Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 12:54:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328013 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  voice acting so bad its funny.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: voice acting so bad its funny.  (Read 8044 times)
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 06:30:18 AM »

Which is why I said "that's a ridiculous example" and then promptly dismissed it.

Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 09:49:27 AM »

The game's Voice Acting makes me want to weep and than die.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »

And to go tangential, there's the perception of voice acting in different parts of the world.  In Japan and Europe, doing voice acting is more highly regarded than in the US.  In Japan, some seiyuu, like the legendary Megumi Hayashibara, are household names and sometimes more famous than live actors.  Are seiyuu in Japan decently paid?  

At least back when my parents lived in England, there was a storytelling culture and lending one's voice talents for a storybook on cassette or an animated program was highly regarded.  In England, the queen herself would occasionally read storybooks on cassette.  

But in America, doing voice acting and voice over work is not as highly regarded as live acting.  Many American voice actors are "has been" actors.  Although it is becoming more highly regarded (i.e. big name celebs wanting to provide voices for Pixar or Dreamworks films), and people like Frank Welker have been doing extremely well in it for decades, it's not as highly regarded as "live" acting.  And I'm willing to bet that voice actors are paid far less than TV, film, and stage counterparts.  

So though I do think that no matter where you go there is both good and bad voice acting, the perception of voice acting within the cultural context is not something that can be ignored.

And I still think that if O~3 had a budget/more disposable income, they could have hired trained voice actors and done a better job with the localization.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 02:09:13 PM »

In addition to voice acting, there's also this little thing called voice directing. Bad directors can result in even good actors doing lousy performances. For instance, Grandia Xtreme had Dean Cain, Mark Hamill, and Lisa Loeb, but still had terrible voicework. The Digital Devil Saga games, on the other hand, didn't have big-name celebrities doing the voices, but still had superb voice acting.

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 02:46:49 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
From what I hear, Japanese voice acting really isn't all that better than English voice acting.

Unless you understand Japanese, that statement couldn't be more invalid.  If you don't understand the words spoken, there is no way you could evaluate the quality of the voice actor's presentation of them.

THIS.

In the end, it really does come down to personal preference.  I've played some games in japanese where fans will swear by the voice acting until the day they die, but I find myself wondering what they're smoking.  The same goes for english voice acting, obviously.  Have you guys read some of the comments in that YouTube link in the opening post?

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 02:51:41 PM »

I've watched a lot of anime in Japanese (with subs of course,) and almost all the female voices grate my ears, since so many of them are high-pitched. Then there's always the guy with the ultra-low, epic voice that sounds cool, but doesn't fit the character.

Anyways, yeah, the voice acting was awgul. I closed the tab after a minute. The girl who voiced Karen was even worse than the other voices.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 03:24:21 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I did lol at "Venom Bless" (supposed to be Venom Breath) when I read it in Pat's review.  

I know Pat's usually more forgiving of localizations than other reviewers, so if he says it's bad, it's steaming-pile-of-hippo-dookie-in-your-face bad.

Quoted for re-emphasis.

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »

Ahahahaha wow thanks, I needed that laugh. The guys sound prissy, the girls sound sedated. I love it!

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »

Quote from: everluck
Quote from: "Dice"
Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
I personally think many think Japanese voice acting is better simply because they can't understand it.

local drama class in high school even.

This is worse than anything I've heard from any high school theatre program.

Can someone confirm this is real? It all sounds like a joke to me. The dialogue, acting, everything... just terrible.

Don't diss high school theatre. Our productions are better than a lot of professional productions. But then again, a great deal of high school theatre sucks so I'll let the generalization slide. :p

But seriously, this is the shittiest thing I've ever heard. I can't believe this got past...any level of production. I'd rather have no voice acting than bad voice acting. Actually, I would be fine if most games did not have voice acting at all.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 05:44:22 PM »

Personally, I'm of the opinion that bad voice acting in this day and age is done on purpose for the sake of comedy.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 05:48:55 PM »

... Admittedly if I played this game I might want to keep it in english for the comedy factor, and it's not like it's some gripping epic drama that'd be ruined by bad VA. It's a silly crossover strategy RPG.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 05:51:20 PM »

The creepy artwork would prevent me from taking the game seriously, regardless of the voice acting quality.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »

It's the man named Nicole!  The sub/dub debate always amuses me because you usually have a choice to listen to one or the other these days.  Now if this game had just this dub, then yeah, scary stuff there.

My favorite part of the clips had to be the ambiguously gay performance of Uru.  Talk about great unintentional (?) irony.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
The sub/dub debate always amuses me because you usually have a choice to listen to one or the other these days.  Now if this game had just this dub, then yeah, scary stuff there.

It actually seems to be way, way calmer these days, almost non-existent. Probably for that reason, but also higher quality work and a lot of people simply downloading fansubs and making it nigh-irrelevent.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
Personally, I'm of the opinion that bad voice acting in this day and age is done on purpose for the sake of comedy.

It doesn't hurt as much if you think of it like that anyway. :/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: