Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 11:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337994 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Jeanne D'Arc
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Jeanne D'Arc  (Read 3925 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »

Quote from: "terrencelee"
the reviews of brave story i saw gave it between a 6.5 and a 7.5. not a bad review but not a good one. and if a game doesnt get at least an 8 or a 9 i usually ask around to friends if its worth buying.

if its worth buying thoguh ill check it out, i really need something new for my psp.

re:crisis core i havent bought any of the ff7 sequels, i wasnt the biggest ff7 fan, i liked it a lot but it was far from my favorite. of all the sequels crisis core is the one i'm most interested in.

Brave Story- http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psp/bravestorynewtraveller?q=brave%20story
That's pretty decent if you ask me.

And Crisis Core is awesome. I did the review for the site.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »

I thought Brave Story was a generic, FF style RPG.  Not a bad game, but nothing great.  I'd call it a mediocre game.  Graphics were real purty, though.  

The PSP is a great platform for SRPGs, though.  Jeanne D'Arc, FFT: WoL, and Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness are good.  Although most critics didn't view these too favorably, Pat here at RPGFan reviewed Aedis Eclipse positively and I (back when I was an editor) reviewed Wild Arms XF favorably.  

Still, right now my two favorite PSP games are Tekken Dark Resurrection and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles, which aren't RPGs (though I do count Symphony of the Night as one.)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »

Patapon is fun.  I'm also looking forward to the new R-Type game--it isn't an RPG but it looks like a good strategy game.  And I want to dabble in Wild Arms XF, Aedis Eclipse, Riviera, Brave Story.

Also, when it comes to review scores:  I recently made a database to keep track of games I own, and I made a field for the games' Gamerankings.com score.  I discovered that a lot of games I *really* like scored in the low 80th or high 70th percentile.  One was even a 67!

Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »

Oh, and re: the historicity of the Game in question, you guys should read this (hilarious) review at Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84644

I think I do have a complaint about the game to register: the music.  It's not bad, but I'm getting really tired of the music which plays during camp mode or while setting up your army.  I'm actually taking a break from the game just to get away from it.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »

How the crap can the reviewer say it is an excellent videogame in his conclusion but give it a 7/10? That doesn't make sense to me...

Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 06:50:59 PM »

I think it's because he's British and doesn't appreciate the fact that the British are evil.  And the game is unhistorical.

terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »

ill check out brave story, an 8.8 is a worthy review. i usually use ign for their reviews and sometimes gamespot.com, ign has gotten way too commercial recently though.

re:music in jeanne d'arc i nevre really noticed. i usually plug my ears with my ipod. from what i remember it was pretty repetitive, listening to any track for 2 hours at a time will get old real fast.

come to think of it i never listen to game music :D it always goes on "mute" until someone speaks.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 02:03:03 PM »

In terms of great PSP games, here's what I've played and loved.  I'll put an asterisk next to RPGs.

God of War
FFT *
Jeanne d'Arc *
Syphon Filter (both of them, although I prefer the first)
Disgaea *
Burnout Legends
Patapon (more OK than "loved" - sort of RPG - see my review)
X-Men Legends II *
Puzzle Quest (sort of RPG)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance *
Killzone (more OK than "loved")
Pursuit Force (second one's better than the first)
I love the Katamari games, although I haven't played it on PSP
Dungeon Siege is OK
Justice League Heroes is pretty good
I thought both of the Untold Legends games were OK, too.

Anyway, that's a bunch, and I may have missed one or two.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »

Ones I LOVED:

FFT: War of the Lions
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Jeanne d'Arc
God of War: Chains of Olympus

Ones I thought were decent:

Final Fantasy I (Anniversary Edition)
Megaman X Maverick Hunter (this is a classic, but the music was awful compared to the original and really bummed me out)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (need to be a Tales freak to get the most out of this one)
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (finicky camera annoyed the crap out of me, but its a great game otherwise)

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »

Seems nobody has mentioned, but there's also the Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP. It has Phantasy Star II, III and IV. That is of course if you are into old school RPGs.

There's also games like Power Stone Collection, Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles, and hopefully ports of the remakes of Star Ocean 1 and 2 in the near future.

And there's also Breath of Fire III, it came out in europe, a port of the Psone version (jebus bless the PSP for being multiregion)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: