Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338756 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Incredible Hulk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Incredible Hulk  (Read 2210 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »

Just saw it a few days ago, and I wasn't very impressed. This is a lot more pronounced considering the fact that Iron Man only came out a few weeks ago, and that film was much better. The film covers a lot of plot at blinding speed while filling the rest of the time with interesting but meaningless action. It was all very fun to watch, and I liked the humor, but it was a jumbled mess overall. Was there really a need to reboot a movie after one installment?

I liked Ang Lee's Hulk a lot more because it was a better film directed at a general audience instead of falling back into mindless special effects like this one did.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »

Word on the street is that the movie got chopped up quite a bit in the editing room, and most of the cuts were the talky bits that fleshed out things.  I haven't seen it so I don't know, but it sounds like that sense you had of things rushing ahead at full speed would be explained by that.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »

I actually liked this movie quite a bit. The action was great and I liked the characters. I actually thought this was better than Iron Man, because I was one of the few that thought Iron Man was overrated. There was little to know action in that movie and the villain was LAME. The final battle was also incredibly lame and didn't meet my expectations. Don't get me wrong, Iron Man was OK, I just liked The Incredible Hulk more.

Also, Ang Lee's hulk wasn't that great because the Hulk is all about the smashing, and his version was all about everything BUT the smashing, therefore VERY boring.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »

Ang Lee's Hulk was a good concept film and nothing more. It was something I'm happy I got to see, but would never ever want to watch again.

I loved Iron Man, but I haven't had a chance to see the new Hulk. Most impressions I've heard about it are leaning towards "just OK," which is fitting with the overall views of critics.

[/url]
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:19:25 AM »

Quote from: "Blace"
Also, Ang Lee's hulk wasn't that great because the Hulk is all about the smashing, and his version was all about everything BUT the smashing, therefore VERY boring.

100% Agreed. Let's face it, The Hulk has never been an engrossing and awe inspiring story, it's a fucking story about ANGER.

Special Effects showing shit being destroyed = Hulk.

...film directed at a general audience instead of falling back into mindless special effects like this one did. = Not Hulk, that's called Ang Lee sucking.

Ang Lee could have made his Hulk like his other major movies, very niche style(see Crouching Tiger, Brokeback, S&S), not this Hollywood cater to everyone bullshit.

At least this new Hulk seems to be catering to the geeks and people who have realized that comic book movies CAN be taken seriously.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 02:22:33 AM »

Word on the street is that the movie got chopped up quite a bit in the editing room

That would explain a lot. But even so, editing really shouldn't be this bad. The movie had terrible pacing and that really kills it for film audiences. I knew what was going on, but a lot of other people sure wouldn't.

I actually thought this was better than Iron Man, because I was one of the few that thought Iron Man was overrated.

I will agree that Iron Man was overrated but I will not agree that The Incredible Hulk was better. The thing that made Iron Man so good was Robert Downey Jr. defining the Tony Stark character very well. Ed Norton is a good actor, but didn't feel that Bruce Banner was very fleshed out as an interesting character. He felt rather nondescript, and I couldn't care or be interested in him in any way other than just generally.

Action is better for The Incredible Hulk, but (This is just my opinion) when a hero is 100% CG it makes it difficult to feel like he is in any real danger. I can still suspend my belief enough though- like I said, I had a lot of fun watching The Incredible Hulk, but that's really about it.

At least this new Hulk seems to be catering to the geeks and people who have realized that comic book movies CAN be taken seriously.

That was the problem everyone had with Hulk though- it was taken TOO seriously. The story of two adults who have had problems with their fathers all their life was too depressing for a lot of people, and the film tried to look at some real issues that are within the world (Which is something a lot of comic books lose when they're transferred to the big screen).

I will agree that Ang Lee was being kind of silly thinking he could do something new with the superhero movie genre and have a good reception for it, but I think comic book fans are being too hard on Hulk the same way a lot of critics are being too hard on The Incredible Hulk. They're looking for things that arn't there but don't see what the film ends up doing very well.

Just for discussion's sake, I guess, I'll put in some stuff I wrote on another forum. You can skip this if you're a tl;dr kinda guy though. Some of it is just repetition of what I said above anyway.

1. Story/Characters were actually interesting.

In Ang Lee's Hulk, I found myself actually caring about the characters. I never imagined in a million years that would be moved by a superhero movie, so I was amazed at what Ang Lee had done. This, however, was a mixed bag. I realize Lee chose the wrong audience to do this with, as most of the people going to watch a movie like Hulk are more than likely expecting an insipid mish-mash of action sequences, and that's exactly what people got with T.I. Hulk.

2. Story was receptive to all audiences.

In T.I. Hulk, the background story is explained through a series of pictures at the beginning of the movie, and if you miss any of this, you'll not have a clue of what the hell is going on screen until about a half an hour in when they explain some of this stuff, and most of it is given piece-by-piece. It's incredibly annoying to me when comic book movies are too self-indulgent in their source material, and T.I. Hulk makes this mistake all over the place. I watched this movie with my father, someone who you would never imagine being at a Superhero movie, and he was constantly asking me questions at the beginning of the movie because he was really confused as to what was going on. Around the middle and end parts he was fine, but then there was the very end where Tony Stark appears and alludes to the formation of The Avengers. Most people don't know what the hell he's talking about- not everyone reads comics or knows about the superhero teams. Please, please, film directors: Be receptive to all of your audience. There's even less of a reason to make this one confusing because this was a reboot, not a sequel.

Don't worry though, my dad enjoyed the film, mostly. :P

3. Style.

Ang Lee's Hulk had a distinctive comic book style that I had never seen done before with films, and I know this was very subjective, but I found it to be really interesting and innovative way to make the movie seem fresh. Not much else to say here, I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I liked it because of it making a deep impression as a standalone movie.

Now I'm aware of a lot of the counterpoints, so I'm going to say the things I liked about T.G.Hulk better: The Action and The Humor. I don't think any further explanation is necessary.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:32 AM »

Going to see the new one tomorrow, so can't comment yet.  I do want to say one thing, though - I've seen people elsewhere complaining about the fact that Banner has father issues in the Ang Lee movie.  Just to be perfectly clear, according to the comics, he has HUGE father issues.  They're a big part of what made him the Hulk (as opposed to some other kind of monster).  It just doesn't make for what people are looking for in a comic book movie.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:43:45 AM »

I always felt Ang Lee's Hulk was really poorly paced, and that the interesting ideas about Hulk's past didn't really mesh well with the Hulk smash stuff (especially fighting the poodles and his shape-shifting dad).

This was pretty much a run of the mill comic book movie, but I still thought it was fun. Ang Lee’s Hulk just wasn’t fun at all for me.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: