Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:45:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319209 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime Advice: Cowboy Bebop
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Anime Advice: Cowboy Bebop  (Read 7630 times)
Morphamadol

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:32:20 AM »

I just got through watching the Cowboy Bebop series along with the movie. Now I am by no means an anime connoisseur but CB has now got to be one of my all time favourite television shows period, I was hooked from start to finish and the ending was all I wanted it to be and more.

Now I realise I am a little late to the game, but are there any other anime series I should be checking out that are similar, if not just in style to Cowboy Bebop?

The only other series I ever really got into were Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell, but I personally feel CB was the superior, although they were all pretty good!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Yours truly,

Morph.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:52:51 AM »

Don't really have any input other than having to say I'm in exactly the same boat you are.

Love CB. Checked out the manga after watching the anime, but couldn't get into it the same way.

[/url]
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »

Check out Trigun and Outlaw Star. All three were made back in '98.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »

I don't really know what you mean by style, but Samurai Champloo is very similar to Cowboy Bebop aside from the music being rap instead of jazz, and the setting being feudal Japan. Both CB and Samurai Champloo were made by Sunrise, and, if I'm not mistaken, were directed by the same dude.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:50:36 PM »

Nope, you're not mistaken.

... In fact, Samurai Champloo probably is the best suggestion. Outlaw Star sounds like a poor man's Cowboy Bebop, but Trigun might be worth a look. It's not generally as well regarded and I think they're worlds apart in quality, but it's still a pretty good anime.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »

Outlaw Star > Trigun. Don't let any weeaboos tell you different. Outlaw Star may pay a little less homage to the physical cowboy motif, but a heck of a lot more to its spirit.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »

I beg to differ.  I thought Outlaw Star was entertaining but nothing spectacular.  Few people agree with me but Trigun is my absolute favorite anime series.  Yes the beginning is very lacking but once the story kicks in I think it really takes off.  That said, I don't think either Trigun or Outlaw Star is anything like Cowboy Bebop.  Samurai Champloo is definitely the best bet for something similar.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 11:30:22 PM »

The first two seasons of Rurouni Kenshin are pretty awesome. Different style, but still....great characters, great story.

Samurai Champloo is pretty fucking great too, the action is well done, the characters are well written, and the vibe is....cool.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 11:31:19 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Don't let any weeaboos tell you different.

What the hell does this have to do with weeaboos.
Morphamadol

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 04:41:44 AM »

Thanks guys I will check out Samurai Champloo!
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 04:48:57 AM »

Quote from: "Azrael"
I beg to differ.  I thought Outlaw Star was entertaining but nothing spectacular.  Few people agree with me but Trigun is my absolute favorite anime series.  Yes the beginning is very lacking but once the story kicks in I think it really takes off.  That said, I don't think either Trigun or Outlaw Star is anything like Cowboy Bebop.  Samurai Champloo is definitely the best bet for something similar.

I know a lot of people who absolutely love Trigun, and that's great and all. I just didn't find it a particularly well made series. It's very... pastiche is the right word I suppose. Good moments now and again, but overall it has a pretty weak narrative, and it gets horribly preachy at times. "Blah blah blah killing is bad mmkay blah blah blah". Not particularly interesting, and Rurouni Kenshin had done it previously, with much better effect.

Outlaw Star tends to eschew a lot of the preachiness and really feels like a cowboy epic. The reason I find a lot of people /don't/ like it is because it has an American comic book feel to it, which I actually feel makes it better. Hence the Weaboo comment, Eusis.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 06:51:58 AM »

Huh.

The American comic book feel and Wild West setting of Outlaw Star really intrigues me, although I'm not someone who watches much anime outside of Samurai Champloo and Ghost in the Shell: SAC. If I see it around I might look into it, it's just a shame how expensive anime DVDs are down here.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »

Outlaw Star is one of those anime that is fun to watch. It doesn't try to be epic or preachy or throw stuff at you, it just offers a fun ride.
DarkSageRK
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »

You will like Last Exile.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »

I hadn't considered that before, but yes, Last Exile might suit your fancy. It's not inspired by the Jazz era like Cowboy Bebop is, but it certainly has a style all its own, and is very 'warm' towards a Western perspective on storytelling.

Plus I just love Last Exile, so I'll stand behind it. :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: