Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:45:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330049 Posts in 13524 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  voice acting so bad its funny.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: voice acting so bad its funny.  (Read 8075 times)
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »

From what I hear, Japanese voice acting really isn't all that better than English voice acting. And Japanese voice actors do tend to do a lousy job saying English words, typically adding an -oh or -uh to them, which I know has something to do with how they're spelled in Katakana, but it might be nice if they actually said them like the English-speaking world would. I personally think many think Japanese voice acting is better simply because they can't understand it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
I personally think many think Japanese voice acting is better simply because they can't understand it.

This. I'll take an atrocity I can't understand over one I can.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 06:47:07 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I personally think many think Japanese voice acting is better simply because they can't understand it.

This. I'll take an atrocity I can't understand over one I can.

I agree full-heartedly with both statements.

I suppose budget is an issue.  But man, this is found-on-the-street voices without a doubt.  Shit, I mean, go to a local drama class in high school even.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »

Quote from: Dice
Quote from: "Eusis"

local drama class in high school even.

This is worse than anything I've heard from any high school theatre program.

Can someone confirm this is real? It all sounds like a joke to me. The dialogue, acting, everything... just terrible.

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »

Ramza's review essentially confirms it, referring to Yuri as Uru and his description of how he sounds fits the VA in the clip. Oh, and there's more.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »

I find the badness of this voice acting bizarre.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »

I don't think it would come off as bad if there were background music.

It sounds like there's a group of my friends sitting next to me reading the lines. The dead silence destroys the immersiveness.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 10:57:57 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
I don't think it would come off as bad if there were background music.

It sounds like there's a group of my friends sitting next to me reading the lines. The dead silence destroys the immersiveness.

The lack of inflection helps to destroy it, too. Also, are your friends robots? I don't know anyone who talks like the characters in Chaos Wars. I'm not sure there's a person on Earth who's so totally joyless.

edit:
Not trying to be a dick, here. I'm just blown away by how awful those VAs are :P

[/url]
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 11:02:39 PM »

No way in hell that's not intentional. And if it is intentional, which I think it is, it's brilliant.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 12:33:39 AM »

From what I hear, Japanese voice acting really isn't all that better than English voice acting.

Unless you understand Japanese, that statement couldn't be more invalid.  If you don't understand the words spoken, there is no way you could evaluate the quality of the voice actor's presentation of them.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 01:26:02 AM »

well, not all japanese VAs are bad

seriously, its like english VAs on english games - more likely to match...
the japanese language has a tendency to overact and work well, which doesnt translate well into english
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 03:23:22 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
From what I hear, Japanese voice acting really isn't all that better than English voice acting.

Unless you understand Japanese, that statement couldn't be more invalid.  If you don't understand the words spoken, there is no way you could evaluate the quality of the voice actor's presentation of them.

So I have no right to criticize Japanese voice acting, even if a middle-aged man is voiced by a 3-year-old girl?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 04:00:17 AM »

This is getting pretty dumb given that the guy said he heard that Japanese VA typically isn't that much better than English VA. Meaning he heard someone else say that and it's not his opinion. Shig's a better authority on the actual qualify of Japanese voice acting, but I'm inclined to believe that these days there's not really a significant quality difference between the English/Japanese dubs.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 04:03:21 AM »

Quote from: "Raziel"

So I have no right to criticize Japanese voice acting, even if a middle-aged man is voiced by a 3-year-old girl?

That's a ridiculous example, heh.  

Bart Simpson is 10 year old character; his voice actress is a 50 year old woman.  So no, such criticism would be equally invalid, as age/gender often have little bearing on a quality of a person's voice.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 05:44:04 AM »

So no, such criticism would be equally invalid, as age/gender often have little bearing on a quality of a person's voice.

I think, in the incredibly rare case of it being a 3 year old, it would have a pretty strong bearing on the quality of that character’s voice.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: