Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 12:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331641 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xbox 360: RPG Title Announcement Media Event
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Xbox 360: RPG Title Announcement Media Event  (Read 19651 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan Ingram"
I just hope they don`t use the horrible Unreal 3 engine again. It just doesn`t work for JRPGs.

How do you figure.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »

I really like the Wii, but god dammit!!, there is not a single good RPG in there... letīs wait for skyes of arcadia...

Iīm really impressed by the ammount of effort mycrosoft is putting in Japan, I wonder games are they developing?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 05:51:58 PM »

Err.. I really would take a look at My Life as a King before you say "no good RPGs". It's not the slam-bang greatest thing ever, but it's a pretty good title, especially at only $15. There's also Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn which is pretty damned awesome, and Super Paper Mario.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »

Radiant Dawn is awesome.  Well, except the ending which is freakin' terrible.  But everything else about it is awesome, especially if you played Path of Radiance.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 05:59:35 PM »

Give it about a year, 360 users will have MGS4.

Kojima disagrees with you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjR6cUnjJss&feature=user
^
It`s a small codec conversation from MGS4 in which Otacon sort of takes a jab at the 360, but don`t worry - there are no spoilers of any kind in it.

That was FREAKING AWESOME.

And as for RPG's on the Wii, My Life as a King is a pretty good game and Radiant Dawn was awesome. I didn't like Super Paper Mario as much as the first two.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 06:15:24 PM »

How do you figure.

Lost Odyssey was a mess technically: long ass loading times, uneven frame rate, v-sync problems(at least on my TV there were). Sure, maybe Artoon are just really shitty devs, but I personally think that UE3 is what`s at fault here.

That was FREAKING AWESOME.

Otacon = Sony viral marketer :P. I`m surprised he didn`t say "Sony shoots for the Sun". Kutaragi would be proud.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »

Gears of War looks remarkably better than Lost Odyssey, yet did not have excessive load times, had a pretty stable framerate, etc.  The same can be said of Bioshock.

The engine isn't the problem.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 06:21:11 PM »

Since this has been brought up...
I just hope they don`t use the horrible Unreal 3 engine again. It just doesn`t work for developers who don't know how to properly utilize it.

Fixed it for you, but actually Lost Odyssey used it fairly well. Look at Mass Effect, that had the 'loading textures as the game's playing' that Halo 2 had, but about 10 times worse. That most likely can be blamed more on screwy priorities than anything else, those textures were preposterously detailed.

Also, Artoon didn't develop Lost Odyssey, Feelplus did, and they're staffed by ex-Nautilus staff.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
Gears of War looks remarkably better than Lost Odyssey, yet did not have excessive load times, had a pretty stable framerate, etc.  The same can be said of Bioshock.

The engine isn't the problem.

Silicon Knights didn't sue Epic for no reason, a lot of people had problems optimizing UE3, Bioshock is one of the few exceptions and it runs on a heavily modified version. I think feel+ would have been better off making their own engine from scratch, but I guess there would be no point now that they've done a full game with UE3.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »

Quote from: "jj984jj"
a lot of people had problems optimizing UE3

You might want to be a little more specific than that.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »

We'll see how well Square Enix can use it when Last Remnant comes out. If that game has problems, then I see the issue. Otherwise, its the developers fault all the way, in my opinion.

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
Quote from: "jj984jj"
a lot of people had problems optimizing UE3

You might want to be a little more specific than that.

Developers who have had problems with UE3:
- Silicon Knights
- feel+
- Koei Canada
- N-Fusion
- High Moon
- Cheyenne Mountain
And more:
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=468
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 09:35:59 PM »

There were more positive comments in the article you linked than negative.  Developers who seem to be having no problems with Unreal:

2K Studios
Artificial Studios
Avalon Style Entertainment
DICE
Electronic Arts
NCSoft
Propaganda Games
Sega
Square Enix
Ubisoft

In fact, Sega extended their UE3 license just two weeks ago.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sega-extends-unreal-engine-3-license
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 11:31:55 PM »

Way too much UE3 defense for a mediocre engine certainly not suited to this type of game.  Feelplus said themselves that the Unreal Engine was a huge mistake in development for their Japanese team on a JRPG like Lost Odyssey in their interview with Gamasutra.  Even they admit they should have made their own engine since Unreal does not cater to JRPG development style and Japanese development practices, they even mention the lackluster Japanese documentation.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 12:04:22 AM »

It's a good thing you're here to tell us all about how a small-time studio that made one game doesn't like the engine.  Otherwise Epic might have had all of us fooled.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: