Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319310 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  1up: MMO Armageddon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 1up: MMO Armageddon  (Read 3130 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
What picture.

Well, it wasn't really a picture, but a screen capture of the concept video.

But seeing as how they're still using FFXI-like style graphics to simulate it I'm assuming their next MMO is going look incredibly similar.

Not that I really mind since I like FFXI's art style, but I don't really see that many improvements yet.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 01:37:41 AM »

Which sometimes makes me wonder why I even bother playing these games, as I could have pretty much the same experience playing single-player RPGs.

Maybe because you can still get people to help you and do things for you without having to socialize too much. I suppose you can always just grind if you get stuck but sometimes its more fun to just have a stronger player give you some assistance. Free items and stuff are cool as well.

And again, I have to stress that even if you don't socialize much just the fact that there are other players there make it more interesting. What's the point of having a strong character if you can't show it off? Not to mention other players have often made me interested in playing characters or builds I may not have tried otherwise. I know I certainly impressed a few people when I was one of the few barbarians on battle net that specialized in throwing weapons and I didn't suck on top of it.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »

Quote from: "Hathen"
Well, it wasn't really a picture, but a screen capture of the concept video.

But seeing as how they're still using FFXI-like style graphics to simulate it I'm assuming their next MMO is going look incredibly similar.

Not that I really mind since I like FFXI's art style, but I don't really see that many improvements yet.

Maybe because it was a concept video from three years ago that was thrown together in one month for the purpose of delivering a presentation that Square was onboard for developing on Xbox 360 at E3 2005.  Short version: that was a tech demo for Xbox 360.  A lot happens in three years.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 04:33:57 AM »

if you do a google image search of project rapture you will see what looks like a viera and a moogle on a chocobo.....

as for ffxi i've tried other mmo's and always come back to ffxi. theres something undeniably cool about monks samurai's and ninjas of wich WoW has none.

edit:just checked the blog those pics were on and it said they were released the day before april fools day even more suspicous is the word crystal tools when SE has already stated that the new MMO will use the white engine.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 04:41:12 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
even more suspicous is the word crystal tools when SE has already stated that the new MMO will use the white engine.

They're one and the same, Crystal Tools is the new name for the White Engine.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 04:43:14 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
even more suspicous is the word crystal tools when SE has already stated that the new MMO will use the white engine.

They're one and the same, Crystal Tools is the new name for the White Engine.

thanks for the heads up.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 01:34:30 PM »

if you do a google image search of project rapture you will see what looks like a viera and a moogle on a chocobo.....

It was fake.  That was Allakhazam's April Fool's joke.

There has been a tight lid on info related to Project Rapture.  There are no screenshots or videos for it available to the public.  Not even the slightest leak of info.  All we have to go on is a concept tech demo from over three years ago, and that it's going to be a multiplatform MMO covering Xbox 360, PS3, and Windows Vista on PC with Crystal Tools powering it all.  Supposedly the official title will be unveiled soon, but what "soon" amounts to is anyone's guess.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: