the challenges, the rewards of overcoming them (which are often called "e-peen" or "endgame eliteness" as mentioned above), and the method in which they are overcome (working together with other people).  That, in my eyes, is the beauty of the genre.

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »

That would be the way I interpret community. I usually never had more than a few real life friends that I would play with online. Everyone else was just random people that I found I could work well with and we decided to work together on a regular basis. While I suppose I've certainly had the opportunity to make real life friends (there are some people who I found online that lived relatively close) I just never did it. I think it would be the same for most people.

Besides, if it weren't for the competition and teamwork I sure as hell wouldn't have spent years of my life playing Diablo II.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
Lesson learned: play an MMO handled by a reputable company.  Speaking of which, Square needs to reveal Project Rapture's official title, getting sick of waiting.  Also would be nice to know what Bioware's working on.

I'm kind of wondering how far they're actually along with that game. The supposed picture of Project Rapture just seemed like a high-res version of FFXI.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »

I guess I'm one of the few who detests the MMO genre. I tried Runescape and WoW and hated them both.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »

I don't think anyone gets attached to an MMO, but rather the community.

World of Warcraft alone disproves that theory.  I was in that game for the variety, after which I finally figured it's all the same stuff in a (thinly) veiled different package.  However, I do think in general most people do stick to a game because they found a particular segment of the community too appealing, such as a guild.  Whether they'd feel guilt for leaving that guild or whatever, ultimately that social network becomes the basis for why they won't put an MMO down.

Speaking of that, I always found it interesting when entire guilds would disband and quit a game.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 03:13:05 AM »

I'd rather not just have anonymous party members. Real life friends are ideal, but it doesn't hurt to make some online ones that you can talk about stuff beyond the game you're playing. I mean, the only reason why I am staying in my current guild is because I like the people in this one more than the others I have been in.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 06:22:45 PM »

I'm kind of wondering how far they're actually along with that game. The supposed picture of Project Rapture just seemed like a high-res version of FFXI.

What picture.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »

I hardly do any socializing at all in MMOs.  I've partied a few times,  but I spend the overwhelming majority of my time soloing and not talking to anyone. Which sometimes makes me wonder why I even bother playing these games, as I could have pretty much the same experience playing single-player RPGs.

I do occasionally get a kick out of eavesdropping on other people's conversations, though.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 06:36:03 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
I hardly do any socializing at all in MMOs.  I've partied a few times,  but I spend the overwhelming majority of my time soloing and not talking to anyone. Which sometimes makes me wonder why I even bother playing these games, as I could have pretty much the same experience playing single-player RPGs.

I do occasionally get a kick out of eavesdropping on other people's conversations, though.

You took the words out of me completely. I was going to say the EXACT same thing. I have done nothing but soloing on WoW since I got it except for playing with real friends who I know outside in the "real" world, and that isn't very often. I feel like I should just be playing a single player RPG with a story that I actually WANT to pay attention to. Oh well, back to leveling :P.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: