Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 05:11:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319118 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xbox 360: RPG Title Announcement Media Event
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Xbox 360: RPG Title Announcement Media Event  (Read 19212 times)
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:15:02 PM »

http://blogs.ign.com/Erik-IGN/2008/06/06/92208/

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8762178&publicUserId=4549175
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »

Cry-On is probably going to make its appearance.  That's my guess.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »

hopefully there'll be some unannounced games being err... announced :p

seriously, i hope its not just a couple of new trailers for games we already know are being made...

but agreed on Cry-On - we need more footage from that...
Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »

Great.
They're going to announce more reasons for me to want to buy a console that I can't afford.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »

Although it probably won't happen, what I'd like to see is the Microsoft representative to walk onto stage, say "Final.  Fantasy.  Thirteen" and then close the meeting. :)

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Although it probably won't happen, what I'd like to see is the Microsoft representative to walk onto stage, say "Final.  Fantasy.  Thirteen" and then close the meeting. :)

How about no...

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"

If you want it, buy a PS3...
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"

If you want it, buy a PS3...

You just requested he drop upwards of $400 for a single game. :P Doesn't that sound a bit weird?

I'm all for multi-platform release of larger titles. Exclusives bother me in the same way non-standard parts bother me. I love HP printers, but I dislike that they went over to propriety power cords for no good reason, other than to make consumers buy /their/ replacement power cords.

Similarly, there's a reason I like the idea of multi-system releases. I don't want to have to drop half a paycheck on hardware just because of propriety hardware.

If there's one thing I like about PC gaming (and that's not much), it's the standards maintained. You do not require an Intel or AMD processor FOR SURE to run any particular game, nor do you require a specific graphics card. Certain pieces may come highly recommended due to marketing deals, but they are not required. The flipside of that is having to upgrade for top-line graphics and all, but even then it's not as bad, considering how much more a PC does for you. It's one reason I'm really liking this Cider thing the Mac is doing, because it's begun to break down that horrible barrier that existed between Macs and PCs were games were concerned. Not to mention the whole Bootcamp and Parallels workaround.

The biggest reason however, is because then we can put the "war" about brand loyalty and all its ugliness behind us for good.

Pardon my thread hijacking.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 04:25:36 PM »

But if we don't have exclusives, whats the point of the different systems?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 04:36:43 PM »

In regards to exclusives: Unlike printer parts, keeping a game to a single system means it can take better advantage of the hardware. If it's made to be multiplatform then it has to keep the hardware of other consoles in mind, and as such may have to compromise itself. Which brings out the disadvantage PCs have (kind of) in that you have to develop for the lowest common denominator or you'll lose many potential sales. When there's only one configuration to worry about, they can flex the hardware fully. Similarly, Wii/PS2 cross releases generally mean that it can't use the Wii controls as effectively.

Plus kinda like what Blace noted, it sucks to have multiple consoles but every title worth a damn is on the other system anyway.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »

I`d like to see more Cry On. I wasn`t a fan of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but as they say, third time`s a charm. So, I`m keeping my fingers crossed. I just hope they don`t use the horrible Unreal 3 engine again. It just doesn`t work for JRPGs.

About FFXIII on Xbox 360... I guess now that we are past the whole "I want MGS4 on Xbox 360" stupidity and people realized that it`s never going to happen, we`ll have to endure at least a year of "where`s FFXIII for my 360" instead.

But if we don't have exclusives, whats the point of the different systems?

This.

Truer words have never been spoken. Without exclusives there would be no point for multiple systems to exist. And if there was only one system, its maker would never have to address any issues consumers have with it due to the lack of fear of competition.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 05:06:35 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan Ingram"
and people realized that it`s never going to happen

This is rather presumptuous... The only difference between a PS3 MGS4 and an Xbox360 MGS4 is time. The other MGS's were touted as Sony exclusive, but they all got ported to Xbox. You dig? Give it about a year, 360 users will have MGS4. I'm almost sure of it.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
The other MGS's were touted as Sony exclusive, but they all got ported to Xbox.

Only MGS2. MGS1 got ported to the PC and remade for GC, and MGS3 never saw release on another platform. In fact MGS2 may've done poorly enough on the Xbox to keep Konami from bothering.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »

The issue is that of a paradigm shift. Console gaming relies on a hardware difference as its main division of the industry. PC gaming does not. Yes there are different setups to PC gaming (far more in variety than consoles), but the hardware isn't as locked down.

The point is that we're playing to a propriety setup now. If console gaming starts having installations on hard drives as a major component, there's no real reason to stick /with/ consoles in their current format. I personally would like to avoid the installation issue, but who knows if that'll happen? It's more likely that as time goes on, installation will become more and more prevalent, a future I abhor in one regard, but might welcome in another.

The reason for welcoming it will be the shift in paradigm, from propriety hardware to a more open-standards market. Suddenly it won't be consoles the companies will have to design, so much as input systems. The Wii has proven to me that a cheaper solution with an innovative input system is the way to go. Maybe it doesn't always work, but it's still a breath of fresh air. The same with the DS.

Depending on how quickly we lose the propriety issue, or how closely we stick to it, we may see large companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo becoming PC hardware manufacturers, input scheme developers, or just plain game studios.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »

Give it about a year, 360 users will have MGS4.

Kojima disagrees with you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjR6cUnjJss&feature=user
^
It`s a small codec conversation from MGS4 in which Otacon sort of takes a jab at the 360, but don`t worry - there are no spoilers of any kind in it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: