Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 12:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340869 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  voice acting so bad its funny.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: voice acting so bad its funny.  (Read 8162 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:20:35 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

looks like i'll be playing the game with japanese voices D:

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:03:05 AM »

Wow... sub-Shining Force 3/Star Ocean 2 quality voice acting! Yuri sounds ridiculously camp and Karin sounds like the actress was half-asleep. I thought we were past the days of truly awful voice acting in RPGs, it seems not.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »

I wouldn't even call it voice acting, just voice...
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:23:25 AM »

Wow, that is impressively bad voice acting.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »

One of the many reasons why I don't play domestic releases.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 10:01:40 AM »

This is exceptionally horrible.  This feels more like a joke than anything (or a low budget + localizers friends).

I'm pretty sure they are just reading.
A shame too, since English voice acting seems to have gotten better.  This feels like 8 steps back.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »

I'm not surprised the voice acting in Chaos Wars is on par with Mega Man 8's.  I mean, the US publisher O~3 is new, and according to Pat's review rather inept at localizations and marketing, therefore has, like, no money and therefore couldn't afford actual unionized voice talent, especially not the original voice actors for their respective games.  So they probably just had their staff do the voices to save a buck.  The only time this actually worked was with Septerra Core.  

Companies with more capital like Rockstar Games can actually hire good voice talent.

http://www.audioatrocities.com (scads of bad VG voice acting clips.)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »

Wow, and to think people said War of the Lions' voice acting was bad (people obviously born without ears).

You've gotta admit, it does take a lot of talent to voice-act that badly without bursting into laughter.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 10:56:11 AM »

That was just...omfg hilarious.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 12:28:18 PM »

Man that is horrendous. Quite possible the worst I have ever heard.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 04:04:02 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I'm not surprised the voice acting in Chaos Wars is on par with Mega Man 8's.

This isn't on par with MM8's, Chaos Wars actually makes that look like Metal Gear or something. Admittedly this dub is one in a million, as this was surpassed frequently by games from then, let alone modern titles.

Nice how they screwed up the names too and paid no attention to what the SH:C localized names were. After checking Wikipedia to be sure on the last two, Yuri -> Uru, Nicolai -> Nicole, Karin -> Karen, the last being the most minor of them. Admittedly I guess they're trying to remain more accurate than the original localizations, but I'd rather just have the familiarity rather than 'why the fuck is he being called Uru?'
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »

I did lol at "Venom Bless" (supposed to be Venom Breath) when I read it in Pat's review.  

I know Pat's usually more forgiving of localizations than other reviewers, so if he says it's bad, it's steaming-pile-of-hippo-dookie-in-your-face bad.

I said this before in the Crossover thread, but I'm still surprised that Chaos Wars even made it to US shores, especially considering that the original games many of the characters are in are unknown or marginally known in the US.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Dincrest"
I'm not surprised the voice acting in Chaos Wars is on par with Mega Man 8's.

This isn't on par with MM8's, Chaos Wars actually makes that look like Metal Gear or something. Admittedly this dub is one in a million, as this was surpassed frequently by games from then, let alone modern titles.

Nice how they screwed up the names too and paid no attention to what the SH:C localized names were. After checking Wikipedia to be sure on the last two, Yuri -> Uru, Nicolai -> Nicole, Karin -> Karen, the last being the most minor of them. Admittedly I guess they're trying to remain more accurate than the original localizations, but I'd rather just have the familiarity rather than 'why the fuck is he being called Uru?'

Those translations are actually more faithful to the Japanese version. Yuri is Urmnaf in Japan, shortened to Uru throughout Covenant. Karin is actually Kallen (thus Karen is closer) in Japan. Nicolai is also Nicolai in Japan, but when transliterated it becomes something close to Nicole in English.

They were actually more faithful than Midway's translations were.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 04:34:36 PM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
Those translations are actually more faithful to the Japanese version. Yuri is Urmnaf in Japan, shortened to Uru throughout Covenant. Karin is actually Kallen (thus Karen is closer) in Japan. Nicolai is also Nicolai in Japan, but when transliterated it becomes something close to Nicole in English.

They were actually more faithful than Midway's translations were.

Quote from: "I"
Admittedly I guess they're trying to remain more accurate than the original localizations, but I'd rather just have the familiarity rather than 'why the fuck is he being called Uru?'
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »

What.

the.

FUCK!?

That clip sounds like someone put the voice cast on morphine or anesthetic before shoving them into the recording booth!  Were they even awake when they did this?

To be honest when I read Pat's review, I was seriously hoping he was exaggerating, seeing as how I tend to agree with him when he talks about VAs in his reviews.  Guess that's another one he's got me on.  :P

Ugh...it's lazy ass acting like that that tends to validate the whole sub vs. dub wars still raging all over the internet.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: